Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Site Notices
Posted: 6/22/2016 10:37:28 AM EDT
Thinking about picking up a few more magazines before the election season really
kicks into high gear.

Although I'm not new to AR15/M16 magazines, wanted to post a survey in the M16 forum
to see what's worked best for everyone.  

Your input is appreciated!
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 11:44:37 AM EDT
[#1]
I've tried a bunch of different kinds, but my USGI mags--particularly my old USGI straight 20s get the most use by far.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 11:45:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 2:36:05 PM EDT
[#3]
The only magazines I use with my 16's are my USGI/D&H magazines, I own Lancers, Troys and Magpul's and I have always had problems with them using them on full auto.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 3:00:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

+1 on the 150 round drum!!
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 4:55:14 PM EDT
[#5]

Do you realize how much the son of a bitch weighs when it is loaded!  Bench rest beauties are the only ones that wants a mag that weighs that much!  Plus it takes about $50 dollars worth of ammo to load it!
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 6:43:27 PM EDT
[#6]

USGI Aluminum (e.g., LaBelle, D&H)
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 11:21:46 PM EDT
[#7]

So these don't have the issues that the Beta mags do? If they work as well as the USGI 30rd mags, the price is fair.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 8:46:41 AM EDT
[#8]
I use pmags and alum mags.

Both work fine
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 8:59:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Pmags are my go to mags and Aluminum GI mags are what I keep loaded for SHTF

Other mags I aquire get sold to friends who are just looking for extra plinking mags or i sell at markup when there is a gun panic.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 3:22:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Other mags I aquire get sold to friends who are just looking for extra plinking mags or i sell at markup when there is a gun panic.
View Quote

Thanks to all who have participated in this poll thus far.  I had a few more questions for "the hive" to
consider...

#1.  At present, USGI/Aluminum mags lead the poll, and their reported usage equals that of
all the other magazine types combined.

- Could one factor be that, given the weapon purchase cost, the average M16 owner is just going to be a bit
older than a typical AR-15 owner, and might be less open to Polymer mags, or just already
has a substantial supply of "classic" Aluminum mags?
- And/or:  the Aluminum mags are the "mil-spec," which is good enough? (especially for those with military service)
- Or, cost factors:  good USGI mags tend to be a hair cheaper than quality Polymer mags

#2.  Then, there's the old concern about the longevity/lasting quality of Polymer-- especially if purchases
are driven by anticipated "future need" (e.g., reinstatement of the '94 magazine ban or similar).
We *know* metal will last 25, 50, 100 years or longer... Polymer, we're not as sure of.
(*although, I do have Bakelite grips that are 50+ years old and seem to be fine)

Link Posted: 6/23/2016 3:44:14 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd think that before you draw too many conclusions or hypothesize on the outcome, you wait for more than 50 some odd people to complete the poll. Any solid poll around here ought to get at least a few hundred votes. Could be some other factor skewing it right now that will change after another few hours.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 3:46:09 PM EDT
[#12]
USGI for anything serious. Seems to have a proven track record. Why mess with anything else? Stock up on the Pmags and everything else cheap for that resale.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 3:49:39 PM EDT
[#13]
I use the metal mags, because that is what I used for the almost 30 years I was in the service and they are proven and have a track record with the FA platform, I have no reason to use anything else, my 16s run real good on those mags 10, 20 or 30 rounders.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 3:53:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Thanks to all who have participated in this poll thus far.  I had a few more questions for "the hive" to
consider...

#1.  At present, USGI/Aluminum mags lead the poll, and their reported usage equals that of

- Could one factor be that, given the weapon purchase cost, the average M16 owner is just going to be a bit
older than a typical AR-15 owner, and might be less open to Polymer mags, or just already
- And/or:  the Aluminum mags are the "mil-spec," which is good enough? (especially for those with military service)
- Or, cost factors:  good USGI mags tend to be a hair cheaper than quality Polymer mags

Most don't know enough about the mag options out there and find its easier just to go with mil-spec than do tons of research. Also, most rifles come with a GI mag, so they just keep buying what the rifle came with. And then yes cost, does make a difference for the avg person.

