Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Site Notices
Posted: 7/31/2015 3:58:44 PM EDT
Sorry if this horse has been beaten to death here before but search isn't really turning up much and due to the rapid price increase in the past few years google has been a bit useless for me.  The lack (ie Ziltch) of RDIAS for sale also makes it hard to determine any type of value.

I'm looking to buy another NFA toy, specifically a RDIAS.  Not really looking for an RR or RLL.

What I am looking to find out is how much money should I be expecting to shell out for an RDIAS?  Anyone have any idea on a range?  I was expecting in the neighborhood of $25,000 but with the RR dropping down to mid teens makes me believe a RDIAS can be had for under $20,000... or am I dreaming?

I really want to kick myself for not pulling the trigger back in the day when they were under 10k.... I thought to myself "why would I want to spend so much on a piece of metal?! i'll wait till the price goes down a bit"

Also, any specific places to hawk to find one?  I've been lurking subguns, ee, armslist, gunbroker, and nfasales to no avail.  I plan to visit knob creek come october in hopes to find one, but not sure if any vendors have these.... never looked specifically the last time.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 4:03:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I think your dreaming.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 4:48:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
What I am looking to find out is how much money should I be expecting to shell out for an RDIAS?  Anyone have any idea on a range?  I was expecting in the neighborhood of $25,000 but with the RR dropping down to mid teens makes me believe a RDIAS can be had for under $20,000... or am I dreaming?
View Quote

Yes you are dreaming.

They come for sale often enough, but sell quick. Ruben sold two (with lowers) for $29K each in last month. Another was on sale at subguns & Sturm earlier this week but sold in few hours and ad was pulled. I think it was $25K.

I think anything for $27K/$28K or less will likely sell same day.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 5:12:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, anything is possible.  I paid $11k for my Colt M16 when they were going for around $20k.  That said, it's really, really, really unlikely.

I think $25k is probably about right, but they have recently gone for as much as $32k.  Under $20k would really be quite a find, but again, you might get lucky.

Keep your eye open everywhere.  I found my m16 in my local newspaper classifieds.  You might try placing a WTB ad on strumgewehr and letting sellers come to you...that's how I managed to get my Fleming HK sear for a reasonable price.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 6:47:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the response guys.   I guess i should cast and see what i can catch and be ready to add $$$ to that price.

Ill adjust my expectaions and if i get lower that will be a nice surprise
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:09:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I may be misreading how the machine gun market has drifted in the last few years, but from what I can tell, the good deals in particular, and a lot of deals in general, are done between individuals who know or vouch for the other party.  That is to say, the market has drifted back to the pre-internet type of transactions.

So, make friends with gun people.

Best of luck.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 12:51:09 AM EDT
[#6]
You are dreaming if you think you will get it under $20k, I would say $25k is realistic but even then you will need to do a little research and be patient for the right deal.

If you're on a budget a ar15 conversion RR can be had for as low as $15-18k or a RLL for $11-13k
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 5:05:40 AM EDT
[#7]
If these prices keep rising, I may seriously sell one of my RDIASs.  It's just getting so high for a tiny ass piece of metal, it's getting tempting.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 5:11:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I may be misreading how the machine gun market has drifted in the last few years, but from what I can tell, the good deals in particular, and a lot of deals in general, are done between individuals who know or vouch for the other party.  That is to say, the market has drifted back to the pre-internet type of transactions.

Best of luck.
View Quote

This.

I got a good deal on my M60 and my HK sear by buying locally from an individual.  Also a good deal on my second Colt M16 and my second PPSh41 by word of mouth from an individual.  The most expensive prices you will pay are from online and dealers, but it is also easier and safer.

OP, you could probably get a RDIAS for under $20,000, but that's one of those deals that is gonna be "this friend I know has one, here's his number", and pop up once a year or less.  You'd be a lot better spending $5k more and actually getting one.  For the price, a Colt M16 lower is a pretty good option IMO.  I like my RDIASs, but a real Colt lower can be had for less, and there's something to be said about having a real Colt M16 lower.  Also, then a conversion lower for an additional $5k off aint bad at all either.

