Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Posted: 7/30/2016 11:33:10 AM EDT
I'm going to be sending my Colt to M60 Joe for a pin conversion and once over / refinish.  I'm changing out the buffer tube and trigger group as well.  Are there any other things you'd recommend having done / changed while there?  Also, I guess I'm to send this registered mail insured.  Anyone have experience with this?  I can only imagine the looks on their faces when I show up there. Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 12:26:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I would replace all parts but keep the originals fore resale. When I mailed mine I had it stroller and put it in a box and sealed it at home. Just declare it as antique forearm parts Which is true, instead of saying MG
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 12:13:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would replace all parts but keep the originals fore resale. When I mailed mine I had it stroller and put it in a box and sealed it at home. Just declare it as antique forearm parts Which is true, instead of saying MG
View Quote

It's perfectly legal to ship an MG like the M16 by registered mail. I've never had a problem mailing it as a registered M16. I would not suggest sending it as antique firearm parts. A. It's not an antique. Antiques firearms had to,have been produce in the 1800's. Think 1899 is the cut off? You want to try and prove your 1983 produced M16 lower is an antique? Cause your claim would easily be denied. You lied on the insurance form. And B. It's a firearm. Not a part. Again, do you want to make an insurance claim that it was "parts"?  Claim denied.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 2:00:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Did you have any trouble insuring it with the USPS at the actual cost of replacement?  What was your average total cost to ship? Thanks to all who reply.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 2:08:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

It's perfectly legal to ship an MG like the M16 by registered mail. I've never had a problem mailing it as a registered M16. I would not suggest sending it as antique firearm parts. A. It's not an antique. Antiques firearms had to,have been produce in the 1800's. Think 1899 is the cut off? You want to try and prove your 1983 produced M16 lower is an antique? Cause your claim would easily be denied. You lied on the insurance form. And B. It's a firearm. Not a part. Again, do you want to make an insurance claim that it was "parts"?  Claim denied.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know it's legal and I've done it before but thanks for your input. Op was worried about how they would react and was basically just recommending not making a big deal out of it. not everyone in society is a pro gun arfcom member and not all USPS employees know it's legal to ship guns and saying you're shipping a machine gun my cause some works to freak out a little. Also, I'm pretty sure you just have to declare the parcel value for insurance purposes and confirm the contents is not liquid, fragile or perishable but some works will ask what's in it but it's none of their business. If the package is ever lost or stolen you would file and claim and have to prove what you shipped was actually worth the claimed value.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 2:10:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Did you have any trouble insuring it with the USPS at the actual cost of replacement?  What was your average total cost to ship? Thanks to all who reply.
View Quote

I believe it was $50 each way and that was for $15,000 of insurance. If you're firearm exceeds their max coverage you can buy supplemental insurance.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 2:16:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Earlier this year I had a barrel replacement done on a Thompson.  No problem (other than cost - $75 each way) sending the barreled receiver plus replacement barrel via USPS registered and insured at $25K.  I believe you can buy up to $50K of insurance.  They were picky about the packaging.  All of the seams on the box had to be sealed with brown package tape so they could stamp the integrity seal on them at every 6"-8".

Best of luck and enjoy!

MHO, YMMV, et cetera.
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 5:41:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Earlier this year M60 did the small pin conversion and refinish on my SP-1 registered receiver. Very happy with the work. Fully insured shipping via USPS was approx. $50 each way. I recommend installing a Geiselle SSF trigger and stocking up on KNS pins.
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 10:07:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Earlier this year M60 did the small pin conversion and refinish on my SP-1 registered receiver. Very happy with the work. Fully insured shipping via USPS was approx. $50 each way. I recommend installing a Geiselle SSF trigger and stocking up on KNS pins.
View Quote

Cost for shipping not as bad as I thought.  I've picked up a SSF as I've used a Geissele in other settings, the one I put in a Mk17 was night and day better.  I have a Colt M16 LPK that I was thinking of sending for him to change out everything as a previous poster suggested, did you go this route?  Also, I think I'd heard Bill doesn't recommend KNS pins in his triggers, may want to look into it.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 4:56:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Cost for shipping not as bad as I thought.  I've picked up a SSF as I've used a Geissele in other settings, the one I put in a Mk17 was night and day better.  I have a Colt M16 LPK that I was thinking of sending for him to change out everything as a previous poster suggested, did you go this route?  Also, I think I'd heard Bill doesn't recommend KNS pins in his triggers, may want to look into it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

KNS pivot pins. I always keep a couple in my range bag just in case.
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top