Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Site Notices
Posted: 1/25/2015 5:21:30 PM EDT
I have a Colt M-16, I built a couple 7.62x39 uppers for it, they run fine, but it has a noticeable increase in recoil.
I run a H2 buffer, KNS pins, in a adjustable / collapsible stock.

Am I taking a chance on damage to my Colt receiver?
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 7:23:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Is the recoil bottoming out against the stock?  The x39 round is naturally more potent so if it's just at the muzzle then not an issue.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 3:38:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 7:58:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Since the velocity of the bolt/carrier is a function of the gas pressure in the bore, not the size/weight/velocity of the bullet, I have no problem using my lower with other calibers up to and including .458 SOCOM.  As long as the upper is gassed properly, the action will operate just like a .223- the gas in the bolt carrier making thing go doesn't care what caliber generated it.

The extra recoil you feel at the shoulder is generated before the bolt even unlocks, so it has nothing to do with any possible extra wear on your hammer or trigger pins and if your upper fits the lower properly, the recoil energy is transmitted straight back into your shoulder.  If it's not strong enough to injure your shoulder, it won't hurt your receiver.  An upper that fits the lower poorly could put extra force on the takedown pins.

Where you have to watch out is the 9mms.  The action has now gone from gas operation to straight unlocked blowback and things can get violent in there.  The AR-15 design was never intended for that and there's just not enough room in there for a suitably heavy bolt.

Just my opinion, YMMV, etc.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:52:32 AM EDT
[#4]
I've put over 8k round of 7.62x39 thru my favorite lower w/o problems.  It was great when I could get it at $89/k but now 223 is the cheapest to shoot.  You may want to look into a Smith brake as it seemed to tame the recoil better.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:22:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:I don't run my Colt M16A1 in any caliber other than 5.56, and done so haven't for the last few years. I've just seen too many enlarged pin holes to be comfortable doing so.

YMMV.
View Quote

What about with a Group Ind M16A1? Steel receiver = 7.62x39 GTG?
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 9:45:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Just buy a ak47! You would have to use a extra power spring on the hammer.just my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 5:18:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:58:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:Shouldn't be any problem at all with a steel receiver.
View Quote

Ok cool. Gonna try a PWS MK107 7.75" 7.62x39 upper with it suppressed and unsuppressed. 10.5" 9mm upper too. Anyone know whether Geissele SSF pins are mild steel or something harder?
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top