Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 9/1/2015 1:43:02 PM EDT
Hopefully this will actually be available and affordable...

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:47:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Take my money.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 3:45:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Beltfed 9mm?  That's cool.  Gonna be expensive!
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 3:59:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Beltfed 9mm?  That's cool.  Gonna be expensive!
View Quote

Cheaper to feed than a Shrike though.  Hopefully they price it nice.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:09:16 PM EDT
[#4]
on their FB page, they replied to my message about price point.  $2495.00 MSRP, but the first 100 or 200 might be $1895
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:11:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Wish I had something full auto to put that pig on
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:14:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
on their FB page, they replied to my message about price point.  $2495.00 MSRP, but the first 100 or 200 might be $1895
View Quote

Thats not to bad, i might jump in at $1895.

Just wish the shrike wasn't $5,000, freaking ridiculous.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:34:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd consider that.  I got burned on the reclassification of BRP's XMG-99.  Now it sits on a dedicated AR lower instead of an M-16. I have a lifetime supply of surplus 8mm to go with it.  It goes a lot slower on semi.

A 9mm upper would be really affordable to shoot.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:36:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

If it actually works, that's not a bad price. Certainly not any more money than a new 9mm HK host  and having a belt gun that fairly inexpensive to shoot would be awesome.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 5:04:25 PM EDT
[#9]
 That would be a great companion to my Razorback 22lr belt fed upper...And just as cheap to shoot!  
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:21:18 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm ready to preorder, I'm ready for a 10 year wait.
It's a lot less work to reload 9mm than .223.

I wish b the website gave some real info.
I'd  guess it uses m27 links.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:50:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm ready to preorder, I'm ready for a 10 year wait.
It's a lot less work to reload 9mm than .223.

I wish b the website gave some real info.
I'd  guess it uses m27 links.
View Quote

It uses custom links that are $60 per 1000.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:51:08 PM EDT
[#12]
IIRC they said the links are special modified links.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:14:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Is there even such a thing as a mil spec link for 9mm?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:17:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
 That would be a great companion to my Razorback 22lr belt fed upper...And just as cheap to shoot!  
View Quote

I hope it's nothing like my razorback.... i'm probably $2500 into that thing and the largest burst i've gotten out of it is probably 5 rounds.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 5:33:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I hope it's nothing like my razorback.... i'm probably $2500 into that thing and the largest burst i've gotten out of it is probably 5 rounds.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sold mine the next day I bought it. Not impressed.

I tried fitting a 9mm into a M27 link, boy that's a tough one. I saw where the company will have their own links for the 9 as well.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:42:43 AM EDT
[#16]
I do not know.

Sure it NEW, but it does not do much for me.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:01:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

I just tried to put a 9mm cartrage in a stretched shrike link.
Diameter seems ok, but the link with tail is the entire length of a 9mm oal with projecttile.

Does anyone have a link to more info than the YouTube channel? I must not be looking at the right website?
http://freedomordnance.com  ??
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:57:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:01:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Diameter seems ok, but the link with tail is the entire length of a 9mm oal with projecttile.

It looks to me while I can own the upper in my state, i'd have to leave the state to link the ammo.
Fortunately it's only a stone throw to the border.

Does anyone have a link to more info than the YouTube channel? I must not be looking at the right website?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It looks to me while I can own the upper in my state, i'd have to leave the state to link the ammo.
Fortunately it's only a stone throw to the border.

Very little info out there, facebook has soom
https://www.facebook.com/OfficialFreedomOrdnance
https://instagram.com/freedom_ordnance/
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:02:06 PM EDT
[#20]
They said they are still building the website on subguns. They also have a Facebook page, but I'm not a facebooker so I can't offer any other info.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:01:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks for all the info guys. I couldn't find anything because I don't do the MySpace Facebook insta.... ect.
I love subguns.com, I got my sear and tons of info from there.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:00:45 PM EDT
[#22]
TGTBT
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:46:42 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I'd consider that. I got burned on the reclassification of BRP's XMG-99. Now it sits on a dedicated AR lower instead of an M-16. I have a lifetime supply of surplus 8mm to go with it. It goes a lot slower on semi.

A 9mm upper would be really affordable to shoot.

View Quote

I'm sure you could get your money back if you put it up for sale.  Seems it would be a good canidate for a reactive trigger or custom bump stock.

I'm hoping to rework an RPD next year for 750rpm semi auto shooting
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:59:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:16:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Ordered. Hopefully it will be available some time in the near future
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:23:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Just got an email saying they should be shipping in 4 weeks...
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 12:13:21 AM EDT
[#27]
So I went and registered at the website, then clicked preorder expecting a menu with accessories and checkout.

I guess you can preorder for free?i'll have to review the email when I get it...but that just seems strange to me.

Anyway 4 week delivery would be amazing, I won't hold my breath.

I wonder what the final price point will really be and would normally would wait to see the reviews from you guys but I guess i'm in.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 12:47:44 AM EDT
[#28]
The email I received after I pre ordered and asked about an ETA said I should recieve an invoice in 2-4 weeks and they wouldn't bill until it was ready to ship. I normally wait until there are some reviews, but I like the idea of an affordable belt fed upper and saving some $$ off the list price would be nice.

I just want a couple K links and a 11" barrel. I don't need a 16" barrel, so maybe I can work something out when my number comes up.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 11:12:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The email I received after I pre ordered and asked about an ETA said I should recieve an invoice in 2-4 weeks and they wouldn't bill until it was ready to ship. I normally wait until there are some reviews, but I like the idea of an affordable belt fed upper and saving some $$ off the list price would be nice.

