Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Posted: 3/11/2016 9:20:44 PM EDT
I'm trying to learn more about steel DIAS, and it seems like there are quite a few different manufactures who made them.
What's the most popular & desirable steel DIAS out there? John Norrell, JCB, Smith Enterprise, Wilson, SWD?

Anyone know anything about John Norrell Steel Drop In Auto Sear?
How many steel DIAS out there?

Reference from:
http://www.hk94.com/hk/topic/4405-drop-in-auto-sears-dias-ar-15-faq/
Link Posted: 3/11/2016 10:26:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I'll get you started - you're looking at around $30k (might come with a host gun or not), and they don't come up for sale very often these days.

As a result of scarcity, you may not have a choice when shopping for a particular maker or brand - and have to just take what's on offer.  FWIW, any steel body DIAS is probably fine, and the trips/pins/springs can be replaced if they're not to your immediate liking.
Link Posted: 3/11/2016 10:55:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm a long time fan and learned a lot from you, Circuits.
The reason I started this thread was... *Drum Roll Please* ...I just spent freaking $32K for John Norrell Steel Drop In Auto Sear.

You guys told me not to sell my 2 RLL, so I had to gather some extra cash and brought one instead of.
Eventually, I need to sell my semi-auto collection to make up the money that I just spent.
Still not sure why I even spent that much cash on a single purchase.
Really kicking my head for not buying that steel DIAS at about 2 yrs ago for $26K... oh well, the "I wish I brought it" story goes on.

Anyway, I used to be HK full-auto guy and just not familiar with DIAS.
I searched the web but couldn't find much info on John Norrell Steel Drop In Auto Sear or other steel DIAS in general and I thought I should ask the board.
At least I would like to know how many John Norrell Steel DIAS out there and about its quality compare to other steel DIAS.
Also, interested to learn about the total# of steel DIAS out there today.

Many thanks in advance.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'll get you started - you're looking at around $30k (might come with a host gun or not), and they don't come up for sale very often these days.

As a result of scarcity, you may not have a choice when shopping for a particular maker or brand - and have to just take what's on offer.  FWIW, any steel body DIAS is probably fine, and the trips/pins/springs can be replaced if they're not to your immediate liking.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/12/2016 12:54:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The reason I started this thread was... *Drum Roll Please* ...I just spent freaking $32K for John Norrell Steel Drop In Auto Sear.
View Quote

Well, thanks.  And for what it's worth, I have a lot of respect for John Norrell's works - his creations and conversions.  I don't know if a Norrell DIAS is the absolute best out there to be had, but it's certainly up near the top in my estimation.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 3:08:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Dear God!  $32K on a RDIAS!?  They aren't worth that yet are they?  I've seen two for sale for $25k and $28k on sturm recently.  Just curious.  

Either way, it's not like you paid too much if they aren't $32k yet.  You just paid early ;)  When I paid $16k for my 1st one in 2012 off sturm everyone said I was an idiot.........

I have no idea to the answer of your questions though sorry.  All I can say is enjoy the sear!  they are a blast and one of the best M16s to own!  2 Lightning links too?  You the man!!!!

Quoted:

You guys told me not to sell my 2 RLL, so I had to gather some extra cash and brought one instead of.
Eventually, I need to sell my semi-auto collection to make up the money that I just spent.
Really kicking my head for not buying that steel DIAS at about 2 yrs ago for $26K... oh well, the "I wish I brought it" story goes on.

I searched the web but couldn't find much info on John Norrell Steel Drop In Auto Sear or other steel DIAS in general and I thought I should ask the board.
At least I would like to know how many John Norrell Steel DIAS out there and about its quality compare to other steel DIAS.

Many thanks in advance.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Many thanks in advance.

Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/12/2016 8:23:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, I deserved to get stoned for spending $32K on a tiny piece of metal.
I've seen Aluminum DIAS for for $25K range recently and Steel DIAS for $30K.
I thought if I wanted to spend that much cash, why not add a little more and get the steel DIAS.
Too many scammers out there lately, especially on Sturm and I just brought it from a dealer who I purchased before.
My friend also thinks I'm a "mad man"... we will see who's crazier by this Christmas.