Good luck with the hunt!
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 3:16:24 PM EDT
[#9]
There is one for $24,000 on subguns right now.  No idea about any details.  You'll have to contact Frank to find out.

http://www.subguns.com/classifieds/index.cgi?db=nfafirearms&website=&language=&session_key=&search_and_display_db_button=on&results_format=long&db_id=25869&query=retrieval

EDIT: I got mine 2 years ago for $20,500.  Steel.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 11:33:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

This.

I got a good deal on my M60 and my HK sear by buying locally from an individual.  Also a good deal on my second Colt M16 and my second PPSh41 by word of mouth from an individual.  The most expensive prices you will pay are from online and dealers, but it is also easier and safer.

OP, you could probably get a RDIAS for under $20,000, but that's one of those deals that is gonna be "this friend I know has one, here's his number", and pop up once a year or less.  You'd be a lot better spending $5k more and actually getting one.  For the price, a Colt M16 lower is a pretty good option IMO.  I like my RDIASs, but a real Colt lower can be had for less, and there's something to be said about having a real Colt M16 lower.  Also, then a conversion lower for an additional $5k off aint bad at all either.

Good luck with the hunt!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Best of luck.

This.

Good luck with the hunt!

Agreed any time you buy from a dealer there is big mark up. I bought my first MG as a private sale but I took the time too look up the guys address, phone number and other info he gave me and made sure it all was legit before buying.

If you're buying a RDIAS then chances are you're just looking for a shooter and not something with collectible value like a colt. If so I highly recommend a conversion M16, I sent mine off to adjust a few dimensions and have it re-anodized, it's now mil-spec dimensions and looks brand new, great gun at a fraction of the price of a m16a1 or m16a2.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 8:28:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If these prices keep rising, I may seriously sell one of my RDIASs.  It's just getting so high for a tiny ass piece of metal, it's getting tempting.
View Quote

It's not a tiny piece of metal, it's a privilege...
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 9:49:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well MG ownership should be a right. Unfortunately because of our government it's become a privege only available to the wealthy.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 1:12:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
There is one for $24,000 on subguns right now.  No idea about any details.  You'll have to contact Frank to find out.

http://www.subguns.com/classifieds/index.cgi?db=nfafirearms&website=&language=&session_key=&search_and_display_db_button=on&results_format=long&db_id=25869&query=retrieval

EDIT: I got mine 2 years ago for $20,500.  Steel.
View Quote

That's Frank at Midwest Tactical.  That is not a fixed price. It is at auction on GB. It is also a Jonathan Arthur Ceiner sear.....which is not a desirable sear to own.  The buy it now price is $29k, which is absolutely silly for a JAC sear.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 8:43:18 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
That's Frank at Midwest Tactical. That is not a fixed price. It is at auction on GB. It is also a Jonathan Arthur Ceiner sear.....which is not a desirable sear to own. The buy it now price is $29k, which is absolutely silly for a JAC sear.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

There is one for $24,000 on subguns right now. No idea about any details. You'll have to contact Frank to find out.

EDIT: I got mine 2 years ago for $20,500. Steel.

That's Frank at Midwest Tactical. That is not a fixed price. It is at auction on GB. It is also a Jonathan Arthur Ceiner sear.....which is not a desirable sear to own. The buy it now price is $29k, which is absolutely silly for a JAC sear.

Any background on why the JAC sears aren't desirable?
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 6:47:48 PM EDT
[#15]
1. Wake up from your dream.
2. Get a time machine bc NFA transferable guns have not ever gone down in price. Long term they have only gone UP.

