Page Armory » M-16
Posted: 1/19/2015 2:16:51 AM EDT
Was wondering if this is a  good substitute to re anodizing
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:16:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Why not just reanodize?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:28:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Cheaper and less risk of messing up the RR, plus if the anodizing is decent this is just an extra layer of protection and will make it look like new from the pics I have seen
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 9:46:51 AM EDT
[#3]
I have same question as OP.  Will stay tuned to see if anyone has actual experience getting a RR with decent factory anodizing Xtremecoated.  Specifically, does the color match modern black uppers and is it durable?

When I see new modern black lowers, is that anodizing ONLY or is there always some sort of xtremecoat-like coating to make it black?  I assume its ONLY anodizing.  

Seems that Xtremecoating is glorified paint that will ultimately chip and flake.  
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 10:09:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have same question as OP.  Will stay tuned to see if anyone has actual experience getting a RR with decent factory anodizing Xtremecoated.  Specifically, does the color match modern black uppers and is it durable?

When I see new modern black lowers, is that anodizing ONLY or is there always some sort of xtremecoat-like coating to make it black?  I assume its ONLY anodizing.  

Seems that Xtremecoating is glorified paint that will ultimately chip and flake.  
View Quote

Im not familiar with xtremecoating, but for cerakote they basically sand blast off the anodizing before they paint it.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 10:17:22 AM EDT
[#5]
I ended up buying a colt so I think I'm gonna stick with the original finish for now.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 11:29:42 AM EDT
[#6]
oh man, blasting off the anodizing seems like a really bad idea.  Factory anodizing is fairly hard and porous enough to allow any sort of coating to bond really well.

I think the only reason to remove old anodizing is when you need to re-anodize.  But I am trying to understand how all this works so I can be comfortable with my decision before sending a $$$$$ lower out and have it permanently changed.

Getting ahead of myself, but when it comes to shipping, I'm scared to death to ship a transferable lower.  Which shipping method is preferred?
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 1:07:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Which shipping method is preferred?
View Quote

Registered mail fully insured!
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 1:31:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I ended up buying a colt so I think I'm gonna stick with the original finish for now.
View Quote

Stick with the original finish FOREVER.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 9:34:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Which shipping method is preferred?

Shouldn't cost more than $50 to ship via USPS one way.
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top