Dear God!  $32K on a RDIAS!?  They aren't worth that yet are they?  I've seen two for sale for $25k and $28k on sturm recently.  Just curious.  

Either way, it's not like you paid too much if they aren't $32k yet.  You just paid early ;)  When I paid $16k for my 1st one in 2012 off sturm everyone said I was an idiot.........

I have no idea to the answer of your questions though sorry.  All I can say is enjoy the sear!  they are a blast and one of the best M16s to own!  2 Lightning links too?  You the man!!!!

View Quote
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 8:26:24 AM EDT
[#6]
OP, nothing wrong with spending a few more $$ for peace of mind.

Any photos?
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 8:43:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Ballistics in Wallingford CT made quite a few. All Steel
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 8:48:08 AM EDT
[#8]
I will post some close up pic as soon as I get it.

Quoted:
OP, nothing wrong with spending a few more $$ for peace of mind.

Any photos?
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/12/2016 10:02:03 AM EDT
[#9]
The Norrell name will probably command a premium for many years to come.  You could always ask him how many he made.

My bud paid a premium for a Colt A1 from Norrell over a decade ago - because of the man's reputation, I suppose it was worth it to pay a little extra even though Norrell wasn't the mfr.

FWIW, my steel RDIAS is from 'C-Ray Systems' or Charles Ray.  It works great.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 10:05:37 AM EDT
[#10]
That's good to know.
I found a intersting read about John Norrell... looks like he was a genius.

http://www.smallarmsreview.com/display.article.cfm?idarticles=3168

Quoted:
The Norrell name will probably command a premium for many years to come.  You could always ask him how many he made.

My bud paid a premium for a Colt A1 from Norrell over a decade ago - because of the man's reputation, I suppose it was worth it to pay a little extra even though Norrell wasn't the mfr.

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/12/2016 11:22:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
That's good to know.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
That's good to know.

Quoted:

Fantastic article.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 2:01:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Excellent!  A couple thousand extra from a local dealer makes sense which gives you peace of mind. That's exactly why I spent more on mine back in 2012.  Post pics when you can and enjoy it!!

Quoted:
I thought if I wanted to spend that much cash, why not add a little more and get the steel DIAS.
Too many scammers out there lately, especially on Sturm and I just brought it from a dealer who I purchased before.
My friend also thinks I'm a "mad man"... we will see who's crazier by this Christmas.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/12/2016 2:02:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Ballistics in Wallingford CT made quite a few. All Steel
View Quote

Good stuff too. That's what my second one is.  Fist one is a home made form 1 sear that luckily the guy must have been a pro bc it is equally perfect.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 4:56:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 5:19:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Put a want to buy ad in armslist or shotgun news

Wait and see what happens
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 1:02:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
That's good to know.
I found a intersting read about John Norrell... looks like he was is a genius.

View Quote

Fixed it for you, since he's still alive.  

-bob
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 1:32:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for the link.

Very good article.

It becomes clear why there are so many more HK sears than RDIAS.
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 12:19:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Always seems like their are never any RDIAS publicly available.  So it seems like its a seller's market?  What price is too high for one?  $35k?  $40K?  From a dealer of course.

Conversed with M60Joe yesterday and I'm leery of a regular M16 as  their blow ups can end up being paper weights more often then not.
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 9:03:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
'm leery of a regular M16 as  their blow ups can end up being paper weights more often then not.
View Quote

Cast it in gold afterwards, then it will be a shiny and really expensive paperweight!
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 9:06:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:What price is too high for one?  $35k?  $40K?  
View Quote

Maybe when they hit 50k, I'd consider letting it go.

That'd make a 1000% return on my "investment".  Suck it DOW JONES!
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 11:14:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Conversed with M60Joe yesterday and I'm leery of a regular M16 as  their blow ups can end up being paper weights more often then not.
View Quote

There's always the stainless steel Group Industries M16s if you're afraid of blowing up an aluminum receiver.  But then you're carrying around something like another pound in weight.
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 11:41:09 PM EDT
[#22]
It's sad to see our hobby required so much fund to acquire something that we want.
I never brought MG as a investment, but it's obviously outperforming my lousy 401K....

