Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Posted: 11/8/2016 3:50:42 AM EDT
Hello all, as I posted recently...  I just purchased an m16a1 just recently.  I have been doing some reading lately on configurations.  What I have been able to gather with limitations are, shooting in full auto with shorties vs suppressed shorties will require certain set up.  From what I have read, if I run a short upper suppressed in full auto.  I should have it set up a certain way with particular gas port sizes or gas blocks such as govnah or micromoa, certain buffers, should be used in order to reduce unnecessary wear on my rr.

Is that only for using a shorter upper suppressed???

What about shooting short uppers?  What do I need to do in order to make sure my lower is not placed in any harm by running the wrong set up...

What about shooting 14.5-16" uppers?  Any particular way they have to be set up?  What about suppressed in these lengths?  

What all do I need to get per upper depending on length, such as gas blocks, different gas port sized gas block, buffer weights etc...

I currently have a 20" armalite upper, colt 6920 factory upper, dd mk18 upper, aac 9" 300blk upper.  Which ones will I need to only run unsuppressed, ones I can run suppressed without modification, ones I can run once modifications are done?  I want to have fun, but my main priority is protecting my lower from any type of unnecessary or accelerated wear.

Please point me in the right direction if there is articles or threads I can read up on this.  I have tried to search as much as I can on the net on this, but have not been able to find a lot.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/8/2016 6:43:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Throw a Vltor A5 buffer system in it and blast away. I have run anything from a 8.5 inch blackout upper to a 20 inch 5.56 upper and everything in between. As for gas port size don't overthink things too much. The M16 will run fine the only downside would be you may get some gas to the face suppressed.
Link Posted: 11/8/2016 9:48:03 AM EDT
[#2]
M16s in general are typically very reliable, with the exception being some SBRs, but that's kind of a thing of the past and is nothing an adjustable gas block and playing with buffer weights cant fix. If you want more info on working with shorter barrels check out the SBR forum.

Personally I design my uppers to run suppressed or unsuppressed and tune my gas system accordingly. I don't take suppressors on and off, but it is possible, it will just speed up or slow down your rate of fire. I try to keep my ROF under 900 RPM, anything above that and I start to see malfunctions. if you want to switch back and forth between un/suppressed the govnah or micromoa will allow you to do so. I just use a SLR adjustable gas block to dial in my desired amount and leave it.

As far as protecting the lower, the only time ive heard of catastrophic damaged lowers is running bad ammo, such as a squib load (If you get a bang but the action doesn't cycle stop shooting and check to make sure the bore is clear) or someone loading pistol powder instead of rifle powder. Even then most of the kaboom is in the upper. Just run quality mil-spec ammo and only shoot reloads if they are your own and you know what youre doing. Additionally 9mm conversions are known to cause wear on the lower and some earlier models of the Shrike belt fed upper did as well, I don't use either setup so maybe someone with more knowledge can verify this.
Link Posted: 11/9/2016 12:21:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Throw a Vltor A5 buffer system in it and blast away. I have run anything from a 8.5 inch blackout upper to a 20 inch 5.56 upper and everything in between. As for gas port size don't overthink things too much. The M16 will run fine the only downside would be you may get some gas to the face suppressed.
View Quote

Thanks!  I am being a little ocd on this lol.  I dont want to cause any more wear than I need to on the hammer and trigger pins.  As much good things I hear about the A5 and as I want to try... I dont want to have to replace the buffer tube and end up breaking the factory staking on my gun.  That is one area I do want to preserve to keep it's value as much as possible.  

I do hear a lot of good things about that set up though for sure.  Maybe one day I might get myself to do that ha!
Link Posted: 11/9/2016 12:26:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
M16s in general are typically very reliable, with the exception being some SBRs, but that's kind of a thing of the past and is nothing an adjustable gas block and playing with buffer weights cant fix. If you want more info on working with shorter barrels check out the SBR forum.

Personally I design my uppers to run suppressed or unsuppressed and tune my gas system accordingly. I don't take suppressors on and off, but it is possible, it will just speed up or slow down your rate of fire. I try to keep my ROF under 900 RPM, anything above that and I start to see malfunctions. if you want to switch back and forth between un/suppressed the govnah or micromoa will allow you to do so. I just use a SLR adjustable gas block to dial in my desired amount and leave it.

As far as protecting the lower, the only time ive heard of catastrophic damaged lowers is running bad ammo, such as a squib load (If you get a bang but the action doesn't cycle stop shooting and check to make sure the bore is clear) or someone loading pistol powder instead of rifle powder. Even then most of the kaboom is in the upper. Just run quality mil-spec ammo and only shoot reloads if they are your own and you know what youre doing. Additionally 9mm conversions are known to cause wear on the lower and some earlier models of the Shrike belt fed upper did as well, I don't use either setup so maybe someone with more knowledge can verify this.
View Quote

I will be checking out the sbr section.  I am guilty of running suppressed on my sbr without really messing around with the gas blocks, different buffer weights, etc...

I dont plan to use any other calibers with the m16.  I only intend to use it with 223/556 and some 300 blackout.  

So it's probably a good idea to go ahead and pick up all the buffer weights, including the x buffer?  I was looking at the buffers SAW has, they are expensive!  I plan on getting the SSF fcg, some colt lpk parts, and different buffer weights.  What is different about the buffer weights that SAW carries vs others?  It is a significant difference in price...

On a good note, payment was received today for my down payment so paperwork from the sellers side has started
Link Posted: 11/9/2016 2:55:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Just get an adjustable gasblock, a H-H4 buffer and assorted buffer springs. Just having everything you could need lets you dial your setup in in one range trip.... no waiting for your 16 then waiting for a new part you need every few days and multiple trips to get it right.
Keep a note or color coat the spring buffer combo for different setups... i never did and i forget what the optimal setups are from time to time and have to refigure it out..once you do it and have all the parts the modularity of the M16/AR platform is just great and SO easy takes but a moment to run anykind of m16 you want.

Also note short 9mm upper have been difficult for me but since youll be using a supressor theres a wealth of info about veryious setups here. I know you said you plan on only using rifle calibers IMO .22 and 9mm are overrated other than ammo cost. If you reload, 9mm just isnt worth it.

IMO get some gas piston setups. Run cooler, cleaner, reliable.
You also need to buy a Shrike/MCR

Other than a few setups like the shrikr/mcr. Where you need to run a small shim or spacer.. your not going to damage you RR
Link Posted: 11/10/2016 8:18:25 PM EDT
[#6]
i did it the easy way...i called Bravo Company and ordered everything from them....they know what is needed to make their upper run

11.5" bcm upper
buffer tube
H2 buffer

you do need a specific buffer if your going to run a short barrel and a suppressor....the stronger buffer should help the gasses from coming back at you

ive got a Amp 10 for my Mac 10 where the back gas is so bad you have to stop or choke....tried to dump a 70 round drum and had to stop at 45-50 rounds because i could no longer see

id just call Bravo Co and they will set you up.

Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top