BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/15/2016 8:39:51 PM EDT
after 8.5 months on a form 4 look what finally came home

i replaced the upper and furniture to make a more modern M16 out of it...kept the old carbine stock,buffer and upper new in a box for the next owner someday----i made it into the gun i will enjoy shooting

have a BCM 11.5 upper on it.....the suppressor for it should be here in 2 weeks

Link Posted: 11/15/2016 10:40:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Very nice. Go break it in properly.
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 10:57:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Video of a Mag dump!
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 11:16:24 PM EDT
[#3]
probably going to go to my parents house tomorrow and just shoot it at the ground to verify it works....they own a farm, so not much of a backstop and they stopped letting me shoot there when i got FA's.....

just want to verify the upper and buffer setup works....and i guess that the gun works

im going to ditch the burst and go FA after i verify everything works right

no mag dump right now with 3 round burst....curious if muzzle climb is better than Ruger Kac556.....my Ruger is horrible....i have high hopes for a gun thats easy to control

Link Posted: 11/15/2016 11:25:31 PM EDT
[#4]
It's beautiful.
I run a BCM 11.5 upper on my A2 (sometimes) and it runs like a sewing machine on FA.  I think you'll love it.

Did you go with the A5 or the standard carbine RE?
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 8:11:26 AM EDT
[#5]
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Stock-Hardware-Mounting-Kit-Mil-Spec-p/bcm-stock-hardware-kit.htm

this is what i got w a H2 buffer

its what BCM told me would be best..

factory buffer tube from 1984 came off with a nice squeak noise...didnt have to use a breaker bar, just a wrench and a lot of F U

will this buffer setup work well?

Link Posted: 11/16/2016 12:41:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I can't speak from experience on the H2 setup on an M16 - I just took possession of mine in September.  I bought the BCM H2 setup when I first bought the rifle, intending to install it when it got out of jail, but when I actually got my hands on it, I decided to go with the A5 instead.

That said, I run the H2s on pretty much every other AR I own; that's been my default configuration until now.  Just never run it on a FA.  BCM is top shelf, I'm sure it will run great.

That's one of the most beautiful things about the M16 - we can customize pretty much anything we want to if we change our minds.  Adult LEGOs!
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 3:52:39 PM EDT
[#7]
shot 50 rounds today into the dirt at my parents farm(just to make sure it functioned).....wow...very nice....faster than i expected...my guess is 1000-1200rpm with the short barrel....1 continuous noise vs 3 distinct shots

i may keep it as a burst gun for a while....

Link Posted: 11/16/2016 4:51:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
shot 50 rounds today into the dirt at my parents farm(just to make sure it functioned).....wow...very nice....faster than i expected...my guess is 1000-1200rpm with the short barrel....1 continuous noise vs 3 distinct shots

i may keep it as a burst gun for a while....

View Quote

You do not want a m16 running with that high a ROF. I had a well used Colt m4 upper that must have had massive erosion of the gasport. It was doing about 1200, rpm on my m16 lower with m4 stock and H-buffer when suppressed. It had very significant trigger slap, which is obviously not good. It means the hammer is impacting the disconnector with a great deal of force. This risks egging the FCG pin holes. I ran one mag, then retired that upper.
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 5:14:36 PM EDT
[#9]
I own three, 2 A1's and a A2, don't just go out and start dumping, get to know the gun and figure out how it works, the A2 is great and the burst mode is fun to play with and it helps not wear things out.

But again, get to know your gun and what little quirks it has before busting chops with it.  Every individual M16 out there has its own personality..
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 6:01:59 PM EDT
[#10]
standard spring and a h2 buffer....BCM told me that was correct for a 11.5" upper....i also told them i didnt want exhaust in my face when i put my suppressor on

im shooting wolf gold .223

i will video it next time i get a chance.....that would be the best way to judge how fast is too fast
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 10:14:03 AM EDT
[#11]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QODia3TOVjs

this is approx the speed im getting out of my burst.....looks like 1000rpm to me..

is this normal ROF?

do i need an adjustable gas block?
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 10:49:40 AM EDT
[#12]

The ROF in that video is considerably higher than I get.  With three-round bursts, it's tough to tell how much higher, but it's very noticeable.

I have a video (no, I won't post it here because there are friends and family in it as well) of me doing a 60 round mag dump, so I timed it.  My ROF is 755 RPM as closely as I can time it.

That isn't with my BCM upper, though.  I bought a Palmetto State 10.5 CHF upper for the sole purpose of doing mag dumps.  The ROF with this upper (the one I timed) is a bit higher than with my BCM 11.5 upper.