I just want a couple K links and a 11" barrel. I don't need a 16" barrel, so maybe I can work something out when my number comes up.
View Quote

These are my exact  throughts, especially the barrel and links.I still haven't received the email.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 1:29:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Got my email, it  mentioned...

"Also if you want to mention it on there, we have a limited number of 11" barrels so we
will do our best at allowing those that just want that barrel instead of
the 16" to switch them out but at this point I won't guarantee it before
we have more blanks in hand, but those that have signed up so far should
not have an issue."
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 2:31:33 PM EDT
[#31]
I asked to substitute a short barrel in place of the 16".  Hope to hear back soon.
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 11:52:52 AM EDT
[#32]
I threw my hat in the ring.

My email came back saying 6-8 weeks.

On Instagram they have a pic(showing the upper in a box with all accessories with the lid off) from 4 days ago titled : "freedom_ordnance - First unit test fired and boxed up ready to sell."

Hopefully that means the first units will be shipping this week or next.

Link Posted: 9/9/2015 3:25:31 PM EDT
[#33]
more vids and photos in GD link
tempting

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1784488_NEW_Belt_Fed_9mm_AR15_Upper.html
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 3:11:10 PM EDT
[#34]
God that looks so sick.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 9:14:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Anybody got a chance to shoot one yet??
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:41:04 PM EDT
[#36]
I've got 200 rounds through mine with a RDIAS. Function was great it it has a bit of trigger slap on auto. Either way I'm happy with it.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:50:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Is anything different on this that would make it more or less "hard" on a registered receiver?
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 1:25:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 6:13:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
What spring and buffer were you using?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've got 200 rounds through mine with a RDIAS. Function was great it it has a bit of trigger slap on auto. Either way I'm happy with it.

I also would like to know..also did you use the bolt weight built into the bcg.
I caved and bought 800rs of 9mm, haven't bought anmo in probibly 3+ years
I'm Going to try mine at a pumpkin shoot next month.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 6:43:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 7:00:19 PM EDT
[#41]
This is a northeastshooters.com event in NH
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 8:17:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was using a rifle buffer and spring. I might try a carbine spring and a 9mm buffer in a different lower next time I take it out.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 11:33:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Why 9mm buffer over h(h1,h2)? Or any carbine lenght buffer?
Doesn't it need the travel to move the bcg,actuating the slotted arm for the feed mechanism?
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 6:03:10 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:51:54 AM EDT
[#45]
what good is a belt fed without a cooling system?

you put 350 rounds through the $25,000 gun, it'll probably be hot enough to blister your skin
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 11:18:54 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
what good is a belt fed without a cooling system?

you put 350 rounds through the $25,000 gun, it'll probably be hot enough to blister your skin
View Quote

The barrel is quick change so it really no different in that regard than any modern air cooled machinegun (M60, MG42, HK23, etc.)

Dump a 100rd belt, pop the barrel out, put in a spare cool barrel, and run another belt.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 12:24:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Is anything different on this that would make it more or less "hard" on a registered receiver?
View Quote

This is what I need to know. I have heard 9mm stories on RR's for years both good and bad. What about this design? Any worries? Thanks. Bob
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 1:23:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

This is what I need to know. I have heard 9mm stories on RR's for years both good and bad. What about this design? Any worries? Thanks. Bob
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't have mine  yet but assume that any system that leverages a blow back type operation is going to have some of the same issues that the Colt 9MM system has.

Granted the FM9 appears to have a ramped hammer engagement profile so not as much stress is put on the hammer pins as a traditional unmodified Colt 9MM system.  You figure the rearward stroke is also operating the belt so some of that rearward energy is going into the feed arm to pull the belt to the right.   However,  folks here are mentioning trigger slap which to me is a classic symptom of higher than normal rearward bolt velocity as the spur on the hammer is hitting the disconnector/trigger assembly with enough force to feel it through the trigger and into your finger.

The other issue with the Colt 9MM system is the bolt is "shorter" than a 5.56 bolt as the bolt and carrier are one piece. This means that when the bolt is fully bottomed out inside the carrier extension the distance between the LRBHO and the face of the bolt is greater by ~1/2".  Whenever the LRBHO is engaged the bolt on the Colt System gets a running start before being caught.  I have noticed on my 9MM host (sear host lower) that the LRBHO pocket has some damage from the bolt ramming into the LRBHO over the years.  You also end up with more frequent LRBHO levers breaking (although I have never broken one personally)

This can be mitigated on the Colt system by putting a 1/2 buffer in the back of the receiver extension so that this slack is taken up.  On the FM-9 it shouldn't be an issue as I believe the LRBHO lever is never actuated during the firing sequence.  The FM9 bolt also looks to be longer than a Colt 9MM bolt as well and more along the lines of a 5.56 BCG in terms of overall length.

Personally I would at a minimum run the Colt Stainless 9MM FCG pins as insurance as the real damage comes to a RR when the hammer or trigger pins break during full auto and the gun keeps running on snapped pins egging out the holes.   If  you have a host experiencing trigger slap you probably need to address that issue with a heavier buffer or stronger recoil spring to slow the reward bolt travel.

I was told my number should come up in the next 30 days or so once they get 11" barrels back in stock and can provide more information once it arrives and I get a chance to play with it in person.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 1:32:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Excellent info. Thank you.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 6:05:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Anyone get theirs on video yet? Would like to see more in action! Mine should be here tom, BUT my 16 is still in jail. (Luckily my dealer is a good friend and can go shoot it anytime).
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top