Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Site Notices
Posted: 1/15/2016 11:47:53 PM EDT
I have a RR and my buffer tube / receiver extension isn't perfectly true.  Rare binding with a DI upper, occasional misfire that I attributed to user error or bad ammo.  

Started using a PWS upper, the long piston design and when the weapon is charged, it just sticks.  Makes sense if the receiver extension isn't perfectly true.  

In your experience or wisdom, what is the safest way to fix the issue?
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 12:59:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have a RR and my buffer tube / receiver extension isn't perfectly true.  Rare binding with a DI upper, occasional misfire that I attributed to user error or bad ammo.  

Started using a PWS upper, the long piston design and when the weapon is charged, it just sticks.  Makes sense if the receiver extension isn't perfectly true.  

View Quote

Send it to m60Joe, then have victor at us anodizing refinish it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 11:56:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

Also US anodizing can do some gun smithing in house which can save time and money
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 2:49:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

+1

Also US anodizing can do some gun smithing in house which can save time and money
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

Ok.  Would you send the upper and lower or just lower.   Of course I'll ask him.  

I know a local guy that I trust.   He doesn't have the name like m60joe or Victor but he's competent and won't paint himself in a corner.  He goes slow to not make a mistake that can't be recovered.  However he needs some tips on how to do this.   I emphasize that I am NOT doing this myself.  

I just didn't want to ship this.  You know what I mean.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 2:50:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 3:01:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Are you sure it is the lower that's bent, crooked or miss threaded and not the receiver extension?
View Quote

Definitely not a misthread.   To the naked eye it looks perfect.   All three of my PWS bind so I'm convinced it's the lower (those same uppers are flawless in other lowers).  It could be the tube, I doubt it.  It's a VLTOR A5 tube.
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 7:39:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Ok.  Would you send the upper and lower or just lower.   Of course I'll ask him.  

I know a local guy that I trust.   He doesn't have the name like m60joe or Victor but he's competent and won't paint himself in a corner.  He goes slow to not make a mistake that can't be recovered.  However he needs some tips on how to do this.   I emphasize that I am NOT doing this myself.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

I would ship the stripped lower. A good gunsmith with have mil spec buffer tubes or other parts needed to test to see what is in spec or not.
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 8:23:27 AM EDT
[#7]
The first thing to try is unscrew the current extension and try a different one, which you can do at home.  If the problem goes away, good.  If it doesn't, send it to Joe.  Your local guy may be a whiz at working on stuff, but if he doesn't know what he's doing in this specific case, he's the wrong guy to be working on a registered lower.

From my perspective over the internets (my crystal ball is out for a tune-up) I'm not convinced the problem is with the receiver extension.  Try removing the bolt, hammer, buffer and spring, then running the bare bolt carrier back and forth in the  assembled receiver.  Is there any binding?  Are there rub marks on the back half of the bolt carrier?
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 9:30:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Do not have a local guy do it. You want the best person possible with experience correcting these issues. Send it to M60Joe and/or US Anodizing. I agree re: trying a new receiver extension before you send it off.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 11:27:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Do not have a local guy do it. You want the best person possible with experience correcting these issues. Send it to M60Joe and/or US Anodizing. I agree re: trying a new receiver extension before you send it off.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed i would not have a local guy do the work. Most people dont understand they are working with a lower that is per ounce worth 2x as much as gold or platinum.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 1:50:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Agreed i would not have a local guy do the work. Most people dont understand they are working with a lower that is per ounce worth 2x as much as gold or platinum.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok.  Will do.  Haven't heard back from Victor, I'm sure it's the long weekend and long busy hours.  

How should I ship this?   Service wise.  
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 4:17:48 PM EDT
[#11]
USPS Registered Mail is what i used to ship my lower to US Anodizing

It can be insured for up too $25,000 and gets logged in and logged out everywhere it goes and is stored in a locked container.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 4:46:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

It can be insured for up too $25,000 and gets logged in and logged out everywhere it goes and is stored in a locked container.
View Quote

Will do.   Any special procedures along with that, above the usual firearm restrictions.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 9:13:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Will do.   Any special procedures along with that, above the usual firearm restrictions.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I boxed it up before going to the post office and when they asked what the contents was I just said "rare collectible firearm parts" rather than saying it was a machine gun. Other than that there isn't anything special to do.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 1:24:54 AM EDT
[#14]
I recommend you insure your M16 and the remainder of your collection through Collectibles Insurance or Historic. I insure using Historic. Jack Richardson ar Eastern Insurance is the agent for Historic. The rates are reasonable and they cover loss and damage in transit and also if (heaven forbid) the item is damaged during repair. I would personally never ship a MG without having this private insurance.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 11:36:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I recommend you insure your M16 and the remainder of your collection through Collectibles Insurance or Historic. I insure using Historic. Jack Richardson ar Eastern Insurance is the agent for Historic. The rates are reasonable and they cover loss and damage in transit and also if (heaven forbid) the item is damaged during repair. I would personally never ship a MG without having this private insurance.
View Quote

I use the same insurance as well, i believe the smallest policy is $125 a year and covers up to $35,000

https://www.easterninsurance.com/insurance-quotes/personal-insurance/historic-firearms-insurance
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 10:13:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

First off, I completely agree with you.  I have neglected to insure my NFA guns purely out of laziness and lack of knowledge.

I asked this question in the recommended insurance thread awhile ago.  

The insurance is this and that and whatever price.  Have you, or do you know anyone that has required to use it?  What was their experience?  Insurance can claim whatever, when its the time to need it is how it should be rated.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 10:13:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Dreaded double post.  Apologies.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 7:29:44 AM EDT
[#18]
FWIW, I just had an AR come across my bench with exactly this problem.  The rear end of the bolt carrier would jam about 2" into the receiver extension.  I took it apart and tried a different receiver extension plate, which completely cleared the problem up.  Sometimes an easy fix is available before you have to ship your registered precious across the country.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 5:16:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
FWIW, I just had an AR come across my bench with exactly this problem.  The rear end of the bolt carrier would jam about 2" into the receiver extension.  I took it apart and tried a different receiver extension plate, which completely cleared the problem up.  Sometimes an easy fix is available before you have to ship your registered precious across the country.
View Quote

Honestly.  I think this is exactly the issue.  I've tried a different plate and castle nut and its "better."  I think its in my head.  However, the plate and castle nut are from the same batch.  I'm going to pick up real colt stuff tomorrow.

I don't know if the Colt will make a difference, as that its Colt, but at least it will not be from this batch of stuff that I had.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 7:18:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Use some calipers and measure the plate, if the front and back aren't parallel you could probably eyeball it. A castle nut that wasn't threaded concentric could probably do the same thing but would change the angle depending on where it ended up.
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top