Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Posted: 3/16/2015 11:19:46 AM EDT
I recently added a 7.62X39 7.5" upper to the gun. I was running a H2 buffer and a AR-10 buffer spring but thought maybe I should go heavier. I put a H3 on there, tested it on a semi and it ran fine. I put it on the auto the other day about one in every 5-10 rounds had a light strike and did not fire. Of course I'll go back to the H2 but can soomeone explain the mechanics of this to me?
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 1:54:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like you are already using heavier buffers, so may not be bolt bounce.  Look at the Hammer spring see if it is broke.  Might also be weak depending on how many rounds you currently have with that hammer spring more than 3k?
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 2:28:25 PM EDT
[#2]
The spring isn't broken, but it's definitely got more than 3k rounds on it. Probably closer to 5k
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 4:18:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The spring isn't broken, but it's definitely got more than 3k rounds on it. Probably closer to 5k
View Quote

It has been recommended by others with a lot more experience with the M16 than me that you should change all your springs out every 4-5K rounds, sort of like changing your oil on your car...
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 5:50:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I've not heard that before but it makes sense. Cheap and easy, that's the kind of fix I like.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 7:33:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 11:28:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Steel cased ammo?  Probably not enough FP protrusion.  Need about .039"
View Quote

I've run probably around 500 trouble free rounds through this upper before I switched buffers.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 11:38:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I've run probably around 500 trouble free rounds through this upper before I switched buffers.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Steel cased ammo?  Probably not enough FP protrusion.  Need about .039"

A new firing pin fixed my light strikes.I don't remember the measurements but the new one was .01" longer.

Link Posted: 3/18/2015 11:46:30 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Steel cased ammo? Probably not enough FP protrusion. Need about .039"

It may be a timing/bolt bounce issue combined with the need for extra protrusion.  If you don't have an extended firing pin I would get one.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 1:28:09 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm going to chime in and say Trigger Spring.

Happened to me a few years back.  Usually the round would fire, but sometimes not.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 6:03:42 PM EDT
[#10]
It is bolt bounce issue. See if you can acquire a ferfrans bolt carrier group
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top