Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Very nice!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mine arrived several weeks ago (see post above) and I finally had some time to get it out this past weekend!

Linked up 1,000 rounds (in 10x 100 round belts) with the help of my stepson this past week and brought the FM-9 for its inaugural shoot. We put 500 rounds through it. Only had three stoppages, but could not figure out why: no jam or anything it simply stopped. Just re-load the belt and shoot away! Very consistent and no drama whatsoever other  than that. I'm extremely happy with the FM-9 and will get a lot of use out of it, though I have to say that it does create for itself an odd niche of firearms. It's a belt-fed rifle shooting pistol caliber ammunition. You sort of need to re-think your targets. We were shooting hanging bowling pins, pumpkins, AR500 rifle plates, etc.... it's a great blaster!

It definitely draws interest. Expect to get questions from fellow shooters.

I think I'm going to shoot it in my next subgun match.

In the future I'd like to see a different feed chute with a 45-degree (or less) angle be made available in the future to be able to shoot from a 30-cal ammo can. I might make that a design and print experiment for my new 3D printer I got for xmas.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll75/Mr_Maim/Forum%20Stuff/FreedomOrdBF/20151226_FM9_01_zpsv1ri81sw.jpg~original

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll75/Mr_Maim/Forum%20Stuff/FreedomOrdBF/20151226_FM9_02_zps7inp68kp.jpg~original

Very nice!

What's up dude!

You should get one. I know how you love beltfeds.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 1:52:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I need to stop clicking on this thread, (Grabs wallet)

Center fire has uppers and accs now.

Looks like uppers are $1900 so grab 1K of links and $2,000  with shipping

What was the first units running?

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/search.aspx?find=FM-9+9mm+Belt+Fed+AR-15%2fM-16+Upper+Receiver&utm_source=Centerfire+Systems&utm_campaign=086bb5d545-FM9_9mm_Belt_Fed_AR15&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_a17d16ad3c-086bb5d545-129209301
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 4:21:21 PM EDT
[#3]
So do they offer a linker or do you have to hand link each one?
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 7:10:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Are there any pics of complete guns with the 6 inch barrel?  I see pics of the barrel by itself but not assembled on the gun.

Never mind.  I just found pics at the Centerfire Systems link.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 12:00:47 AM EDT
[#5]
A 6" barrel conversion kit and FF tube is also available for $400. Not a bad price.
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 5:50:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 6:53:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So do they offer a linker or do you have to hand link each one?
View Quote

Hand link right now but there are linkers coming from several third parties.

This is the one that I have coming (prototype video):  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Tm-vHHwzMY
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 6:57:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Thompson Machine has a 6 inch if you are at SHOT.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 7:01:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thompson Machine has a 6 inch if you are at SHOT.
View Quote

Indeed. The one prototyped in my link above is the linker of which you speak. I have one on its way... very excited.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 12:48:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
A 6" barrel conversion kit and FF tube is also available for $400. Not a bad price.
View Quote

Must have!!!  
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 12:46:23 AM EDT
[#11]
My linker is in and it is AWESOME. So much better than doing it by hand. I did a case of belts this evening.

You can purchase the linker here:

http://www.triggerjockey.com/

The builder of the linkers name is Shepard. His business name for firearms accessories is Trigger Jockey.

The linker is awesome I would highly recommend it!
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 1:10:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Took my FM-9 out again for a quick range session. 100 rd belt in 3-5 rd bursts. Damn thing runs so smooth.

If you have an M16.. This is a must have..
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 11:31:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Has anyone tried running 147 grain subs through the 6" model?
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 12:26:28 AM EDT
[#14]
They've released a new version (optics ready) for $1299.

It lacks the quick change barrel system and has no rails on the handguard.

A simple tap and die should allow the mounting of a rail on the bottom of the gas block or handguard.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 10:37:08 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm getting mine broken in.  I think the links cause some issues when new, but the second time around are perfect.  Waiting on a 3x optic to come in from Primary Arms, but still fun hip shooting this thing.  SD3G trigger runs fast but no full happy for me.

https://youtu.be/TiwWdvuiX0w
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 7:20:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Heard a rumor that a 5.56 upper is in the works.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 10:29:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Now I'm listening.  But... how many companies have stated this and failed miserably?  I've been really impressed with their quality so far.  If they can make an actual functional belt fed 223 upper I will definitely buy it.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 2:40:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

I thought Ares patented the 5.56 AR beltfed upper and that others would infringe on their patent if no lower receiver mods were necessary. I recall reading this many years ago on subguns.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 10:26:57 AM EDT
[#19]
I asked about this on another forum and it turns out that the ARES patent does not apply because the new 9mm upper requires an insert in the magazine well to function.  The ARES patent covers uppers that require no mods to the lower.  
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 12:02:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Belt fed was done by Ceiner before ARES:

http://www.smallarmsreview.com/display.article.cfm?idarticles=1087
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 5:11:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Requires mods to the lower.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 2:41:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct, as does the SABRE 5.56 upper for a SWD M11/9. A definite deterrent to some buyers, no doubt.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 4:28:44 PM EDT
[#23]
If you have an M16.. This is a must have.
View Quote

Everyone that has one, still happy?