If you want one buy ASAP. they might go down a few bucks here and there but in all reality they are going to continue to go up, supply and demand, More shooters are getting into NFA everyday. Also more young people are getting into NFA, and the ones that are, have money and spend it. Bite the bullet and cry once. We all wish we could have bought 5 or 6 RDIAS and 5 or 6 HK sear packs back in the late 80s early 90s for a couple hundred bucks. A few NIB Colt M16 for $800, Uzis for $500, and others.

Oh wait....I did.
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 7:35:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
1. Wake up from your dream.
2. Get a time machine bc NFA transferable guns have not ever gone down in price. Long term they have only gone UP.

If you want one buy ASAP. they might go down a few bucks here and there but in all reality they are going to continue to go up, supply and demand, More shooters are getting into NFA everyday. Also more young people are getting into NFA, and the ones that are, have money and spend it. Bite the bullet and cry once. We all wish we could have bought 5 or 6 RDIAS and 5 or 6 HK sear packs back in the late 80s early 90s for a couple hundred bucks. A few NIB Colt M16 for $800, Uzis for $500, and others.

Oh wait....I did.
View Quote

Sucks for us young folks, I was born after 1986 and couldnt even own a MG until not to long ago
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 10:47:10 PM EDT
[#17]
To be young is not to suck: those of us born in the 50s are staring at our last 15-20 years of life, something you cannot extend, no matter how many machine guns we own....

That being said it sure feels good getting on the bus in 1999. What I spent on 4 MGs back then buys just 1 today.
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 3:28:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
To be young is not to suck: those of us born in the 50s are staring at our last 15-20 years of life, something you cannot extend, no matter how many machine guns we own....

That being said it sure feels good getting on the bus in 1999. What I spent on 4 MGs back then buys just 1 today.
View Quote

I guess I lucked out as I bought my first machinegun around the same timeframe as you, pickup up another 9 machineguns during the 2000s, but was in my 20s and early 30s at the time.

If I had gotten started even 3 or 4 years earlier, I would have been really able to hit the lottery when guns/sears were really stupid cheap in comparison.  Like sub $1000 HK sear cheap vs. $3000 when I got my first one in 2003.

2005 to 2007 is when prices really started to take off with the only slowdown around 08/09.    Nowadays there isn't really much out there anymore I would want to add at the values these guns are at cost-wise.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 3:02:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I guess I lucked out as I bought my first machinegun around the same timeframe as you, pickup up another 9 machineguns during the 2000s, but was in my 20s and early 30s at the time.

If I had gotten started even 3 or 4 years earlier, I would have been really able to hit the lottery when guns/sears were really stupid cheap in comparison.  Like sub $1000 HK sear cheap vs. $3000 when I got my first one in 2003.

2005 to 2007 is when prices really started to take off with the only slowdown around 08/09.    Nowadays there isn't really much out there anymore I would want to add at the values these guns are at cost-wise.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I always think about that.  I was old enough to start buying machine guns in 2007.  I didn't start buying machine guns though until 2011-2012.  I have a great collection for a young dude, but in that 5 year period I could practically have a collection twice the size for the same money.  Damn!  It's not too bad though, since 2011-2012 prices now look great in 2015!
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 3:25:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

This.

Good luck with the hunt!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Best of luck.

This.

Good luck with the hunt!

This is actually my issue. I can't decide which way to go for my first MG?  Everyone has a different opinion and they all seem logical.  LoL. Not sure what to do and I'm hoping to make this move sometime soon and I can't make up my F***ing mind.

OP I think putting an AD out there is a good idea especially if you state your negotiable but, then again I am no where near experienced enough in this area.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 9:53:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

This is actually my issue. I can't decide which way to go for my first MG?  Everyone has a different opinion and they all seem logical.  LoL. Not sure what to do and I'm hoping to make this move sometime soon and I can't make up my F***ing mind.

OP I think putting an AD out there is a good idea especially if you state your negotiable but, then again I am no where near experienced enough in this area.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Best of luck.

This.

Good luck with the hunt!

