Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Posted: 4/10/2015 2:38:20 PM EDT
Greetings,

In the process of transferring a RR Colt M16A1.  The gun comes
with "old style" sights, 16" barrel, standard handguards, etc.  So, looking
to put something a little more "modern" on this registered lower.

After surveying some of what's available, wanted to get some feedback based
on what others are using on their M-16's... a couple of the possibilities--

A few additional notes about my situation / wants:

- since it's going on an MG, 14.5" vs 16" barrel irrelevant as far as regulatory issues go

- I already have an 11.5" SBR upper that I can use, if I want to go short... but thinking the blast
out of that barrel length won't be too pleasant to shoot on FA...

- want to be able to run suppressed or unsuppressed, as desired (I have a number of AAC
rifle suppressors that I can use, e.g., M42K, SDN6, etc.)

- wondering if it's worth looking at a "heavy barrel" option to help with heat dissipation?

Thanks for your input,

SD

Link Posted: 4/10/2015 4:22:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't see how anyone could be unhappy with a 7.5" especially if your going to run a can..
I've got the sig Sauer 516 7.5" gas piston..it's been great.
I am loving the shorties so much I just went 5"9 mm

The muzzle blast doesn't seem to bother me when shooting close which Is what it's meant for..
Although when I watch someone else shooting it , I was surprised how much of a flamethrower it is.

Link Posted: 4/10/2015 4:50:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't see how anyone could be unhappy with a 7.5" especially if your going to run a can..
View Quote

My concern with a 7.5" barrel would be that many mfg's don't recommend
their suppressors on 5.56 barrels that short (9mm is a different story,
but I'm only looking at 5.56 uppers with this).

To be specific, from AAC--

"The M4-2000 Mod 08s extreme durability is maximized by CNC automated
fusion welding of every high-temperature aerospace alloy component used in
its construction- making 100% suppressed full-auto fire possible on barrels
as short as 10 inches"

http://www.advanced-armament.com/M4-2000_p_409.html

Link Posted: 4/10/2015 4:52:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't see how anyone could be unhappy with a 7.5" especially if your going to run  ruin a can..
View Quote

I don't think any company will stand behind this for 5.56.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 5:11:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Interesting, I can't own one..so have no first hand experience..
I just like the looks of the 5" 9mm with can inside the hand guard
I just figured you COULD do the same thing .223..

I'd probably just do it anyway..I don't believe much in warrantee unless it arrives defective.
I'm not sure how rebuildable they are...
Also couldn't it be done with reduced loads?. The velocity from the 7" is drastically  reduced.
I would think with the right powder you'd be able to reduce  the muzzle blast  and keep the unburned and burnt powder from the suppressor .

Anyway thanks for correcting me, good to know. Shorter still equals more fun to me. Being new to NFA without  having sbr prior to own a MGs.  

*edit* I just research this.. couple manufacture make them for shorter than 10 use,, also some people run larger caliber cans on them..

everyone seemed to agree it leads to baffle  erosion if not worse.

And now I see why "I don't see how anyone could be unhappy with a 7.5" especially if your going to run a can.."
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 8:34:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I got the 14.5" Socom heavy barreled upper for my Colt M16a1.

It is loud without a can.It works with my Sakar can with a screw on mount. I don't care for the Trifecta mount, mine won't hold reliably. Or it holds on when it's not supposed to.

I'm happy with the length.

Here it is with my 6920...

Link Posted: 4/12/2015 1:41:41 PM EDT
[#6]
A12.5 -14.5" is a all around good length. By personally once I got used to a SBR I have no desire to go back to a carbine or full length rifle. Yes a SBR will be louder but it's not that much louder and suppressor will solve the issues. Similarly once I started shooting suppressed I can't stand to shoot without, especially in full auto.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 4:07:35 PM EDT
[#7]

Thanks for all the replies thus far, especially from those who have an M16.

In some further searching, I've also seen some recommending a piston upper
for full-auto.  Any thoughts on this?

For my usage, a little extra weight won't really matter, and seems like having less
gas directed back into the action could be an advantage with FA.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 5:12:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 5:47:26 PM EDT
[#9]
I like the several gas piston uppers I've been runing. I have yet to run my lightest DI upper yet full auto .

Being the extremist that I am I in either go light or heavy.
The GP doesn't add that much weight...but it does add up to a heavy rifle if your not careful with other assesorieys.
I don't carry or run with mine.i find the extra weight is more controllable Fa  than the  lighter stuff, but I am a noob.

The biggest + to me with the GP in Fa is the barrel is the only thing that get really hot.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 7:19:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Thanks for all the replies thus far, especially from those who have an M16.

In some further searching, I've also seen some recommending a piston upper
for full-auto.  Any thoughts on this?

For my usage, a little extra weight won't really matter, and seems like having less
gas directed back into the action could be an advantage with FA.

Thanks!
View Quote

100rds fired in full auto will make a firearm just as dirty as 100rds fired in semi auto. Similarly a SBR is no dirtier than a carbine or full length rifle.

The issue arises when you use a suppressor, which catches unburnt powder an creates back pressure pushing into the rifle. Yes a piston will be cleaner but it adds close to 1 lb to the rifle and because it diverts gas outside of the rifle it will always be a louder rifle than a DI rifle, something to keep In mind if you like to run I suppressed.

I prefer the quieter, lighter weight DI and just deal with the cleaning nightmare when I get home from the range.