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/17/2016 12:27:09 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

It's sad to see our hobby required so much fund to acquire something that we want.

I never brought MG as a investment, but it's obviously outperforming my lousy 401K....
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Imagine if the Hughes amendment had not been added to FOPA, the cost of a MG would be exactly the same as the cost of an SBR nowadays.

I had a dealer tell me that sometime right after Hughes had passed, he was offended that he had to pay $400 for a RDIAS. His complaint was that the tax stamp was half the cost of the RDIAS.
Link Posted: 3/17/2016 12:29:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Imagine if the Hughes amendment had not been added to FOPA, the cost of a MG would be exactly the same as the cost of an SBR nowadays.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

The investment potential is nice.  Buy something.  Rag it out for 10 years.  Sell it, and make money.  I try to always look at the positive side of things even if I don't like it.
Link Posted: 3/17/2016 12:30:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
There's always the stainless steel Group Industries M16s if you're afraid of blowing up an aluminum receiver.  But then you're carrying around something like another pound in weight.
View Quote

I let a few people handle mine while I filled out the form 4s. It was a "complete lower" when it transferred. They couldn't tell the difference. I had to tell them the receiver was made of steel. The extra mass is much closer to you than the equivalent mass hanging off the front of the barrel in suppressor form. Love not needing to worry about holes egging or an OOB blowing it apart. Plug and play with any upper and all kinds of sketchy ammo
Link Posted: 3/17/2016 12:30:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep yep agreed.  I'm not sure at what price I'd start letting my machine guns go.  I don't plan or want to, but everything has a price.  If things start getting into the price of a house per gun....yea I might start letting a couple go ;)
Link Posted: 3/17/2016 5:03:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have never seen an AR lower so damaged it could not be fixed. Even if it was cut into 3 pieces, folks cans weld it back together.

Why folks think nothing of buying a $50K F250 that will be junk in a few years, but are afraid to buy a MG for 1/2 price that will double in the years to come, amazes me.

No different than a custom exhaust on the same truck for $500, but are afraid to buy a $500 silencer that does not come part to clean it.
Link Posted: 3/17/2016 9:34:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/17/2016 10:55:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I have never seen an AR lower so damaged it could not be fixed. Even if it was cut into 3 pieces, folks cans weld it back together.

Why folks think nothing of buying a $50K F250 that will be junk in a few years, but are afraid to buy a MG for 1/2 price that will double in the years to come, amazes me.

No different than a custom exhaust on the same truck for $500, but are afraid to buy a $500 silencer that does not come part to clean it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Off your high horse yet?  Not sure if you are directing your comments at me but you sure as hell quoted me.

I have never bought a vehicle for $50k yet, nor the exhaust to match it, thanks for the advice though.  Also i don't believe I have ever asked about cleaning any of my suppressors yet.  Never even asked if they came apart for cleaning.

M60joe seems like "the" go to guy for repairs and etc.  Refer me to another guy for lower repair work if you would please.  He said the other day he declined to work on an M16 lower receiver that was damaged pretty bad.  Call it my due diligence as these are not just investments that sit on a shelf for me but something I would like to enjoy without worrying about the resulting paperweight it may become.
Link Posted: 3/17/2016 11:00:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Spot on.
Link Posted: 3/17/2016 11:05:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
M60joe seems like "the" go to guy for repairs and etc.  Refer me to another guy for lower repair work if you would please.  He said the other day he declined to work on an M16 lower receiver that was damaged pretty bad.  Call it my due diligence as these are not just investments that sit on a shelf for me but something I would like to enjoy without worrying about the resulting paperweight it may become.
View Quote

I am very curious to hear about the cause of the damage, the extent of the damage which prompted him to decline, and what type of receiver (i.e. cast, forged, billet...). Can you share any such details?
Link Posted: 3/17/2016 11:09:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Dupe
Link Posted: 3/17/2016 11:12:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I have been dealing with transferable MGs for damned near a half-century now, and I have never, ever seen a transferable M16 that was damaged beyond repair.