You can try and put an ad out there but in most cases there is such demand, especially for RDIAS that the seller of one doesnt need to go around looking for a buyer, they simply post an ad themselves and likely receive an over whelming amount of emails. In this market to find a good deal a buyer needs to do lots of research, often checking websites daily not to miss anything as good deals sometimes only last a few hours.

FWIW i got a great deal on my M16 by being patient and checking nearly a dozen forums daily for about a month. The dealer told me he posted the ad at 1pm on sturm and i saw it that day at 5pm, i called him right before he closed and asked a few questions, i thought about it over the night and i called his store the next day a few minutes before it officially opened to make the deal.
Since youre looking to get into the M16 market here is some info to get you started.

Transferable M16 machine guns and estimated market values:
RLL $13-15k
RR AR15 Auto Conversion $16-19k
RR Colt M16 & M16A1 $21-26k
RDIAS $22-28k
RR Colt M16A2 $28-33k

Websites to watch for good deals on machine guns:
http://www.sturmgewehr.com
http://www.shootersdepot.com
http://www.atfmachinegun.com
http://www.autoweapons.com
http://www.impactguns.com
http://www.subguns.com
http://www.onlythebestfirearms.com
http://www.davidspiwak.com
http://dealernfa.com
http://www.gunbroker.com
http://www.nfasales.com
http://www.classiiidealers.com/
http://www.westernfirearms.com/
http://www.urban-armory.com/

Website that tracks machine gun values:
http://www.machinegunpriceguide.com/
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 11:22:33 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
You can try and put an ad out there but in most cases there is such demand, especially for RDIAS that the seller of one doesnt need to go around looking for a buyer, they simply post an ad themselves and likely receive an over whelming amount of emails. In this market to find a good deal a buyer needs to do lots of research, often checking websites daily not to miss anything as good deals sometimes only last a few hours.

FWIW i got a great deal on my M16 by being patient and checking nearly a dozen forums daily for about a month. The dealer told me he posted the ad at 1pm on sturm and i saw it that day at 5pm, i called him right before he closed and asked a few questions, i thought about it over the night and i called his store the next day a few minutes before it officially opened to make the deal.

Since youre looking to get into the M16 market here is some info to get you started.

RLL $13-15k

RDIAS $22-28k

RR Colt M16A2 $28-33k

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Best of luck.

This.

Good luck with the hunt!

RLL $13-15k

RDIAS $22-28k

RR Colt M16A2 $28-33k

I think you can find some better deals and registered.

I found a semi-local colt SP1 converted by ballistics to full auto for  12,000.  Yes I know it's  a pretty good deal but I don't want to spend the money on a second m16 when I already have my A1 and my registered and auto connector

Link Posted: 8/19/2015 12:19:45 PM EDT
[#23]
This is actually my issue. I can't decide which way to go for my first MG? Everyone has a different opinion and they all seem logical. LoL. Not sure what to do and I'm hoping to make this move sometime soon and I can't make up my F***ing mind.

View Quote

In 1999 I spent somewhat more than average for my M16A1, HK MP5SD and after a few years it didn't matter, since both grew so much in value...

The key is getting a fair price, close to market. Get off the pot, you won't regret it.

You can get an  614 Colt M16lower for about $20k, the best deal nowadays IMHO...
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 1:58:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted: I found a semi-local cold SP1 converted by ballistics to full auto for  12,000.  Yes I noticed a pretty good deal but I don't want to spend the money on a second and 16th when I already have my A1 and my registered and auto connector
View Quote

Anything is possible, just a matter of how long you want to wait for that steal of a deal. And if you wait too long the prices will rise, and last years Ok deal is now the new steal and you will wish you would have just paid the avg asking price earlier.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 2:47:30 PM EDT
[#25]
The problem with NFA machine guns, especially the high end stuff like RDIAS and other stuff, is that guys are becoming more and more wealthy, and now can buy machine guns.  Many California tech execs are moving to Texas, where they can now own these toys. I once took an exec shooting, and now I sometimes find myself bidding against this guy if a desirable item comes up for sale.

