Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Site Notices
Posted: 5/20/2015 9:42:36 PM EDT
Was perusing the for sale ads. Found this:

Colt Armalite AR15 (with broken English)

http://www.sturmgewehr.com/webBBS/nfa4sale.cgi?read=172715

Grammar Nazi thinks this ad is fishy.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 10:24:00 PM EDT
[#1]
It likely is. Why does it seem fishy? I'm not familiar with the exact model is that a smoking deal or something?
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 10:54:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Seems fine to me, typical internet short-hand. But as always do your homework on the seller and the gun.

Link Posted: 5/20/2015 10:59:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I was unaware that Colt and Armalite ever had a joint business venture where they BOTH manufactured the same specific serialized rifle, together as a team.
The English grammar and format of the ad makes me think it was typed by a drunk con artist in the country Zimbabwe.
The rifle is priced above market value without any reason why, such as photographs showing markings from Colt & Armalite together on the same receiver.

Link Posted: 5/21/2015 12:07:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was unaware that Colt and Armalite ever had a joint business venture where they BOTH manufactured the same specific serialized rifle, together as a team.
The English grammar and format of the ad makes me think it was typed by a drunk con artist in the country Zimbabwe.
The rifle is priced above market value without any reason why, such as photographs showing markings from Colt & Armalite together on the same receiver.

View Quote

Colt and Armalite didn't have a joint venture......the 1st Colt produced guns (Model 601 / 01) did however have both the Colt logo and Armalite "Patents Pending" markings

The market price is higher for 601's due to their C&R status, and additional collector value....

Google "Colt 601" and all will be revealed.......or head over to the retro forum.....
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 4:56:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 11:15:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Buyer claims to be in NV and the IP address of the post indicates that is true. The ad was posted from Treasure Island hotel in Las Vegas which is a bit strange but he may just be an employee.

ETA: google seems to turn up a large amount of scammers sending email from same domain as the poster of this ad, which obviously raises red flags.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 1:02:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Find a dealer near him to broker the deal. obviously there will be some fee charged by the dealer but ill gladly pay a little extra for peace of mind.

i dont think i would ever hand over tens of thousands of dollars to someone on the other side of the country in hopes that 1 year from now when a form 4 is approved they send me the item.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 3:12:38 PM EDT
[#8]
$32K or OBO for the gun should be held in escrow until fulfillment of transaction.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 9:40:44 PM EDT
[#9]
And here's another 601 currently for sale with a BIN price of a mere $34,000:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=483133680#PIC
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:16:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Buyer claims to be in NV and the IP address of the post indicates that is true. The ad was posted from Treasure Island hotel in Las Vegas which is a bit strange but he may just be an employee.

ETA: google seems to turn up a large amount of scammers sending email from same domain as the poster of this ad, which obviously raises red flags.
View Quote

How did you find that info?
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:51:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sturm lists the IP address of the poster. It's right there after his email address.
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 11:57:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Davidspiwak.com has one of those for sale as well. I can see from what they didn't block out that the serial numbers are different. My first thought was that the photos got stolen from David. David's is inventory # 633 on page 1 of his website, and 9K less expensive. By the way, I have bought 2 machine guns from David and have had nothing but a good experience. I just saw this gun last night and would be all over it if I hadn't just bought an M16 from him. That is one cool looking gun.
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 12:57:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
$32K or OBO for the gun should be held in escrow until fulfillment of transaction.
View Quote

ROFL

No Soup For You, NEXT!
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top