Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Posted: 7/25/2016 11:32:12 PM EDT
Before you flame off and start ranting, please read this e-mail to entirety.  If you don't know the answer - please refrain from comment.  I have shot the M-16 on active duty, and I understand the 3-round and full auto capability and accuracy - Please refrain from comment on this.  BTW, I don't care to have a FULL AUTO AR-15.  I understand the fines and prison terms if violated - Please refrain from comment.  I have read the laws, and I know they are illegal in the US per the NFA - Please refrain from comment on this.  I know Arkansas allows them up to 5 rounds in one trigger pull - Funny they don't agree - Again, please refrain from comment.  These are NOT my question.

My question is very simple and more of a gunsmith and machinist question.  Why won't a 3-Round Burst trigger system fit into an civilian AR-15?  Is the auto sear pin holes not there?  Is the lower significantly different.  I understand the safety blocks, but this could be easily machined.  What else is there?  I have read 4-5 posts on this, but no one answers this question that I have searched.  Everyone flames off, talks about the legality, has an opinion, tells you it won't work.  BUT...No one ever states WHY it won't work.

Just curious, and I wouldn't risk buying one of the 3-round burst kits.  I'm just curious of the reason why.

Rob
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:31:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, there is no hole for the sear to ride.  I don't understand the machining required, but I believe that there is not room for everything as well.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:43:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the response...That is what I got from googling the lower differences.  There is really not so significant milling on M-16 (wider in the rear and lower room for the burst sear), and it looks like an AR-15 could be modified for it with proper diagrams and dimensions.  The burst sear pin holes can be drilled, again, with proper diagrams and dimensions. Safety blocks can easily be removed.

Does anyone else know of any other issues?
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:47:31 PM EDT
[#3]
The auto sear is the same part in a full auto M-16 and a 3 shot burst M-16.  So a semi-auto AR-15 wouldn't have the space in the lower to put an auto sear nor would it have the auto sear pin holes.

The only difference between a full auto M-16 and a 3 shot burst M-16 is that the selector is different, the disconnector is different and there is an additional ratchet part.

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:55:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Refraining from commenting.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 8:47:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Refraining from commenting.
View Quote

I was going to post the same thing haha

But im in a good mood this morning, so here you go OP

1)AR15 lowers do not have the pin hole drilled above the safety necessary to install the sear. The 3 round burst trigger, just like the full auto trigger needs to use a sear.

2)Not all but MOST big name AR15 manufacturers produce their lowers with a “High Shelf” which basically means they leave material in the lower so you cant easily install a sear. This makes it difficult for the avg joe to “Accidently” convert his rifle to full auto. It would take professional tools and knowledge plus hours of drilling, milling and prepping the lower before it was ready to be converted. Even then the slightest miscalculation can make it not function or be potentially dangerous if the timing of the sear is off.  Im assuming this is something big gun companies due to cover their butts for legal reasons.

3)Also the 3 round and full auto triggers use different safeties and different trigger assemblies, but dimensionally they are the same.

If youre curious how they work mechanically, there are youtube videos that show how it functions. I doubt you would be stupid enough to come on here asking how to illegal convert a semi-auto to full auto but just incase, DON’T DO IT! Seriously.

If you want full auto save some cash and buy a transferable, they are expensive but boat loads of fun, way more fun than any boat ive ever been in! But theyre also the reason why I cant afford a boat, as feeding a MG is quite costly.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 11:50:09 AM EDT
[#6]
OP's question answered.
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top