Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Posted: 6/23/2015 11:24:21 PM EDT
A local PD has military surplus full auto M16's and wants to convert them to only fire in semiautomatic.  I remember I posted on this forum a couple years ago inquiring about a clip that you place into an M16 lower to stop the safety selector from firing on full auto.  Someone posted a picture of it as well as a link to an ebay post for the clip.  Apparently my search-fu sucks because I cannot find the post or a link to the clip anywhere.  If anyone can help, I would appreciate it.  And yes, I understand you can tell everyone to not switch to full auto and/or switch out the safety selector but this clip seemed to be the easiest fix.  Thanks in advance for the help.  

Link Posted: 6/21/2015 10:20:03 PM EDT
[#1]
There are a few products but try looking over in the retro forum.  There's a stamped metal piece that can be sandwiched between the lower and the pistol grip that will prevent rotation of the selector past semi.

That said, you could simply swap the trigger group out with semi-auto parts and selector.

Wes
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 10:23:32 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

There are a few products but try looking over in the retro forum.  There's a stamped metal piece that can be sandwiched between the lower and the pistol grip that will prevent rotation of the selector past semi.

That said, you could simply swap the trigger group out with semi-auto parts and selector.

Wes
View Quote

Actually you would only need to swap out the selector and disconnector.

No need to remove the autosear or change the trigger.

Link Posted: 6/21/2015 10:52:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Wes
View Quote

This is what I'd do
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 11:54:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Why not just replace the FCG with a commercial semi version?
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 5:04:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wes

This is the simplest way to do it and prevent evil full-autoness.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 6:11:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 10:35:28 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View Quote

Yes, this would prevent full auto fire.

However, the problem with only changing out the bolt carrier is the selector could still be put into full auto position (maybe even by accident under stress).  

If the selector was put into the full auto position and the gun fired, you would get one shot and then the hammer would get hung up on the auto sear.  Without the proper bolt carrier to trip the sear, the only way to get the gun to fire another shot would be top pop open the upper and hit the auto sear with your finger.

That is, without a full auto bolt in an otherwise full auto gun set to the 3rd position, you get a single shot gun which needs to be opened up after each shot until the selector is moved back to semi.

Link Posted: 6/22/2015 10:40:18 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

The selector blocking device.

http://i.imgur.com/TL1CBrV.jpg

The easiest thing to do, IMO, would be to replace the M16 selector with a 2-pos semi auto selector.

You could also pull the sears if desired.

just my .02¢

View Quote

If you replaced the selector, you would also need to replace the disconnector with a semi-auto one (or remove the tail from a full auto one) as a full auto one won't will fit in a gun with a semi-auto selector.

Pulling the sear alone wouldn't do it because if the selector was in the full auto position, the hammer would just follow the bolt carrier giving you either a slam fire or a misfire.  Pulling the sear in addition to changing the selector and disconnector would be unnecessary.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 10:44:06 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

However, the problem with only changing out the bolt carrier is the selector could still be put into full auto position (maybe even by accident under stress).

If the selector was put into the full auto position and the gun fired, you would get one shot and then the hammer would get hung up on the auto sear. Without the proper bolt carrier to trip the sear, the only way to get the gun to fire another shot would be top pop open the upper and hit the auto sear with your finger.

That is, without a full auto bolt in an otherwise full auto gun set to the 3rd position, you get a single shot gun which needs to be opened up after each shot until the selector is moved back to semi.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If the selector was put into the full auto position and the gun fired, you would get one shot and then the hammer would get hung up on the auto sear. Without the proper bolt carrier to trip the sear, the only way to get the gun to fire another shot would be top pop open the upper and hit the auto sear with your finger.

I believe rotating the selector to semi would cam the auto sear out of the way and allow you to shoot again.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 11:04:11 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I believe rotating the selector to semi would cam the auto sear out of the way and allow you to shoot again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, you are correct.  Moving the selector to semi does move the auto sear and that should clear the "jam".

However, I don't know how much force would be required to move the selector as normally the auto sear is not under tension like it would be while holding back the hammer.

Link Posted: 6/23/2015 4:34:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Wangstang...do you know the part number for the piece that gets sandwiched between the lower and pistol grip?  They want to avoid altering the gun too much and the piece I'm asking about solves the problem with it being inserted.  Anyone know the part number or where I can purchase one?
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 5:15:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Search for "M16 selector lock plate"

NSN 1005-00-233-9031 according to the -23&P
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 8:35:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Wangstang...do you know the part number for the piece that gets sandwiched between the lower and pistol grip?  They want to avoid altering the gun too much and the piece I'm asking about solves the problem with it being inserted.  Anyone know the part number or where I can purchase one?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The item pictured above is what the product I've seen used in person...here it is again:

The NSN listed in the above post was right:
Quoted:
Search for "M16 selector lock plate"

NSN 1005-00-233-9031 according to the -23&P

Here's a listing for them:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/USGI-5-56-223-Lock-Plate-NSN-1005-00-233-9031-New-Old-Stock-/330726955904

Wes
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 9:36:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

If the selector was put into the full auto position and the gun fired, you would get one shot and then the hammer would get hung up on the auto sear.  Without the proper bolt carrier to trip the sear, the only way to get the gun to fire another shot would be top pop open the upper and hit the auto sear with your finger.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Technically, if you replace the FCG with commercial semi auto parts, you won't have the hook on the hammer, so nothing will get caught on the sear.

The only question would be whether the disconnect would work if the safety was somehow flipped
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 12:09:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Swap out for semi parts. Easy and cheap.

I'll do a test tomorrow with my AR and use a semi bolt with F/A parts. I'm curious. I run some ARs with RDIASes, and I've never thought of testing one with a semi bolt while using M16 FCG.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 12:16:56 AM EDT
[#16]
There is a lot of over-thinking going on in this thread.

Osprey21 is right-on. The only thing you should do is replace the selector with a semi-auto AR safety. I did not even bother pulling out the sears when I did ours.

You should not use those stupid selector blockers. They snag other objects, are not finger friendly (they shift the pistol grip as well), and they break. Sometimes people make them break on purpose. That doesn't happen with a safety, and they are inexpensive. They're also easier to swap. Usually you can get away without having to completely remove the pistol grip, have the selector at about 45 degrees and knock it out, then hold the detent down when you slip in the new safety. Simple.

If you insist on using the stupid NSN block, I believe there is/was a place to get them for free (or close to it) within the government. Don't make me dig for that old link though, because they're dumb... and stupid. Did I mention they were dumb and stupid?

Link Posted: 6/24/2015 9:55:40 AM EDT
[#17]
My local MG dealer got ten Colt M16A1 rifles from the Alyeska Pipeline Co. in '01.  Through a FOIA letter I learned they were part of the original LARGE order delivered to Alyeska directly from Colt in '79.  All were shipped to AK with semi selectors installed, and sold in '01 in the same condition.  I bought one and all the dealer did was install a FA selector to restore the happy switch.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 5:35:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FYI-

FCG means Fire Control Group - All the full auto parts, not just the Bolt Carrier.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 5:36:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
There is a lot of over-thinking going on in this thread.

Osprey21 is right-on. The only thing you should do is replace the selector with a semi-auto AR safety. I did not even bother pulling out the sears when I did ours

View Quote

Amen...
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 10:08:43 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

FYI-

FCG means Fire Control Group - All the full auto parts, not just the Bolt Carrier.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

FYI-

I misread the quote and was thinking bolt carrier as it was in my mind as I briefly considered what would happen if only the bolt was replaced.  I'm aware of what FCG means.
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top