With my Colt M4A1 16" upper, it's lower still.  With either the BCM upper or the Colt upper, friends who've never handled a MG before can easily get 2 round bursts.

The BCM upper has a gemtech adjustable carrier and a BCM bolt, the PSA and the Colt both have Colt BCGs.  The ROF with the Gemtech carrier is about the same when it's set to suppressed with a suppressor (surefire SOCOM 556RC), as it is set to unsuppressed without a suppressor.

The ROF mentioned above is with the A5 RE (Magpul 10 position tube, Magpul rifle spring) and an A5-2 buffer.  The ROF with the Colt upper is slow enough to be a bit choppy, and i now usually put an A5-0 buffer in, when using that one, to speed it up a bit.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 11:51:04 AM EDT
[#13]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0qojBF41Jw

i would say this is approx 750-800 rpm correct?

is this the speed i should expect from a m16?

i own a Ac556, so i can bring both to the range and compare...
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 12:01:22 PM EDT
[#14]
It's definitely slower than @ 755 RPM.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 12:24:34 PM EDT
[#15]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76OBtCbPyAs

another video...similar speed....looks like ammo coming out at 3oclock

if this is the speed i have & its ejecting at 3 oclock----would you leave it alone?

BCM says my setup is still correct....i got an email back from them....they mention trying a H3 buffer

using a H3 wouldnt hurt anything would it? just slow things down right?

Link Posted: 11/17/2016 5:45:44 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a H3 in my M16 with 11.5" PSA upper. Still functions on low power ammo.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 8:08:50 PM EDT
[#17]
are all h3 buffers created equal?

GB has Omega's for like $20ish

BCM is $35ish

just wondering if there is any advantage to buying a BCM

if i put a H3 in there it WILL slow it down correct? any guess how many rpm?   100 ??

my biggest WANT is to eliminate back gassing with a suppressor...thats why i went w/ the H2 in the first place.....not so much for the 11.5" barrel....but to help close the gun back up quickly.....im no M16 expert....still learning

no negative effects for a H3 right? will it wear the spring faster? should i upgrade from the stock BCM carbine spring?

my understanding is if the weight is too heavy the bolt wont be able to cycle back and the gun will fail to eject right?

Link Posted: 11/17/2016 8:17:06 PM EDT
[#18]
You are correct just try it and see.

I don't have a way to measure rof but I didn't notice much difference. A suppressor really increases the rate of fire on my gun compared to unsuppressed.
Standard carbine spring works fine.

Grab a couple types of ammo and load 1-2 rounds and make sure it locks back on empty mag.

I ordered a handful of tungsten weights from kak industries and made my own H-3 from a carbine buffer. Just replace steel weights inside with tungsten.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 10:09:19 PM EDT
[#19]
grabbed an h3 omega for $20 shipped off GB

maybe ill use the h3 for suppressor and h2 for normal....curious how it will effect the gun...for $20 why not play with it
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 12:15:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Really need an AGB if you want to fix it.

Link Posted: 11/19/2016 10:45:16 PM EDT
[#21]
If you want exact rpms, post YouTube videos in the BumpSAW threads.  They're seemingly pretty good @ figuring it, someone has a program and can slow it down to count.
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 6:27:47 PM EDT
[#22]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rV24tcZH5Y0&feature=youtu.be

speed isnt as bad as i remembered.cased ejecting at 3-4 oclock.....burst is easier to control than Ruger KAc556k.....seems if you really lean into it you can put a full burst on a full size human target at 30-40 yards away....i noticed sometimes the 3rd shot went in the head, some times over the head..........wondering if FA has any value on a M16 other than shooting over heads.....Burst is nice

Link Posted: 11/21/2016 12:50:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Uzi 45? kit in background looks nice
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 8:06:04 AM EDT
[#24]
its NOS IMI

had it for sale on GB....having trouble getting it to work in my GI....have it sold for $1000 if a IMI mag i got coming doesnt solve the issue....if you want to be 2nd in line for it PM me

Link Posted: 11/21/2016 11:06:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rV24tcZH5Y0&feature=youtu.be

speed isnt as bad as i remembered.cased ejecting at 3-4 oclock.....burst is easier to control than Ruger KAc556k.....seems if you really lean into it you can put a full burst on a full size human target at 30-40 yards away....i noticed sometimes the 3rd shot went in the head, some times over the head..........wondering if FA has any value on a M16 other than shooting over heads.....Burst is nice
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/21/2016 11:13:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
If you want exact rpms, post YouTube videos in the BumpSAW threads.  They're seemingly pretty good @ figuring it, someone has a program and can slow it down to count.
View Quote

Mk1 earball says about 600 to 650. Longer strings of fire would help. Hopefully Madcap shows up with his magic program.
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 11:20:32 AM EDT
[#27]
I normally analyze RPM from the audio.  I'll try to run the numbers tonight.
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 12:03:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Unless I'm mistaken, that's a NIB US Property marked 6M serial number M16A2 he's shooting.

