Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Posted: 1/29/2015 10:24:10 AM EDT
So I'm currently looking for a RR and am not sure if I'll get a colt or non colt. If I end up with a non colt I know I'll send it out to bring it to mil spec and then re anodize, but I'm looking at a colt M16 lower that is decently priced not bad shape but a few nicks here and there. Does refinishing it bring the value down? What about just re coating over the factory finish like duracoat cerakote or Us anodizing does extreme coat. Or just leave it alone. Thoughts?
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:45:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So I'm currently looking for a RR and am not sure if I'll get a colt or non colt. If I end up with a non colt I know I'll send it out to bring it to mil spec and then re anodize, but I'm looking at a colt M16 lower that is decently priced not bad shape but a few nicks here and there. Does refinishing it bring the value down? What about just re coating over the factory finish like duracoat cerakote or Us anodizing does extreme coat. Or just leave it alone. Thoughts?
View Quote

Refinishing a Colt RR will hurt the value (or so im told), which is why i went with a non-colt RR instead (that and i couldn't afford a colt ) On the flip side non-colt RR usually are more desirable if they have been repaired to be in spec and refinished.

Despite the popularity of FDE and other camo colors and the durability associated with some finishes like cerakote most people still prefer the old school hard coat anodized finish.

As someone who is currently dealing with a out of spec non-colt lower i would recommend the colt route if you can afford it. If youre looking to save some money, non-colts are fine if you take the time to have all of their issues worked out, just a hassle plus additional cost, prob $500-1000 to have it worked on by a gunsmith and reanodized so factor that into your cost when buying the rifle.

Also, dont trust the dealer, i was told mine was in mint condition barely fired and no alignment issues. it def has alignment issues with mil spec uppers, the finish is worn, lots of small dents and scratches and of course its been shot a lot. When i tore it down i found mangled buffer spring and the end cap of the buffer came off and the weights in the buffer came out and had turned to dust in the buffer tube.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 2:40:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Wow I guess you didn't use that dealer again haha.

Planning to look at any potential gun in person so hopefully won't run into that problem.
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top