Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Posted: 3/6/2016 3:50:49 PM EDT
Can you run RLL on CMMG MK47 Mutant that uses AK47 mag?
It seems like it uses same AR fire control group, etc.
Couldn't find any info on the net so I thought I should ask here...

Link Posted: 3/6/2016 6:39:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Bolt carrier will play into this as well.
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 6:58:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, with the proper bolt carrier and FCG and internal receiver dimensions.
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 9:27:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Skip to 6:30  
The video shows the internal of MK47.

Link Posted: 3/6/2016 11:50:40 PM EDT
[#4]
No where near close-up enough to tell for sure,but:

Looks to be high shelf, so it'll have to be milled out.  Pocket behind the FCG well looks too narrow, will need to be milled out.  Likely it'll need clearance cuts at the back of the FCG well and maybe at the back of the takedown pin post pocket, too.

Nothing that hasn't been done dozens of times before to other maker's receivers to fit an LL, but it doesn't look to me like it'll be capable of a drop-in installation.

Budget $100-$150 for receiver milling, and either find/buy an RLL compatible bolt carrier, or budget a bit more to have your existing carrier cut back to RLL dimensions, and it should work.
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 8:26:15 AM EDT
[#5]
From what I have heard, the Mutant is a high shelf and also has several proprietary parts, including the BCG. I'm sure it could still be milled to work, but there are better options:

1. MM-47 upper/lower set from Michael's Machines  - build it how you want it; while the ar-47.com web site is now shut down, he probably still sells these if you call Mike directly.

2. Rhino Arms MM-47 - nicer looking gun than the Mutant, low shelf, and no proprietary BCG; Rhino licensed the lower/upper design from Mike Otte and is probably why the ar-47.com site is now down to steer sales to Rhino.

3. MGI Hydra w/AK Magwell - build it mostly how you want it because you will be stuck using a clearanced DPMS lo-pro upper to allow mags to seat (or buy a proprietary MGI upper); plus you can swap magwells for Colt 9mm and maybe others in the future if they bring them back (like the Glock and GG); if you want a full gun pre-built then you can also buy this same setup now from Windham Weaponry as the RMCS. I assume the Windham has been the one making them for MGI all along.
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 10:03:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 10:06:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 10:31:17 AM EDT
[#8]
I've had good luck with my AR47 upper on my m16. While it isn't quite what it seems you're looking for - a receiver that takes AK mags, I've had great success with the C Products newest mags in mine so far.
Link Posted: 3/11/2016 10:41:13 AM EDT
[#9]
I use the MGI with my link. It works fine but the mag compatibility can be hit or miss. The bakelites are too big, and a lot of steel mags are too loose.
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 3:03:54 PM EDT
[#10]
This thread now has a new offering as well - Palmetto State Armory KS47
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 9:57:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Very interesting!

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This thread now has a new offering as well - Palmetto State Armory KS47
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/13/2016 11:47:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Mk47's bolt carrier and FCG arrangement is the same as CMMG's Mk3 rifles or a LR308/SR25.

Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top