Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Posted: 7/1/2015 1:04:59 AM EDT
M16A2 for sale with ATF Evidence tag?

Would like to know the back story on this one......................

http://www.subguns.com/classifieds/index.cgi?db=nfafirearms&website=&language=&session_key=&search_and_display_db_button=on&results_format=long&db_id=26022&query=retrieval
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 3:17:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Dan collins III shows to be an attorney in Collins, MS.  

Found a IV which appears to be his son who is LE in Collins, MS area.  

He's also owed $100 or more in the MS lost funds account.  

Call him and ask about both
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 12:20:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Just a heads up, thats not technically a commando model as its marked Burst instead of Auto, its just a regular M16A2 with a short barrel upper.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 12:53:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Last name on tag is McIntosh.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 4:18:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Frank sold some of his guns a year or two ago.  Had a bunch of AC556's NIB with the same tags on them.  That's all I know.  The ATF can seize his inventory due to a bankruptcy and surrendering of his license.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 4:45:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My bad, same guy.  Typo
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 10:17:28 PM EDT
[#7]
glad they didnt cut that work of art up... nice gun
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 8:11:51 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a M11/9 that I bought from frank with an evidence tag from that guy. I had an LEO friend look up the court case and print it out for me. They seized 50 guns from ole Dan, and it basically boiled down to him being an illegal user of marijuana in possesion of a firearm. Whats strange is that this guy was a narcotics officer for the sheriffs department. Probably failed a drug test or something. My LEO friend said he must have screwed up and this is what they got him on.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 4:47:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Just a heads up, thats not technically a commando model as its marked Burst instead of Auto, its just a regular M16A2 with a short barrel upper.
View Quote

True. Someone installed a Commando upper and collapsible stock on a M16A2 lower. The castle nut is not staked to the receiver endplate. And the castle nut is marred from its removal off of another rifle, where the stake was broken. Still a nice firearm, but not in its original configuration.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 5:25:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Actually I went back and looked at the documents I have on this case. The guy pled out to unlawful user of narcotics in possesion of a firearm. His plea deal got him 6 months in the pen, 3 years supervised probation. He forfeited 15 machineguns to the US Government. There were 53 guns involved total, 7 of which were not machine guns (Spas 12, a few sawed off shotguns and 2 pistols). He was allowed to sell these guns to a licensed dealer and receive the money for those other  38 guns, and that number includes 31 machine guns. So these evidence tags, on my gun, the gun in this thread, and all the Ruger guns frank had a while back were not in the group that was forfeited to the government. They were in the group of guns the guy was allowed to sell.

Ole Dan was a narcotics officer and because of this he probably got the sweet 6 month deal and made a ton of money being allowed to sell 31 machineguns instead of them all being seized. The dude had a collection. yeah there were a few low grade guns in the bunch like the M11/9 I bought, but he had things like 3 consecutive M11/9s, Fleming sears, M16s, 8 uzis (part of the forfieture) , 15 Ruger Ac556s, M60, HK MP5s, you get the idea
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 9:45:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Actually I went back and looked at the documents I have on this case. The guy pled out to unlawful user of narcotics in possesion of a firearm. His plea deal got him 6 months in the pen, 3 years supervised probation. He forfeited 15 machineguns to the US Government. There were 53 guns involved total, 7 of which were not machine guns (Spas 12, a few sawed off shotguns and 2 pistols). He was allowed to sell these guns to a licensed dealer and receive the money for those other  38 guns, and that number includes 31 machine guns. So these evidence tags, on my gun, the gun in this thread, and all the Ruger guns frank had a while back were not in the group that was forfeited to the government. They were in the group of guns the guy was allowed to sell.

Ole Dan was a narcotics officer and because of this he probably got the sweet 6 month deal and made a ton of money being allowed to sell 31 machineguns instead of them all being seized. The dude had a collection. yeah there were a few low grade guns in the bunch like the M11/9 I bought, but he had things like 3 consecutive M11/9s, Fleming sears, M16s, 8 uzis (part of the forfieture) , 15 Ruger Ac556s, M60, HK MP5s, you get the idea
View Quote

Hell of a collections, didn't realize narcotics officers got paid that well. That or he squired them all back prior to the mass increase in MG prices.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 5:05:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Your right. I can't opine as to how he acquired them. They were cheap at one time and it looks like he came from a well off family. Either way. Was thinking about doing a FOIA with ATF on mine. No idea what it can tell me in addition to the info I have on it. One thing would be if these things were on a Form 3 or Four when they were seized, the other would be when he got them I guess.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 12:05:46 AM EDT
[#13]
what happened to the 15 surrendered to the govt?  Chopped up?
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top