Link Posted: 11/22/2016 12:13:28 PM EDT
[#29]
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1641834_Official_Bump_SAW_thread__New_video_and_hurt_feels__11_20_2016_.html&page=74#i63247384

Quoted:  I'm on my big computer now, I'll see if I can pull up splits.  

ETA-it's hard to be as precise as normal as the recording is kind of "noisy". Most times I can just look at it and get accuracy down to .001 of a second, other times it's more vague.  This is a more vague one.

Also the three round burst trigger is showing itself.  So a lot of the split times are like .075 to 1. Which is around 600-800 RPM.    
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 12:37:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rV24tcZH5Y0&feature=youtu.be

View Quote

You'll get a much better trigger pull without the 3RB FCG in that lower.  Look at some of Geissele's offerings for FA FCG's.  You'll be impressed.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 12:46:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1641834_Official_Bump_SAW_thread__New_video_and_hurt_feels__11_20_2016_.html&page=74#i63247384

ETA-it's hard to be as precise as normal as the recording is kind of "noisy". Most times I can just look at it and get accuracy down to .001 of a second, other times it's more vague.  This is a more vague one.

Also the three round burst trigger is showing itself.  So a lot of the split times are like .075 to 1. Which is around 600-800 RPM.    

I've got the magic earballs.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 12:49:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1641834_Official_Bump_SAW_thread__New_video_and_hurt_feels__11_20_2016_.html&page=74#i63247384

Which is why I asked you fellas.  As much cross-coordination as possible between the NFA folks and the Bump-fire folks is good for the well-regulated militia.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 5:04:32 PM EDT
[#33]
ive got a FA trigger assembly for it....i wasnt sure how valuable the factory stuff is in there...there is some special markings and even some white dots of paint on the hammer......not sure how much value im taking away from shooting the trigger assembly

after shooting it a 2nd time i knew it was 1000 rpm.....my gut is at 700-800 which is what you guys timed it out for...

would FA change the feel of the gun with bursts?

i was able to shoot some doubles....so i should be able to control my burst to 3-4 rounds.....i know with my Ruger Kac556 i can pick exactly how many rounds on FA

Keep the US Property trigger assembly? or swap out with after market FA assembly?

Link Posted: 11/22/2016 5:07:22 PM EDT
[#34]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYWzySLv210

another video this time my 12 year old and the gun...more good bursts

does he know how much $$$ he is holding in his hands?

Link Posted: 11/22/2016 6:20:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
ive got a FA trigger assembly for it....i wasnt sure how valuable the factory stuff is in there...there is some special markings and even some white dots of paint on the hammer......not sure how much value im taking away from shooting the trigger assembly

after shooting it a 2nd time i knew it was 1000 rpm.....my gut is at 700-800 which is what you guys timed it out for...

i was able to shoot some doubles....so i should be able to control my burst to 3-4 rounds.....i know with my Ruger Kac556 i can pick exactly how many rounds on FA

Keep the US Property trigger assembly? or swap out with after market FA assembly?

View Quote

Keep the factory parts in a baggie. Throw a Geissele in there.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 8:40:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYWzySLv210

another video this time my 12 year old and the gun...more good bursts

does he know how much $$$ he is holding in his hands?
View Quote

Crossposting to the BumpSAW thread.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 9:10:14 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Definitely. I never even pulled my original Colt trigger, just swapped it out for a Geissele SSF immediately.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 9:15:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Definitely. I never even pulled my original Colt trigger, just swapped it out for a Geissele SSF immediately.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

One of the smoothest full auto's I've ever played with was a MK18 from some group guys. The Geissele trigger makes all the difference and select-a-burstsize is stupid easy. Single shots. Two or three round bursts. Etc...all easy with that trigger.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 11:23:43 PM EDT
[#39]
https://geissele.com/super-select-fire-ssfr-trigger.html

this what you guys recommend?

what about the autosear? i have a $75 FA trigger assembly of unknown origin i was planning on using to make it FA.....should i just steal the autosear out of it? is a auto sear an important part of this system that should be from geissele also?

$350  on GB for the trigger group? any deals anywhere on it?

thanks for all the advice...youve got me thinking again of going FA and ditching the Burst

for the future value of the gun it may help to keep the trigger group minty.