Obviously your needs may vary so pick what makes sense for you.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 8:26:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Blast from an 11.5 is not at all bad... For the shooter. ......
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 11:41:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 2:15:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Colt , in any barrel length.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 9:34:42 AM EDT
[#14]

OPS INC said their M4-S can was OK for sub 10" 5.56.

May try to talk with Allen Engineering to see if they rate any of their cans for sub 10"

Link Posted: 4/16/2015 6:10:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Generally I prefer 10.5" uppers for the blast and fireball, but a midlength gassed 16" comes in a close second because it's easy to pull singles be very smooth shooting. I have uppers from 7.5" to 20" but the uppers from 10.5 - 16 are the most versatile and have the fewest teething problems in my experience.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 12:13:00 PM EDT
[#16]
As usual TonyK is right on. The beauty of the RR is the versatility and not having to worry about barrel length. My most reliable upper is an LWRC M6a3, 10.5". It gets almost no crud in the reciever, or heat, until you put on a can. As said it is heavy, but beta mags are very controlable. All around use a 12.5-14.5 di is great. You will end up with a bunch and hopefully some shot out barrels if you take it out alot. I have had mine for 32 years. Bob
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 3:45:05 PM EDT
[#17]
I currently shoot my M16s the most with either a LMT or Noveske N4 10.5 in CQBR format. My other favorites are the Noveske N4 16" midlength and KAC SR15e3 mod1. I also have a couple Colt 6933 uppers and a 6943 upper, but for shorties I just love the 10.5. The mod1 is the smoothest shooting of all. I use a H2 buffer and standard carbine recoil spring for all uppers.

No single upper will do.....variety is the spice of life when it comes to the M16.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 6:07:37 PM EDT
[#18]
I have to agree with tony_k on the virtues of an 14.5" upper.
Is a Very Happy Medium.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 3:47:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for all the replies-- very useful to see what others have done
with this platform.

After considering things & looking over your posts, I'm now leaning
towards a Colt 14.5"--

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/receivers/upper-receivers/complete-upper-receiver-14-5--sku160000392-69545-146415.aspx

Advantages I see:

- Keep the gun all-Colt (no so important with pieced together AR's, moreso for
an expensive Colt M16 receiver)

- Expected fewer reliability problems, per other posts

- 14.5" looks to be a nice mid-range barrel length; and I already have a 16" (old-style)
upper, as well as various 11.5" (non-Colt) options.  I might consider a 20" heavy barrel
"LMG" type upper down the road.

Thanks again!

SD

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 4:10:04 AM EDT
[#20]
FWIW, I've never had a rifle length upper (20") with a rifle gas system and standard rife buffer fail to function perfectly, in either semi or auto.  The black magic seeps in when you start using short barrels and short gas systems, and variable short buffer lengths and weights.

Damn near any RR, LL or DIAS will run perfectly any time with a rifle 20" barrel and gas system, and a rifle barrel extension and buffer installed.

Contrarily, even semis get picky when you start mixing up different barrels and gas system lengths with odd carbine receiver extensions and buffer weights with different ammo selections.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 3:09:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 7:43:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't see how anyone could be unhappy with a 7.5" especially if your going to run  ruin a can..

Saker.

I've shot out two 7.5" barrels on auto and that can has no baffle erosion.  Currently on a 7" barrel.  I love it with the can.
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 1:45:37 AM EDT
[#23]
For those who were following this thread, I took possession of my M16 this week--

...so that's the Colt 14.5" upper I ended up going with (I added the 51T mount after it arrived).

Have only put 2 mags through it, but it runs like a sewing machine so far!  

Will say that I have already ordered a "gas buster" charging handle (not shown).
Also, already have a Comp/M4 site I'm going to start with on this gun.

I have a fair # of mags as it stands, up in the air about other spares/accessories
(e.g.,  buffers?  springs?).  I also need to try one of my 11.5" SBR uppers on this
gun.

Thanks for everyone's help so far.

Link Posted: 8/6/2015 10:18:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Great looking MG. i just recently changed my stock to the CAR, very light weight and small, pairs well with the short lengths like Your 11.5"

I keep a spare of almost all of my parts as well as multiple buffer weights. To be honest I never sat down and ordered one of each I just slowly accumulated parts over time as I replaced and upgraded.
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 6:30:47 PM EDT
[#25]
I use by 10.5" upper on my RR more than anything else. 2nd would be a 16". There doesn't seem to be much of a huge difference in terms of how loud it is when you are shooting full auto. It might to those standing around me, but I cant tell a difference.

In terms of softer shooting, the mid-length uppers work just about as well as a 20" upper. The combo I have found that works the best and most controllable is when I installed a H3 buffer. It made the mid-length uppers be able to do mag dumps in a pie plate size area.

Use what you like and don't worry about the rest!!!
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 10:17:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Beautiful rifle you have there! I really like the 694x uppers. I have a 6943 SBR and plan to use the upper on my m16. I have two Colts, a factory "M16" marked and AR15 model 614. Both are setup in carbine format with standard carbine recoil springs and H2 buffers.

The uppers I have (or had) are:
- LMT 10.5 with DD ris-II mk18
- Noveske N4 10.5 with DD ris-II
- Colt 6933 11.5"
- Colt 6943 11.5"
- Colt M4a1 SOCOM 14.5" (sold it, wish I did not)
-  Noveske N4 16" middy
- Colt 6920 16"
- Original m16a1 20" uppers (never shoot these)
- KAC SR15e3 mod1 (sold it, marginally miss it)

My personal favorite uppers are the 10.5" and the Noveske N4 16" midlength. The m4a1 socom was unbelievably smooth shooting. I truly wish I had not sold it.
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top