Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2016 11:17:56 AM EDT
A while back I purchased a Sendra converted by Wilson Arms amazingly at below market value out of state.  When it got to me all 5 of my uppers would not pin on so I knew it was out of spec.  I thought that strange since I had always read the Sendra's were GTG just could have rougher forgings.  Anyway I stripped it of parts and sent it to M60Joe.  He did his magic including taking extra material off the top deck, opening the sear pocket, redoing the rear take down holes that were elongated, and fixing the crooked rear detent hole.  It came back 100% spec and functions perfectly.  At some point this receiver was painted.  The seller said it was Cerakote but it does not seem like it to me.  On the magwell it has a rough texture like parkerizing but it is some type of paint.  Ideally I would want it properly anodized so I contacted US Anodizing.  They were really nice and answered a lot of questions but don't want to deal with a receiver that may have been cerakoted and possibly had its anodizing removed at some point.   I don't really want another layer of cerakote making it even thicker and not sure if it can be removed without removing receiver material also.  Has anyone else been through this and know what my options might be?  It currently does not look bad I just don't like the finish on it.  I may just shoot it as is and deal with it later on but if I can make it better now and finish this project would prefer that.  It's hard to tell from the pics but thought I would include a few to the post.

Link Posted: 9/15/2016 11:25:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks good to me. I would go shoot it, a lot. My RR doesn't take great pictures but works perfectly. Best 600 bucks I ever spent. Bob
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 12:22:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I would shoot it, the finish is going to wear on it as you use it, either that or send it to a shop that can strip and redo, which I can tell you is going to be pretty expensive.  If it is paint, then it can be sand blasted and redone in the finish you want.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 12:22:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Im surprised US Anodizing wouldn't touch it, I was under the impression they could reanodize about anything. They did my RR after getting it into spec but it was never painted I guess.

Cerakote is actually very thin compared to most paint layers and probably as durable as anodizing.  Honestly it doesn't look bad, I would leave as is and maybe touch up a few spots. Mine has a few areas starting to show wear but personally I think it gives the rifle a little character. if it was a super rare Colt I might be considered but its a run of the mill non-colt conversion so who cares, they are and always will be owned by people who actually want to shoot their M16s

If it were me I would take advantage of the fact that the original finish is gone and have it cerakoted in OD Green to match the rest of my rifle.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 3:30:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Im surprised US Anodizing wouldn't touch it, I was under the impression they could reanodize about anything. They did my RR after getting it into spec but it was never painted I guess.

Cerakote is actually very thin compared to most paint layers and probably as durable as anodizing.  Honestly it doesn't look bad, I would leave as is and maybe touch up a few spots. Mine has a few areas starting to show wear but personally I think it gives the rifle a little character. if it was a super rare Colt I might be considered but its a run of the mill non-colt conversion so who cares, they are and always will be owned by people who actually want to shoot their M16s

If it were me I would take advantage of the fact that the original finish is gone and have it cerakoted in OD Green to match the rest of my rifle.
View Quote

cerakote is a pain to remove that's why they don't touch it and there may be flaws that its covering up.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 8:25:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Norrell's Moly Resin, anyone?  Degrease, heat, and shoot over the top of whatever's on it.  If it's a rough finish then the Moly Resin should grip that just fine.

Or have it cerakoted again.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 11:13:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Based on the dot style selector markings it has also probably been welded on too, if not welding, bondo.  A receiver that has been welded on will not look right after reanodizing, a spray and bake is your best bet.  The finish looks fine to me based on your photos.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 12:45:31 PM EDT
[#7]
My lower was redone in moly resin. Not much a fan of it, but us anodizing said they could refinish it. But they aren't taking individual jobs at this time.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 8:16:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Krylon
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 8:20:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks all, I think I will just leave as is and enjoy for now.  When the time comes I can have the Norrell Moly or have it re-cerakoted.  I have a Rifle Dynamics Arsenal AK being done and they exclusively use the Norrell Moly so can see what that finish is like when it is back.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 1:01:13 AM EDT
[#10]
the only Sendra I was able to handle at length was also out of spec and wouldn't take a Colt or LMT upper...  If I had realized the quality of these uppers had been greatly exaggerated over the years, I would have just bought that Olympic 5-6 years ago for $9500 and would now own an M16...

Finish looks fine to me, anodizing has the potential for more issues than its worth.  Unless you are trying to restore a botched Colt M16, I would go with other finish options.
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top