$29,000 for an RDIAS? That's way less than a Lambo, which I see regularly in Austin.

Prices are going to go up and and up just because these items are now prestige items. Want to entertain a wealthy client? Take them out to shoot machine guns. Way cheaper and leaves a more lasting impact than a sky box at a UT game and more prestigious. A lot of wealthy people refuse to go to regular season sports games, unless they're in a sky box, but machine gun shooting in 100 degree weather? No problem!

That's what you're up against.

Link Posted: 8/19/2015 2:50:51 PM EDT
[#26]
its still bullshit pricing/defacto ban. im 35 so i couldnt have bought this stuff when it was "cheap". unlike the rest of arfcom im not a rich man with a 12" dick. i pisses me off because i could easily make one in an evening in my garage
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 3:07:27 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

its still bullshit pricing/defacto ban. im 35 so i couldnt have bought this stuff when it was "cheap". unlike the rest of arfcom im not a rich man with a 12" dick. i pisses me off because i could easily make one in an evening in my garage
View Quote
Are you telling me you did not have $3000 is 2001 when you were 21 for a RDIAS? Or $750/1000 for a nib Mac or sten?

Link Posted: 8/19/2015 3:10:45 PM EDT
[#28]
i would have been dangerous with a mg when i was 21 and didnt know you could buy them
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 6:06:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The problem with NFA machine guns, especially the high end stuff like RDIAS and other stuff, is that guys are becoming more and more wealthy, and now can buy machine guns.  Many California tech execs are moving to Texas, where they can now own these toys. I once took an exec shooting, and now I sometimes find myself bidding against this guy if a desirable item comes up for sale.

$29,000 for an RDIAS? That's way less than a Lambo, which I see regularly in Austin.

View Quote

Yeah we saw this in 90s during Dot-Com boom. Back then you did not need to be a Cali Exec to get in on it. Rank/file employees were striking gold. FYIFV etc.

Link Posted: 8/20/2015 10:25:00 AM EDT
[#30]
Thanks for all the updates guys.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 12:47:23 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

i would have been dangerous with a mg when i was 21 and didnt know you could buy them
View Quote

First one say you were too young to get in on the cheap Mgs.

Now you are saying to would be dangerous?

I am surrounded by 18/21 yr olds with M4s, m320s, 249s,240, rockets, ect....
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 3:03:27 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Are you telling me you did not have $3000 is 2001 when you were 21 for a RDIAS? Or $750/1000 for a nib Mac or sten?  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good point.

Link Posted: 8/21/2015 3:04:34 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Good point.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good point.

I'm rich with a 12" dick?  Didn't know that.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 3:41:05 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Good point.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good point.

I didn't have that when I turned 21 around the same time. Up in Alaska there were no NFA dealers where I was at and I didn't really know anything about that world even though I was a pretty active shooter. By the time I knew what was going on the prices had started to get stupid.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 11:56:46 PM EDT
[#35]
I was 21 in 1998. I was a fence sitter and almost started buying transferables at that time. I was heavily invested in dot com stocks and almost sold off half my stocks to buy transferables. My dad and brother thought it was a poor plan and talked me out of it. I was going to buy a few M11/9s when they were $650 in SGN. The dot bomb happened, I lost a bunch of money and finally decided to buy my first M16 and two vector fullsize UZIs in early 2002. Then I proceeded to pass on many good deals, the most recent of which were a qualified sear in a hk94/mp5 for $14.5k in 2012 and a Fleming sear in a SP89 for $17.5k in 2013. I just didn't have the cash at either time, but should have figured out a way to make both happen. The first deal I was moving out to CA for a year. The second deal I was moving back to the southeast from CA. Add a Sendra RR for $7k and DLO Sterling for $2800 in '09 to the list of "should have done it" purchases.
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top