Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2015 8:13:47 PM EDT
Do you shoot it in you're registered gun?
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 10:16:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Do you shoot it in you're registered gun?
View Quote

If your referring to wolf or Tula yea I shoot the hell out of it
My hk33k loves it as does my m16
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 11:17:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Some say they do others say they would never risk it, personally i can buy m193 for a few cents more than steel case ammo and then can reload the brass cases for less than steel ammo so it makes sense.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 11:42:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Will only use in a pinch.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 6:33:36 AM EDT
[#4]
I sure do. Tula included.

The only ammo I ever had a problem with was brass-cased Aguila .45ACP in a Mark 23. It KB'd and cracked the frame in the magwell. The crack was so small I didn't find it until the next day. The rest of the pistol was fine. Centurion Ordnance (importer of Aguila) replaced my HK with a new one, free of charge. Outstanding customer service!
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 2:24:14 PM EDT
[#5]
YUP!  It looks like this and this
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 9:23:20 PM EDT
[#6]
I shoot it out of all my MG's. My MP5 doesn't really care for it, but everything else eats it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 4:11:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Since I reload, no. I also save military crimped brass to sell during panics, so between the value the brass gives me and the peace of mind using copper jacketed ammo gives me, I see no need to use Steel cased and bimetal jacketed ammo.

I also chrono'd some Tula and it was all over the place in velocities, compared to my military spec ammo and even my reloads. Sold all 700 rounds I had during the last panic for stupid money...  
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:16:06 PM EDT
[#8]
I have fired several thousand rounds of steel cased 5.56, 7.62x39, 7.62x51 and 9mm through my MG's without any trouble. Sure I prefer brass for reloading, but if I can't recover my cases still will work just fine.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:31:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Yuup, 70% brass 30% steel. Bought Tula buy the case when brass was hard to find. Back to buying brass M193 again. Steel worked fine. I had no fears of harming lower.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:06:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:13:26 PM EDT
[#11]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

My Colt M16 has never seen a steel case. I'm the second owner -- the first was an LE agency -- so I'm confident of that.

When I bought it in '94, it was a $2k gun, so I ran a lot of the then-common-and-cheap brass-cased South African milsurp ammo.

By Y2K it has become a $5k gun, so I switched exclusively to Federal and IMI. Every few years I'll find it on sale for cheap and buy 10 cases or so. By now, I've put way more than 50,000 rounds through it, and have never broken a single part. How long do extractors last with steel ammo?

I run pretty much anything through my Uzi, because it's indestructible. Worst-case would be a bulged barrel, and I've got lots of spares.

A few years ago at the Hernando MG shoot, the shooter to my immediate left was doing mag dumps through his M16, so I had stepped back two or three feet to wait until the rain of brass subsided. So I was watching him when there was a tremendous "CLANG!" and his upper receiver disintegrated, blowing the mag out, too. He was shooting reloads (don't know if he loaded them himself or bought them).

Fortunately, no people were hurt. Can't say the same for his M16, though: The upper was in pieces; the magwell had suddenly become about 1/4" wider.

There's a thread here now about "who insures MGs for damage during shooting?" and of course, the answer is no one.

If a bad batch of ammo blows up your $25k gun, and an expert forensics guy has proof, Federal or IMI are going to replace it, or settle a lawsuit. Both have significant assets in the U.S.

Try getting Wolf or Tula to replace your $25k transferable.

I don't run retreads on my Camaro SS, even though the way I go through tires it would save a lot of $$$. But like my M16, I just won't risk it.

You Mileage May Vary.
View Quote

I would hope a bulged mag well could be repaired, I would hate to see a transferable disappear.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:29:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
. He was shooting reloads (don't know if he loaded them himself or bought them).

View Quote

Although I do not take my M16 out of the safe often, at one time it was something I took as a 'party favor' to local shoots.  I would let anyone shoot it if they had their own ammo.

After reading one too many KB threads here, I only allowed steel cased ammo to be used.

Why?

No chance of it being a hot reload.

I keep scanning KB threads looking for a Wolf round that KB'd a lower.  I haven't found one yet.

I'll keep running steel cased only in the M16 for that peace of mind.

Even a factory round can be overloaded, fire out of battery, etc.  I just don't trust a 17-18k gun to take the risk of litigation, ATF, monetary loss, time, etc.

But, once 5.56 hit .35 per round and a 30 round magazine was over 10bucks in ammo ... I really quit blasting mags any more.

TRG
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 3:31:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 3:36:47 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

It got fixed, and last I heard or saw, it was still shootin' away.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I would hope a bulged mag well could be repaired, I would hate to see a transferable disappear.

It got fixed, and last I heard or saw, it was still shootin' away.

That's good to hear.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 6:50:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
My Colt M16 has never seen a steel case. I'm the second owner -- the first was an LE agency -- so I'm confident of that.

When I bought it in '94, it was a $2k gun, so I ran a lot of the then-common-and-cheap brass-cased South African milsurp ammo.

By Y2K it has become a $5k gun, so I switched exclusively to Federal and IMI. Every few years I'll find it on sale for cheap and buy 10 cases or so. By now, I've put way more than 50,000 rounds through it, and have never broken a single part. How long do extractors last with steel ammo?

I run pretty much anything through my Uzi, because it's indestructible. Worst-case would be a bulged barrel, and I've got lots of spares.

A few years ago at the Hernando MG shoot, the shooter to my immediate left was doing mag dumps through his M16, so I had stepped back two or three feet to wait until the rain of brass subsided. So I was watching him when there was a tremendous "CLANG!" and his upper receiver disintegrated, blowing the mag out, too. He was shooting reloads (don't know if he loaded them himself or bought them).

Fortunately, no people were hurt. Can't say the same for his M16, though: The upper was in pieces; the magwell had suddenly become about 1/4" wider.

There's a thread here now about "who insures MGs for damage during shooting?" and of course, the answer is no one.

If a bad batch of ammo blows up your $25k gun, and an expert forensics guy has proof, Federal or IMI are going to replace it, or settle a lawsuit. Both have significant assets in the U.S.

I don't run retreads on my Camaro SS, even though the way I go through tires it would save a lot of $$$. But like my M16, I just won't risk it.

You Mileage May Vary.
View Quote

I'm the exact same way.  All my ammo is either Lake City or IMI if it has the available calibers.  Obviously in my transferable AK and other guns that don't take NATO rounds, I have to shoot steel Russian stuff, or PRVI brass.
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top