Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Posted: 6/17/2015 12:05:47 AM EDT
First off thanks for all the great info in this subforum. I have been reading it for years and finally jumped in. I now have a model 614 incoming and am curious about replacement parts. I don't mind tinkering but I want a known working configuration that I can start from. I thought I would start with a Vltor A5 setup and a 6921 upper. I'm just not sure where to source a new fgc. Specialized Armament FCP-003? That looks to include everything. Is that what I am looking for?

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 12:46:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
First off thanks for all the great info in this subforum. I have been reading it for years and finally jumped in. I now have a model 614 incoming and am curious about replacement parts. I don't mind tinkering but I want a known working configuration that I can start from. I thought I would start with a Vltor A5 setup and a 6921 upper. I'm just not sure where to source a new fgc. Specialized Armament FCP-003? That looks to include everything. Is that what I am looking for?
View Quote

The gold standard of working configs is 20" barrel, rifle gas, fixed stock.  Beyond that, you start tinkering.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 2:26:29 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm sure you understand why I would rather not leave the original upper on there. I know a good portion prefer the rifle buttstock but I really want the adjustable. Hence the A5, compromise I'm sure. Should it come to it where could I source a rifle upper (colt)? A quick scan of gunbroker and it is obvious how out of favor they have become.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 7:20:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Nice i would leave the d style stock they are actually comfy any upper can be scored on ee here.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 7:42:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Put whatever barrel length/upper you want on it. One of the advantages of a MG is it can have any length of barrel.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 12:12:32 PM EDT
[#5]
I do intend to have a few uppers. Something short (6933), medium (6921), and I imagine I will even pick up a rifle length. Just hoping to avoid a closet full of stuff I don't like. Fantasy on my part? Maybe.

Regarding the fcg. I have giessle SSA's in my AR's and really like them. I'll pick up an SSF down the road I'm sure. Right now I am just trying to source a complete replacement colt setup.  FCP-003 from Specialized Armament looks to be complete. Hair pulling because of a bent, broken or otherwise tired old spring is not high on my fun list.

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 12:17:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm sure you understand why I would rather not leave the original upper on there. I know a good portion prefer the rifle buttstock but I really want the adjustable. Hence the A5, compromise I'm sure. Should it come to it where could I source a rifle upper (colt)? A quick scan of gunbroker and it is obvious how out of favor they have become.
View Quote

As mentioned, you can score another rifle upper here in the EE if it's just gotta be Colt for you and you don't see what you want on gunbroker or other sale sites.  

There are dozens of high quality 20" rifle gas uppers from top-tier manufacturers; and hundreds if you start looking for bargains.

I understand you wanting to go for a collapsible stock, but I recommend you start out with the fixed stock and rifle upper and verify that runs perfectly before you start changing other things.  Then you can swap in the vltor and make sure it's all good.  Then you can buy a dozen different uppers in all manner of barrel lengths, gas lengths and calibers and just go to town, but know you have a working baseline to go compare to.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 4:00:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I do intend to have a few uppers. Something short (6933), medium (6921), and I imagine I will even pick up a rifle length. Just hoping to avoid a closet full of stuff I don't like. Fantasy on my part? Maybe.

Regarding the fcg. I have giessle SSA's in my AR's and really like them. I'll pick up an SSF down the road I'm sure. Right now I am just trying to source a complete replacement colt setup.  FCP-003 from Specialized Armament looks to be complete. Hair pulling because of a bent, broken or otherwise tired old spring is not high on my fun list.

Thanks
View Quote

Having built a MK18 i have zero desire to shoot carbine or full length rifles anymore, i would recommend you start with the short, try it for awhile and if you feel the need buy additional longer uppers.

The SSF is a great trigger and worth the money.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:20:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Form 3. Approved in 7 days. Now the long wait but I did get to fondle it recently.

Tried to insert the image from my phone. As if photobucket was not a giant pain already.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 12:28:06 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a Colt 614 and an M16A1 marked "M16". Both have been totally reliable with the following uppers and stock combinations:

- 20" factory uppers with factory stocks/buffers
- 16" Colt 6721 upper with Colt M4 stock, H1 and H2 buffers, standard carbine spring
- 16" Colt 6920 upper with Colt M4 stock, H1 and H2 buffers, standard carbine spring
- 16" midlength Noveske N4 upper with Colt M4 stock, H1 and H2 buffers, standard carbine spring
- 16" KAC SR15 E3 mod1 upper with Colt M4 stock, H2 buffer, standard carbine spring
- 14.5" Colt 921 HB (m4 SOCOM) upper with Colt M4 stock, H1 and H2 buffers, standard carbine spring
- 11.5" Colt 6933 upper with Colt M4 stock, H2 buffer, standard carbine spring
- 10.5" LMT upper with Colt M4 stock, H1 and H2 buffers, standard carbine spring
- 10.5 " Noveske N4 upper with Colt M4 stock, H1 and H2 buffers, standard carbine spring

I think so long as you stick to quality upper receiver groups, quality M4 receiver extensions (or BCM A5) and appropriate buffers/springs you will not have any issues.

My two guns have been boringly reliable, unsuppressed and suppressed.  They now both permanently wear 10.5" uppers with H2 buffers and carbine recoil springs.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 12:29:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Form 3. Approved in 7 days. Now the long wait but I did get to fondle it recently.

http://i811.photobucket.com/albums/zz31/smitmw1/IMG_2190.jpg

Tried to insert the image from my phone. As if photobucket was not a giant pain already.
View Quote

That is a really nice looking rifle with nice crisp deep roll marks.  My 614 has very faint roll marks, which is my only (very minor) complaint.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 7:04:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

http://i811.photobucket.com/albums/zz31/smitmw1/IMG_2190.jpg

View Quote

Is it a full fence lower?
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 8:23:25 AM EDT
[#12]
It is a full fence lower. I will post a few more pictures since I have some questions myself. From the limited info I have found it would seem this upper might belong on a 603. Does anyone else have a 614 with forward assist?

Link Posted: 7/8/2015 9:42:01 PM EDT
[#13]
All the 14s i have seen had slick side uppers. Cmp barrels.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 12:49:28 AM EDT
[#14]
All of the pictures I have seen have slickside uppers. Serial numbers are often to blurry to make out but I haven't yet given up hope. The only other one I have held was sporting an M4 upper.

Does any one know of any references, hardcopy or online, that have good details on 614?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 10:32:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Your upper looks like my M16A1's original.  Yesterday I was in a LGS that had the exact upper (only) for sale for $1995!  So I am keeping mine in the safe and shooting my other "cheap" uppers.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 12:34:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
It is a full fence lower. I will post a few more pictures since I have some questions myself. From the limited info I have found it would seem this upper might belong on a 603. Does anyone else have a 614 with forward assist?

http://i811.photobucket.com/albums/zz31/smitmw1/6F468646-0FE2-4876-A090-01459EEC7272.jpg

View Quote

Mine came with the original upper and it does not have forward assist.
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top