I'm interested as a potential belt-fed option, vs. Shrike (for instance) mainly because...

- It's less expensive than the Shrike
- Ammo (9mm) is less expensive than the Shrike (5.56 mm)
- Will generate less heat than the Shrike
- Can be used on more commercial ranges (pistol) than the Shrike
- Easier to suppress than the Shrike

Yeah, it's not a rifle round but for me it's just a range toy anyway...
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 4:46:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 5:17:58 AM EDT
[#25]
What I would like is link/brass catcher designed for the FM-9. Forgot my tarp last trip and lost quite a few links in grass.

Other than that.. Mines been great! I may even spring for the 6" conversion.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 5:40:15 AM EDT
[#26]
I use the tactical brass recover catcher on mine. While a 9mm specific verson would be great do to reduced bulkyness.... there a bit pricey so a 9mm specific model would only get used on the FM9 ... or any 9mm setup i guess. Id rather have the full sized one...ive got 3 of the TBR catchers. I might be grabbing a 4rth soon.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 12:01:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Same thing here, I just use a cheap brass catcher for the links/brass. $10 or so from CDNN and it works well enough to recover most of the links.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 2:50:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Any preference here for barrel length?

Mainly trying to decide between 6" and 11", leaning towards
the shorter option (to shoot suppressed).

Anyone put a 3-lug adapter on one yet?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 6:15:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 8:26:21 PM EDT
[#30]
See video post on page 3 of this thread. I have the 11" and did some testing with a 3 lugged, Octane, Mystic and MK9K.
View Quote

Thanks for your response & previous video.  Looks like a 3-lug adapter is good to go.

- are you satisfied with your 11" upper?  Do you think the 6" would be better?

Thanks again,

SD

Link Posted: 7/24/2016 1:31:23 AM EDT
[#31]
So break it down on page 6 - worth it?  Links robust and handle reloading well?  Does it seem like a good value for money?
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 8:23:39 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
So break it down on page 6 - worth it?  Links robust and handle reloading well?  Does it seem like a good value for money?
View Quote

Do I think it's worth it? Hell yes! It's fun, low recoil, and anything that spits out brass and links gets cool points from me.

Links... I've loaded mine up 6 times or so and haven't had any issues yet. Had plans to run the hell out of it this
            summer but a deployment dropped so next summer it is! (I only have 1500 links so thanks for reminding me to order more!)

Value... A+ in my book. I'm sure you've looked them up and which options are available and lengths of barrels. Fit and finish are amazing and it runs great.
            Customer service from what I've heard has been nothing but positive. I've only seen 1 complaint and it was fixed quickly.

The FM9 will leave you with a on your face!
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 8:28:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 12:00:19 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I'm interested as a potential belt-fed option, vs. Shrike (for instance) mainly because...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
If you have an M16.. This is a must have.

Happy as a puppy with two peters.  I did kink a buffer spring running Hornady critical duty +P's through it, but it was a cheap spring that came with the arm brace kit.  No issues with a decent moly spring in it.  Seems like it really prefers nickel plated brass.  I can't recall a single FTF using nickel, it even eats the last round.  Can't say the same for any of the steel case I've tried, maybe one jam or two per belt with Wolf.  I wonder how the aluminum case blazer would do?  Anyone tried +P+ yet?  

Link Posted: 10/1/2016 3:23:25 AM EDT
[#35]
I've been running Winchester 100rd value pack ammo with no issues. 115 gr FMJ
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:59:00 AM EDT
[#36]
How are the reviews on this thing after all of the time it has been out?  I'm considering getting one.  Looks fun.  Thanks for the help guys!
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 6:00:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
How are the reviews on this thing after all of the time it has been out?  I'm considering getting one.  Looks fun.  Thanks for the help guys!
View Quote

I cannot believe you do not have one. It is must have if you have a F/A.

If you want to see mine in action LMK.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 7:29:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Mine has been rock solid as well.

Only real complaint is that it doesn't reliably feed the last round in the belt.   I have just started to just use a snap cap on the last round of the belt similar to what I do with the M60 (albeit for different reasons).

Other items I wish it had were

A.  The ability to close the top cover with the bolt forward
B.  I wasn't a huge fan of the plastic feed chute deal on the side as it slightly wonky to load as you have to pushfeed the belt up through the chute vs. just dropping it into the feed tray with the topcover open.