#2.  Then, there's the old concern about the longevity/lasting quality of Polymer-- especially if purchases
are driven by anticipated "future need" (e.g., reinstatement of the '94 magazine ban or similar).
We *know* metal will last 25, 50, 100 years or longer... Polymer, we're not as sure of.
(*although, I do have Bakelite grips that are 50+ years old and seem to be fine)

technically polymer will have a shorter life span than metal but if stored properly mags of all types can out last the human race.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

consider...

Most don't know enough about the mag options out there and find its easier just to go with mil-spec than do tons of research. Also, most rifles come with a GI mag, so they just keep buying what the rifle came with. And then yes cost, does make a difference for the avg person.

technically polymer will have a shorter life span than metal but if stored properly mags of all types can out last the human race.

Link Posted: 6/24/2016 9:54:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
- Could one factor be that, given the weapon purchase cost, the average M16 owner is just going to be a bit older than a typical AR-15 owner, and might be less open to Polymer mags, or just already has a substantial supply of "classic" Aluminum mags? I'm in my 30s, and I do own and use polymer mags, but I find the USGI mags cause less frequent mag-related stoppages. Some of the first mags I bought were polymer bodied. I've tried various generations of various brands, but I trust USGI mags more due to experiencing less issues with them over the years.

- And/or:  the Aluminum mags are the "mil-spec," which is good enough? (especially for those with military service) The USGI mags are being constantly refined and tweaked in well-funded R&D. The same can't be said about many aftermarket mags, really. I say this as a civilian.

- Or, cost factors:  good USGI mags tend to be a hair cheaper than quality Polymer mags $6 or $7 vs. $10 or $12 isn't really an issue, for me the cost doesn't factor in at all.

#2.  Then, there's the old concern about the longevity/lasting quality of Polymer-- especially if purchases are driven by anticipated "future need" (e.g., reinstatement of the '94 magazine ban or similar). This doesn't factor into my decision at all. Modern, glass-reinforced polymer will be around longer than I will.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/24/2016 12:58:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Plastic is softer than aluminum. I use PMAGS in my M16
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 9:36:59 AM EDT
[#17]
I have been shooting AR's for 39 years and an M16 for 33. I have many original usgi mags that I still use regularly and have never had a problem with. That said I also use pmags. No problems with them but not the track record either.
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 10:15:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 10:32:32 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Do you realize how much the son of a bitch weighs when it is loaded!  Bench rest beauties are the only ones that wants a mag that weighs that much!  Plus it takes about $50 dollars worth of ammo to load it!

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Four hundred for that, might as well just carry another AR.
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 11:47:38 PM EDT
[#20]
I like to have about 60 percent gen 2 Pmags and the rest USGI.

I've been thinking about getting some lancers though.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 12:11:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Okay, NHTMG, and Colt USGI mags with Magpul followers or Magpul p-mags.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 12:51:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Old fashioned aluminum GI mags. They're cheap.

Went shooting this weekend. One guy had a Colt M16A1 lower and Pmags wouldn't fit in the mag well.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 2:10:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Thanks for all who participated in this poll.

FWIW, I've personally used USGI, MagPul, and Lancers all without any
trouble (admittedly, my volume of shooting is pretty paltry by the standards
on this forum).

Going forward... I'll probably just use PMags/Lancers for my day-to-day... they're to
me a bit more comfortable to handle, and as was said, probably scratch a RR
slightly less (and I've personally had no problems with PMags fitting in my Colt magwell).

For putting a few back (I.e., the "Hillary contingency"), I'm thinking one won't do much better
than the Mil-Spec OKAY / Surefeed mags.  They're widely available and cheap enough.

Can anyone say why the "Mil Spec" Aluminum mag finish is so-called "Dry-Lube," and not
the PTFE Teflon?   From the ones I've handled, looks like the Teflon will wear better.

