Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Posted: 8/21/2015 9:09:52 AM EDT
Just bought a Colt DOE upper and bolt and want to run it on a M16.
I really like the look of shorty M16s

Obviously I don't want to drill into the lower so as to lower its value so a drop in 9mm block is called for.
Which one works well without marring the lower ? If I have to give up bolt hold open on last shot thats fine.
Also don't know if the DOE bolt is ramped or not. I may buy a CMMG (?) bolt anyhow. Is this the best one ?
Any other non-permanent mods to be performed ?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 9:29:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Check out the Hahn Precision mag blocks.  They are super nice, bolt hold open is not a problem, does not mar the receiver.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 9:30:12 AM EDT
[#2]
http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/bolt-parts/caliber-conversion-kits/ar-15-dedicated-9mm-conversion-block-prod24937.aspx

It just drops in.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 10:33:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Check out the Hahn Precision mag blocks.  They are super nice, bolt hold open is not a problem, does not mar the receiver.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/bolt-parts/caliber-conversion-kits/ar-15-dedicated-9mm-conversion-block-prod24937.aspx

It just drops in.

I just bumped a thread on the VM Hy-tech which I am probably going to pass on now as the reviews for these Hahns are very favorable.
I assume the drop in is the way to go ? A little more work  but a more reliable capture and no set screws.

Link Posted: 8/21/2015 10:38:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Now looking at ways to protect the lower.
Probably a set of anti-walk pins which is probably a good idea even if not converted to 9mm.

Hydraulic buffers are said to lower rate of fire, maintain better accuracy and reduce wear and tear.
This one is on sale
http://loadoutroom.com/11622/crosshair-hydraulic-buffer-shoot-straight-protect-carbine/

at the same place that offers this stainless steel one.

http://www.buffertech.com/KynSHOT-AR15-Collapsible-Stock-Precision-Hydraulic-Recoil-Damper-P325.aspx

(Thinking out loud here)

Edit; just talked to the Buffer technologies rep who said neither are specifically designed for 9MM or any other cartridge other than 5.56.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 10:39:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I just bumped a thread on the VM Hy-tech which I am probably going to pass on now as the reviews for these Hahns are very favorable.
I assume the drop in is the way to go ? A little more work  but a more reliable capture and no set screws.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

It just drops in.

Double check but I think the drop in does not have last round bolt hold open, which may or may not be a big deal to you.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 10:49:01 AM EDT
[#6]

Double check but I think the drop in does not have last round bolt hold open, which may or may not be a big deal to you.
View Quote

I'll call them.
Hold open on last shot is down my priority list.
Not screwing up /marking the receiver is top.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 9:47:36 PM EDT
[#7]
This is my setup.  It runs perfectly with 115gr, 124gr and 147gr ammo.

The Colt AR15 Model 614 (full auto) lower is not affected at all.

The important parts:

Hahn bottom loading conversion block
Colt 10.5" 9mm barreled upper (Colt Part #SP62993)
Colt 9mm BCG (Colt Part #SP62860) ramped by m60joe <<<< must be ramped !!!
Colt 9mm Buffer Assembly (Colt Part #SP62913)
Colt 9mm Receiver Extension Spacer (Colt Part #SP400211)
Wolff XP Spring
Geissele SSF trigger group and Geissele pins only

Accessories:

Daniel Defense EZ-CAR 7.0 rail
Daniel Defense VFG
MagPul CTR mil-spec stock
Troy flip-up rear sight
AimPoint PRO

Magazines:

Colt, Metalform or Brownells only.

The bolt will hold open after last shot fired
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 7:41:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 6:47:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the responses.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 2:50:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Haun blocks have always worked for me. They are traditionally the most expensive, and they also traditionally always work. You get what you pay for. The CMMG ones are cheaper and I have also heard good things. 6 one way half a dozen the other.
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top