I have, however, seen three RDIAS that were lost -- one forever, one recovered within a week, one recovered two years later. They are so small and so easy to lose.

And yes, like RenegadeX, I am amazed by the folks who spend insane money on cars, trucks, boats, you-name-it, that depreciate by the minute ... yet are unwilling to spend a fraction of that amount on an item that historically has appreciated at a rate way higher than most 401k's.

I will just walk away now, shaking my head....

Your Mileage May Vary. Sigh.
View Quote

Care to share how they got lost?
Link Posted: 3/17/2016 11:25:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I am very curious to hear about the cause of the damage, the extent of the damage which prompted him to decline, and what type of receiver (i.e. cast, forged, billet...). Can you share any such details?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I asked him a simple question, "have you seen a lower receiver damaged beyond repair?"

He responds back that he just declined work on one that had a "kaboom", mag well and top of the receiver had a big bulge outward.

I left it at that.

Supposedly "online people" say that as long as the serial number still on the receiver a talented metal worker could make it work.  Who would be this talented metal worker?
Link Posted: 3/17/2016 11:39:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Off your high horse yet?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Off your high horse yet?

ARFCOM never disappoints. No matter how much you try to help someone, they will invariably find a way to be insulted.

Quoted:
Not sure if you are directing your comments at me but you sure as hell quoted me

No, paragraph 2 & 3 were not directed at you, hence the use of the word "folks" and not "you". But don't let that stop you from assuming it was and taking it personal. Regular posters will know I make those comments every few months, last time I think it was a $60K Raptor, this time I downsized.
Link Posted: 3/17/2016 11:46:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Supposedly "online people" say that as long as the serial number still on the receiver a talented metal worker could make it work.  Who would be this talented metal worker?
View Quote

Echoing Tony-

Link Posted: 3/18/2016 12:24:40 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Echoing Tony-

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Echoing Tony-

I see, so thats how you get 30k posts.  Condescend, check.  Quote with no real info, check.  Anything else?
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 4:08:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 4:14:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 7:27:21 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

I just spent freaking $32K for John Norrell Steel Drop In Auto Sear.

View Quote

Thank you for sharing this info!  As a fellow owner of a Norrell Steel sear I've been trying to find out the selling price.  (The for-sale boards usually remove the price when an item sells.)

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 6:17:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Lost forever: The owner went shooting and at the end of the session, took out the RDIAS and put it in his pocket because he planned to stop for lunch at a restaurant, and didn't want to leave it in his truck with the host AR. When he got home he reached in the pocket ... and only found a hole. Retraced his steps, but no joy.

Lost for a week: Owner went shooting and somehow didn't notice that it had fallen off the lug when he was packing up. He went back to the range, did the crawling-around-on-hands-and-knees bit, but no joy. About a week later, someone found it and turned it in to the RO, who called him.

Lost for two years: Owner went to get it out of the safe ... and it wasn't there. He took everything else out of the safe, but no joy. (IIRC, he filed an insurance claim.) Two years later, he decided to use a different shelf configuration in that safe, and when he removed one shelf, the RDIAS fell out. It had become wedged behind the rear edge of a shelf which was exactly thick enough to hide it from both top and bottom views.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have been dealing with transferable MGs for damned near a half-century now, and I have never, ever seen a transferable M16 that was damaged beyond repair.

I have, however, seen three RDIAS that were lost -- one forever, one recovered within a week, one recovered two years later. They are so small and so easy to lose.
(snip)

Lost forever: The owner went shooting and at the end of the session, took out the RDIAS and put it in his pocket because he planned to stop for lunch at a restaurant, and didn't want to leave it in his truck with the host AR. When he got home he reached in the pocket ... and only found a hole. Retraced his steps, but no joy.

