Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2016 2:02:49 PM EDT
What parts are needed to convert a full auto M16 to a Semi Automatic?  

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 1:33:15 PM EDT
[#1]
IT'S A TRAP!
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 1:34:36 PM EDT
[#2]
A new lower receiver without the full auto Sear
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 1:42:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
IT'S A TRAP!
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/12/2016 1:43:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Some LE agencies used to do this with their .mil loaner guns.  There were several options, one of which was an external block that prevent the selector from being rotated to full auto.  Other things you could do, replace the bolt with a semi auto or SP1 bolt, pull the auto sear, replace the trigger with a semi-auto trigger, change the selector out for a safety.  It's still legally a machine gun, it just won't function as one.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 1:43:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Un-file the firing pin.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 1:44:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Flip the switch to semi?
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 1:45:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Mechanically, just replacing the FA selector with a semi selector will achieve semi-only operation.

Most PDs converting DOD loaner M16s to semi for patrol use seem to prefer to swap out the entire full auto FCG and auto sear for a semi-only FCG set. In the case of DOD loaners, remember to retain the original FCG for reinstallation when the rifles have to be returned. Same thing goes for the original uppers or stock sets, if the PD wants to reconfigure them as carbines or use different uppers.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 1:51:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Some LE agencies used to do this with their .mil loaner guns.  There were several options, one of which was an external block that prevent the selector from being rotated to full auto.  Other things you could do, replace the bolt with a semi auto or SP1 bolt, pull the auto sear, replace the trigger with a semi-auto trigger, change the selector out for a safety.  It's still legally a machine gun, it just won't function as one.
View Quote

My buddy has one. Semi selector and neutered hammer.  

Link Posted: 10/12/2016 2:28:35 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Mechanically, just replacing the FA selector with a semi selector will achieve semi-only operation.

Most PDs converting DOD loaner M16s to semi for patrol use seem to prefer to swap out the entire full auto FCG and auto sear for a semi-only FCG set. In the case of DOD loaners, remember to retain the original FCG for reinstallation when the rifles have to be returned. Same thing goes for the original uppers or stock sets, if the PD wants to reconfigure them as carbines or use different uppers.
View Quote

Swapping out the FCG seems to be the most reasonable way to go about it.  Doesn't take much and is relatively easy to do.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 2:54:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Should just be able to swap out the selector and leave everything else in place. If you want to go one step more take out the sear, replace M16 BCG with a Ar15 BCG and replace the hammer/trigger.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 3:19:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Un-file the firing pin.
View Quote

That's funny.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 9:13:42 AM EDT
[#12]
A few years ago, a National Guard unit in Smyrna, TN auctioned off a couple dozen Colt M16A1s.  Many of these guns had a funny bit of sheet metal that was held in place by the pistol grip and prevented the selector from turning past the 12:00 position.

I believe one could merely swap out the M16 disconnector for a semi-auto disconnector, and regardless of the position of the selector, that semi-auto disconnector would catch the hammer until you released it.  In the full-auto position, the sear would still catch the hammer, but when tripped, it would let the hammer fall to the disconnector.

Link Posted: 10/13/2016 10:26:17 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/akethan/IMG_20160919_171824024_zpspbsbtfbi.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/akethan/IMG_20160919_171824024_zpspbsbtfbi.jpg

The selector may be neutered but that hammer isn't.

Link Posted: 10/13/2016 12:02:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Sell it for ten's of thousands and buy all the semi's you think you will ever need.

Converting a registered machine gun has got to be one of the dumbest things I have ever heard of!

1 post, newly registered, ya right!

Link Posted: 10/13/2016 2:52:30 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

A few years ago, a National Guard unit in Smyrna, TN auctioned off a couple dozen Colt M16A1s.  Many of these guns had a funny bit of sheet metal that was held in place by the pistol grip and prevented the selector from turning past the 12:00 position.

I believe one could merely swap out the M16 disconnector for a semi-auto disconnector, and regardless of the position of the selector, that semi-auto disconnector would catch the hammer until you released it.  In the full-auto position, the sear would still catch the hammer, but when tripped, it would let the hammer fall to the disconnector.
View Quote
Auctioned them off to who? I don't think the DoD allows individual units to auction their weapons.

Your mechanical theory is correct. I prefer to swap the selector for an AR-15 safety though. We do it at my agency by policy. Only SWAT gets select-fire. Our M16A1's came from the DoD through LESO for $100 each.

Link Posted: 10/13/2016 3:35:13 PM EDT
[#16]
NOOOOOOOO HE WASN"T READY!!!!
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 5:50:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Auctioned them off to who? I don't think the DoD allows individual units to auction their weapons.  

Your mechanical theory is correct. I prefer to swap the selector for an AR-15 safety though. We do it at my agency by policy. Only SWAT gets select-fire. Our M16A1's came from the DoD through LESO for $100 each.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Tennessee M16 auction was back in 2012 and there were 20ish guns available.    The were owned by the Tennessee Dept. of Corrections and were transferable if memory serves correctly.

I had my SOT bid on them up to about $15Kish at which point there wasn't enough money in profit to be made at the time as I would have had to pay him to drive up there and pick them up in person as that was a requirement of the auction.  They also had inventory numbers electro-penciled into them as well as those restrictor plate deals on the selectors.

If I remember correctly Ruben Mediola picked up at least half of them for about $18K and they showed up on his website a couple months later for low 20s.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 5:59:37 AM EDT
[#18]
OK thanks!

Now I remember seeing posts about that here. Everyone said it was crazy money at the time.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 9:27:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Thanks in advance
View Quote

Send me your M16 lower and I send you my AR15 lower, conversion done
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 9:39:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks in advance

Great solution, why didn't I think of it!

LOL

Link Posted: 10/26/2016 12:09:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Thanks in advance
View Quote

put in semi auto trigger hammer disconnect selector  it will run semi auto only - remove the sear if you want but will still run semi auto with it in

or just put in a semi auto carrier -- or just change the selector
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 2:40:23 AM EDT
[#22]
If he has to ask this question, i highly doubt hes the department armorer in charge of that stuff.
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 3:16:20 PM EDT
[#23]
The armorer is whomever the CLEO (or agency firearms authority) says it is. Often they may only have a Glock/Remington armorer's course certificate. There's nothing wrong with asking questions. Agencies who don't know any better will buy those 4-piece conversion kits for $45.99, when all they really needed was a safety.

Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top