Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Posted: 3/5/2015 10:34:07 AM EDT
On my Colt M-16A1 the buffer tube "nut" is staked into place and has a drop of paint on/near the staking. I always wanted to get into the LMG upper with full length stock but am wondering if this is considered taboo collector wise in removing the factory {marking}

tony_k?
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 6:32:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:10:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't
View Quote

Agreed.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:32:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Many times the staking is deep in to the tube which makes it difficult to turn the lock ring. May scratch the lower or even worth break it.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 12:28:15 AM EDT
[#4]
The other issue to consider in going the LMG upper route is the impact of the open bolt kit on the receiver.  While it is an ingenious design and testament to the versatility of the platform, it changes the stresses on the receiver and pins as it catches the open bolt between bursts -- not sure Eugene Stoner would bless the idea.  I don't think the civilian market has enough experience to say for sure it is a potential problem like the 9mm conversions, but I would want to consult a few experts before I spent the money and risked changing the stock setup.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 5:40:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 2:03:27 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

The other issue to consider in going the LMG upper route is the impact of the open bolt kit on the receiver.  While it is an ingenious design and testament to the versatility of the platform, it changes the stresses on the receiver and pins as it catches the open bolt between bursts -- not sure Eugene Stoner would bless the idea.  I don't think the civilian market has enough experience to say for sure it is a potential problem like the 9mm conversions, but I would want to consult a few experts before I spent the money and risked changing the stock setup.
View Quote
Two LMG guns with a total of over 60K rnds with no issues on wear so far. Its an internet myth built on speculation.

Link Posted: 3/7/2015 7:50:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Two LMG guns with a total of over 60K rnds with no issues on wear so far. Its an internet myth built on speculation.

http://home.comcast.net/~sfischer397/m16a2oblmg/m16a2oblmgpics/LSW3.jpg  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://home.comcast.net/~sfischer397/m16a2oblmg/m16a2oblmgpics/LSW3.jpg  

I really wish we could get this upper easily. I would buy a few.
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top