Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Posted: 8/30/2015 1:19:36 AM EDT
My dad and I have been talking about adding an auto of some kind to our collection.  He's found an RDIAS at a pretty good price and is willing to finance the buy.  He's pretty determined that he wants to use a RRA SBR as a host.   This gun has a high shelf, of course.    I'm trying to talk him into SBRing a new lower, but I don't think that'll happen.

Is there a shop out there that can mill down the shelf in his lower?

Thanks in advance

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:41:51 AM EDT
[#1]
M60Joe.com

nothing further....
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:48:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Thank You
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:10:18 AM EDT
[#3]
+1 for M60joe

Also BCM, Spikes and others producer top quality uppers that will accept RDIAS and RLL
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:43:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:43:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:07:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, OP, I would just buy another (factory low shelf) lower to use with a DIAS. That way you could have a SBR and a separate MG at any given time. Not that there's anything wrong with milling the high shelf down so it can "be both" whenever you want.
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 12:57:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 7:52:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Sad to say but way back when I just grabbed the handy ole Dremel and milled it down myself for my RLL.  That lower is still going strong (though it looks a little worn!).

Now I would just drop the lower in my 80% jig and take it down with the router - take about three passes and would be done and look very clean.

If you have the jig that is the way to go.

FH
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 12:34:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Common guys...  guy has $20,000 for  a rdias and is worried about a $100 lower as a host.... Why would you cut up a registered SBR to host a rdias?   The milling alone will cost far more than a new lower.  Let alone shipping, insurance....   I could understand if this lower were something special. I guess...

Then the comment on "sbring" another lower...  dont you learn on day one of NFA school an MG can host any barrel?  

OP, have the old man buy the rdias and put it in any of the numerous low shelf receivers easily and cheaply available.  This lower can now host ANY upper you or he has.  Even the short upper from the RRA if he loves it that much.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 6:04:41 PM EDT
[#10]
The purpose of using an SBR as a host is for convenience.  It allows the lower to still retain a short barrel when the RDIAS is not installed. I know several people who prefer to SBR their hosts for this reason.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 11:30:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Now I would just drop the lower in my 80% jig and take it down with the router - take about three passes and would be done and look very clean.

If you have the jig that is the way to go.
View Quote

This what I would do too.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 11:51:22 PM EDT
[#12]
I wouldnt register anything I didnt have to, its an extra $200 plus engraving you could spend on anything else.
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top