Lost for a week: Owner went shooting and somehow didn't notice that it had fallen off the lug when he was packing up. He went back to the range, did the crawling-around-on-hands-and-knees bit, but no joy. About a week later, someone found it and turned it in to the RO, who called him.

Lost for two years: Owner went to get it out of the safe ... and it wasn't there. He took everything else out of the safe, but no joy. (IIRC, he filed an insurance claim.) Two years later, he decided to use a different shelf configuration in that safe, and when he removed one shelf, the RDIAS fell out. It had become wedged behind the rear edge of a shelf which was exactly thick enough to hide it from both top and bottom views.

Specifically can you elaborate on the insurance?   When we talked you mentioned who you would use, however getting insurance is easy.    It's getting payment that insurance companies should be judged on.   I've asked it here before, didn't seem like anyone actually had to file a claim.  
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:57:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:24:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Well, I can't remember if that individual even mentioned which insurance company he used.

The one I use does have pretty strict rules on when a loss is or is not covered. I keep that in mind.

But firearms losses are really pretty rare, unlike car or home insurance claims. That actually works to our advantage -- it makes the premiums lower if the claims are less common.

I look at it this way: If an insurance company in any field was either a scam or a PITA for those filing claims, we would hear about it. Just think of how negative reviews work the internet -- you read one and, of course, you know that is the one in 100, one-in-a thousand, who had a negative experience. Thanks to the internet, every bad experience, no matter how rare, is out there for everyone to see.

So an insurance company which is popular and used by many gun owners, yet does not have a single negative post anywhere on the internet despite being in biz for decades ... well, that, in itself, is a positive sign. Don't you think?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

(snip)

Specifically can you elaborate on the insurance?   When we talked you mentioned who you would use, however getting insurance is easy.    It's getting payment that insurance companies should be judged on.   I've asked it here before, didn't seem like anyone actually had to file a claim.  

Well, I can't remember if that individual even mentioned which insurance company he used.

The one I use does have pretty strict rules on when a loss is or is not covered. I keep that in mind.

But firearms losses are really pretty rare, unlike car or home insurance claims. That actually works to our advantage -- it makes the premiums lower if the claims are less common.

I look at it this way: If an insurance company in any field was either a scam or a PITA for those filing claims, we would hear about it. Just think of how negative reviews work the internet -- you read one and, of course, you know that is the one in 100, one-in-a thousand, who had a negative experience. Thanks to the internet, every bad experience, no matter how rare, is out there for everyone to see.

So an insurance company which is popular and used by many gun owners, yet does not have a single negative post anywhere on the internet despite being in biz for decades ... well, that, in itself, is a positive sign. Don't you think?

Do you have collectibles or historic?
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:22:21 AM EDT
[#44]
I have a firearms rider on my home policy, when I requested it from my company, they sent out an adjuster and we noted every single scratch, dent and ding in each of my guns, I have to update them if new damage occurs to any of my guns.  It is really not much money, but the requirements to maintain the rider can be a pain in the ass sometimes.  I figure it is just part of the cost of owning machine guns.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:57:18 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:40:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I have collectibles. Historic wouldn't insure me because I'm too close to the ocean (less than 2 miles) but hey, I'm a lifelong beach bum.
View Quote

Gottca. Do you have experience with anyone having to file a claim with either company? I've heard them both being suggested, but I don't know if anyone has ever had to file a claim and how it worked out.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 11:28:14 AM EDT
[#47]

View Quote

I understand what you are saying.  A lack of negative reviews isn't really an endorsement.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 3:46:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:25:39 PM EDT
[#49]
As I said earlier,

I have a rider on my home policy, my home owners insurance is very reasonable, my rider is very expensive.  My rider costs me 5 times as much as the home policy does, but I am insuring over 100K of guns on the rider, my regular guns I don't worry about, my machine guns, I may not be able to replace even for what I have them insured for, if something happened to them.  Part of my policy requirements was the security system I had to install, so the insurance company knows how difficult it would be to try and steal my guns.  I own 6 original machine guns.

Machine guns are very expensive to own in so many different ways.
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top