Feel vs factory? will it feel completely different?

ive watched video's and swapping out parts looks simple enough...ive got a punch set already for it

Link Posted: 11/23/2016 1:42:33 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

https://geissele.com/super-select-fire-ssfr-trigger.html

this what you guys recommend?

what about the autosear? i have a $75 FA trigger assembly of unknown origin i was planning on using to make it FA.....should i just steal the autosear out of it? is a auto sear an important part of this system that should be from geissele also?

$350  on GB for the trigger group? any deals anywhere on it?

thanks for all the advice...youve got me thinking again of going FA and ditching the Burst

for the future value of the gun it may help to keep the trigger group minty.

Feel vs factory? will it feel completely different?

ive watched video's and swapping out parts looks simple enough...ive got a punch set already for it
View Quote
That's the trigger I have . I recommend the KNS hammer cage for trigger replacement, particularly on an M16 lower.

Link Posted: 11/24/2016 8:25:48 AM EDT
[#41]
I would use a Colt autosear. Also, I would not use KNS FCG pins on your particular m16. They can leave a slight mark in the anodizing and your M16 is a particularly rare one. Geissele's FCG pins are best-in-class. Provided you don't shoot 9mm and that your rifle isn't clocking absurd rpm, the kns pins just aren't needed.
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 8:58:28 AM EDT
[#42]
i was planning on reusing the pins...do pins wear?

also if i left the factory autosear in the gun....does the autosear wear?....i see colt autosears for $19 on GB

Link Posted: 11/24/2016 10:40:10 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

also if i left the factory autosear in the gun....does the autosear wear?....i see colt autosears for $19 on GB

View Quote

I've never personally experienced pin wear, but in an AR-15 that I put together in 2008, the hammer that came in the LKP was not cut right at the disconnector sear.  It would drop the hammer on a slow reset so I replaced it.  Then the hammer pin broke after only a few thousand rounds.  I was suspicious that it was a badly made pin.  A few thousand rounds later, the hammer spring broke.  I became convinced that it was a bad LKP.

Best of luck with your firearm.

MHO, YMMV, etc.
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 11:25:35 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

I would use a Colt autosear. Also, I would not use KNS FCG pins on your particular m16. They can leave a slight mark in the anodizing and your M16 is a particularly rare one. Geissele's FCG pins are best-in-class. Provided you don't shoot 9mm and that your rifle isn't clocking absurd rpm, the kns pins just aren't needed.
View Quote
Just to be clear, I agree about the KNS pins. I don't own any and would not run any, as I always use Geissele triggers. I was referring to the KNS hammer cage, which is a trigger installation tool, that removes all spring tension from the hammer part of the FCG when installing, and reduces the chance of any scuffs happening to the lower.

Link Posted: 11/24/2016 11:33:40 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

View Quote
If you use a Geissele trigger, use the pins that are supplied with the trigger.

Link Posted: 11/24/2016 12:59:01 PM EDT
[#46]
i bid $19 on a Colt m16 autosear on GB.....for $22 shipped why not

thanks for all the advice....ill probably buy it in the next week or so....my suppressor should be here in 1-2 weeks, so next time i shoot it ill have a few new items on the m16

also got a h3 buffer coming....ill toss it in and see how it feels...maybe ill only use it when suppressed

Link Posted: 11/24/2016 6:49:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Just to be clear, I agree about the KNS pins. I don't own any and would not run any, as I always use Geissele triggers. I was referring to the KNS hammer cage, which is a trigger installation tool, that removes all spring tension from the hammer part of the FCG when installing, and reduces the chance of any scuffs happening to the lower.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

10-4. I haven't seen the hammer cage, but will check it out. It's a great idea. Can be used for both install and removal. Removing KNS pins is pretty puckering with those sharp edges.
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 9:53:33 PM EDT
[#48]
ordered the geissele ssf off ebay for $260 and the hammer box for $21 off CTD....auto sear - Colt from GB $22

should have some FA fun in a week

thanks everyone for your guidance

Link Posted: 12/2/2016 8:22:23 PM EDT
[#49]
put the geissele trigger in tonight.....the most difficult thing was the autosear...

i did not use the hammer cage....i found no use for it....tossed it in the garbage....there is no scratches or issues from it....all went out and back in with ease until getting the pin past the spring in the autosear...spent 20 minutes  of web video's

trigger is beautiful....thank you guys for recommending it....glad to have FA vs Burst.....wont take it to the range until i get my suppressor....ill decide if i get an adjustable gas block after i see how it shoots with it

Link Posted: 12/7/2016 3:05:30 PM EDT
[#50]
I think you'll enjoy the trigger, and yes, you'll want an adjustable gas block. May as well get on that train now. It's great to go from suppressed to not without issue.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top