Link Posted: 7/14/2016 9:54:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Went shooting this weekend. One guy had a Colt M16A1 lower and Pmags wouldn't fit in the mag well.
View Quote

Reweld? I've never had mag fit issues in an a1.

I like the look of USGI mags. They make me feel safe.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 12:57:55 PM EDT
[#25]
It would be easier to list the mfg to avoid
Dont know about ar mag but pistol promag stuff have always been hit or miss..

As for the AR, usgi pmags emags mft and lancers have always worked fine for me..
Still have to try the tangodown troy and the hexmags.

Not trying to hijack the hread but anybody ever tried the bulgarian polymer 40 rounders?
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 1:19:34 PM EDT
[#26]
As for the AR, usgi pmags emags mft and lancers have always worked fine for me..
View Quote

Yeah, IMO the AR-15 / M16 community is quite fortunate to have a number of mag choices
that work quite well and seem to be pretty thoroughly vetted at this point.

When the last ban was looming (back in the early 90's), there were USGI mags and... that
was about it, as far as readily available / reliable mags went.   Thermolds (Ther-melts?) were
around, but had a spotty reputation as best.  Pro-Mag back then, was about the same as
Pro-mag nowadays.  Seems like there might have been some sort of "Israeli surplus" mags around also,
but they were kind of beat up (the ones I saw, anyway).

Now, trying to decide if I need (m)any 20-rd AR mags...

Link Posted: 7/14/2016 3:42:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
[ Seems like there might have been some sort of "Israeli surplus" mags around also,
but they were kind of beat up (the ones I saw, anyway).

View Quote

The Israeli surplus mags were Orlite.

They worked well but had fitment issues in some receivers as the rear rib was wider than a USGI mag.  I think I still have half a dozen of those orlite mags somewhere.

My personal mag preference are the H&K Steel "maritime" mags.  They are spendy but are all metal (including the follower) and run like a top and drop free without issue unlike some of the more modern polymer magazines.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 10:09:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Pmag 40s
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 12:40:11 AM EDT
[#29]
I have never had an issue with the PMag gen1 and gen 2. Never used gen 3.  The only issues I've had with usgi mags is drop and feed issues when they are used hard beyond their intended lifecycle. Having seen this, I would feel better having a longer lasting lifecycle magazine, knowing that the loonies are planning to ban any magazine over ten rounds and they're doing fairly well at convincing Americans that high capacity magazines are evil and the root of all violent gun crime.  And to make matters worse too many gun owners and enthusiasts are not getting off the couch to do something about it.  The NRA is leading the charge, but I think it's time to get off the couch and demand that the states and courts stop enforcing unconstitutional laws. For now I'll have to just make sure I have plenty of redundancy mags.  

Link Posted: 10/26/2016 10:59:17 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any decent AR15 (Colt/FNH) is going to cost $800-$1,000, not $400. And, a second AR15 is going to add another 30rds (not 150). Or one could simply get a Beta C mag for half that price and have 100rds. But, the Beta C mag is a lot more delicate of a drum than the Armatac. I had a beta C mag and accidentally dropped it and the plastic cover cracked (the whole Beta C mag drum is made of a cheap plastic). I have an Armatac drum and it is made of a tougher synthetic material that will take a lot more abuse than the Beta C mag will. I believe that is one of the reasons it costs more. You get what you pay for, quality wise.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 11:02:21 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's very strange. I have an M16A1 and never had any trouble with Pmags either. The only brand magazines that I refuse to use in my M16A1 (or any of my firearms) is Promag. They suck, royally!
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 11:05:32 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
It would be easier to list the mfg to avoid
Dont know about ar mag but pistol promag stuff have always been hit or miss..

Not trying to hijack the hread but anybody ever tried the bulgarian polymer 40 rounders?
View Quote

If you are referring to the clear plastic 40rd Bulgarian magazines, then yes, I have. I dropped one and it actually cracked. I wasn't impressed. I wasn't expecting them to be made of Lexan Polycarbonate, but, I also didn't expect them to crack if dropped (it was on concrete floor, but, at 3 feet I wouldn't expect any magazine to crack).
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top