I ended up chopping my feed chute so it could be loaded like a normal beltfed with a flip up feed cover..  (i.e. M60, shrike, 249, etc.)

C. I also would prefer if the topcover had a section of rail milled onto the top like an E4 top cover.   The rail space available on the FM9 is either way forward on the rail section over the barrel or way back o the rear which doesn't really offer enough space or proper eye relief for an optic.

I plan to drill and top the center of the top cover to mount a micro red dot, but have been running it with iron sites for the past year.

However functionality-wise it pretty much just runs with the exception of the last round in the belt issue.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 12:04:06 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've been busy with other purchases trust me ;)  I'm pretty much done, but this upper does interest me.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 12:05:10 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Mine has been rock solid as well.

Only real complaint is that it doesn't reliably feed the last round in the belt.   I have just started to just use a snap cap on the last round of the belt similar to what I do with the M60 (albeit for different reasons).

Other items I wish it had were

A.  The ability to close the top cover with the bolt forward
B.  I wasn't a huge fan of the plastic feed chute deal on the side as it slightly wonky to load as you have to pushfeed the belt up through the chute vs. just dropping it into the feed tray with the topcover open.

I ended up chopping my feed chute so it could be loaded like a normal beltfed with a flip up feed cover..  (i.e. M60, shrike, 249, etc.)

C. I also would prefer if the topcover had a section of rail milled onto the top like an E4 top cover.   The rail space available on the FM9 is either way forward on the rail section over the barrel or way back o the rear which doesn't really offer enough space or proper eye relief for an optic.

I plan to drill and top the center of the top cover to mount a micro red dot, but have been running it with iron sites for the past year.

However functionality-wise it pretty much just runs with the exception of the last round in the belt issue.
View Quote

Thank you
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 11:00:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:  C. I also would prefer if the topcover had a section of rail milled onto the top like an E4 top cover.   The rail space available on the FM9 is either way forward on the rail section over the barrel or way back o the rear which doesn't really offer enough space or proper eye relief for an optic.

View Quote

A micro red dot has infinite eye relief.  You could mount it in front of the muzzle on a rail if you wanted to.  Eye relief only concerns us when we mount magnified optics.

And I'm envious.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 6:58:58 AM EDT
[#42]
What the hell is inside the top cover to make that big old camel hump necessary anyway?
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 11:40:03 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

A micro red dot has infinite eye relief.  You could mount it in front of the muzzle on a rail if you wanted to.  Eye relief only concerns us when we mount magnified optics.

And I'm envious.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  C. I also would prefer if the topcover had a section of rail milled onto the top like an E4 top cover.   The rail space available on the FM9 is either way forward on the rail section over the barrel or way back o the rear which doesn't really offer enough space or proper eye relief for an optic.

And I'm envious.  

Technically yes, you can mount a mirco-red dot on the rear section of rail on an FM9, but then half your field of view is going to be top cover hump.

The other option is to put it on a riser of some sort at which point if you want any semblance of a decent cheek weld you will need another eye on the top of your head.

While I am sure the dot may be visible as it is non-magnified, this setup is far from ideal in my personal opinion.  Moving the red dot forward onto the top cover negates the need for a riser and allows a better cheekweld.  I also don't like having a red dot mashed up right next to my face even if it does technically work.  Nobody mounts an aimpoint or micro red dot on the rearmost section of rail right over the charging handle.  The sweet spot is usually somewhere over the magwell area to the front of the trigger area.

Drilling and tapping the top cover for a direct mount (like you would a glock slide) will put the red dot farther forward and lower as there is no rail or rail interface to artificially put the red dot FOV higher than necessary.

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 12:27:32 PM EDT
[#44]
I mounted my Aimpoint on the front rail over the bbl.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 1:45:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I mounted my Aimpoint on the front rail over the bbl.
View Quote

Optics mounting position-wise that seems to be the most popular option based on the pics folks have posted online.

Forced to choose between the two mounting options you have now, the rail over the barrel would be my preference as well.   Although I did try an eotech xps2 on the rear rail section for  one range session and then promptly removed it and have been running irons ever since.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 3:18:06 PM EDT
[#46]
I have an Aimpoint PRO on mine in a LaRue M68 tall mount, behind the topcover. I didn't like the way the forward mounting position put the optic in the path of the topcover when opened.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 5:30:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Has anyone noticed any excessive wear around the axis pin holes with these, like other 9mm uppers could potentially cause?  I've been thinking about picking one of these up, but I'd like to hear from someone who has put a few thousand rounds through one before I jump in.
Thanks!
BB
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 10:13:58 PM EDT
[#48]
3000 rounds no issues.  Picking up links is the only thing I don't like.
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 11:40:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
3000 rounds no issues.  Picking up links is the only thing I don't like.
View Quote

Cool, thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 9:49:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 4
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top