Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Posted: 12/2/2014 11:43:18 PM EDT
I have a colt lower that is full auto. This is a department owned weapon. It has a 10.5 radical firearms upper on it. The gun cycles fine on semi auto but will not cycle on full auto. I had a carbine buffer in it and thought that was the problem so I put a h2 buffer in it and thought that would fix the cycling issue. But it is still only firing one round. Any ideas what the issue is?
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 3:53:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Is the bolt carrier AR-15 or M16 cut?
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 4:04:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Is the bolt carrier AR-15 or M16 cut?
View Quote

This.  Also, does it have all of the correct FCG parts for select fire?  I personally know of a few agencies who modified their issue M16's so they couldn't be fired on Auto.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 4:05:11 AM EDT
[#3]
My guess. one of these issues or  combo:
wrong (semi auto) carrier
sear problem
trigger/hammer/disconector not for full auto
Many LE full autos have been converted to semi only
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 4:11:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Does it fire full auto with it's original upper?
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 7:01:58 AM EDT
[#5]
The bolt carrier is the one out of the m16. And yes it fired full auto prior to putting a new upper on it.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 7:57:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Does it look like one on the left?

Link Posted: 12/2/2014 1:10:31 PM EDT
[#7]
You mean a department that owns full auto weapons has no weapons  tech.          pic of firing pin
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 1:51:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The bolt carrier is the one out of the m16. And yes it fired full auto prior to putting a new upper on it.
View Quote

Sounds to me like the gas port may be too small or the gas block is not aligned perfectly causing it to short stroke. Who built the upper?
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 2:17:49 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

View Quote

Sounds to me like the gas port may be too small or the gas block is not aligned perfectly causing it to short stroke. Who built the upper?
View Quote
I disagree, he stated it cycles fine on semi-auto, which would indicate it's not a short stroke issue.  It's still probably worth asking if it locks open on the last round though.

Link Posted: 12/2/2014 2:34:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Your dept bought uppers from Radical Firearms? How odd.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 3:16:46 PM EDT
[#11]
It looks like the pic on the right. And yes it locks back on the last round.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 3:27:07 PM EDT
[#12]
you should check the gas port size. stock uppers are not always gassed to run full auto. even if it locks back and cycle fine and semi, it can choke on full auto.

the fact that it cycles on semi indicates that there should not be an issue with any of the parts as long as it is a m16 profile carrier and select fire parts kit.
if it is carbine length upper with a 10-12 inch barrel it should be gassed in the mid to uppers .070s
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 3:32:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Many departments have gotten m16a1's from the fed's for free and replaced the uppers and buttstocks to create their own budget carbines.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 4:25:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Is the sear releasing the hammer or does it fire in "semi" when it is supposed to be on auto?  If the hammer is released, it could be that the bolt is bouncing and a new buffer/spring combo is in order.  Get it, unload it, and hold the trigger while cycling by hand (don't worry about completely releasing the CH as if you were actually loading a live round... more like you were clearing the rifle) to see if it functions in auto.  If it does function like that I would bet on bolt bounce but if it doesn't, it might be something where the BCG engages the sear (In this case, I would try a new carrier maybe but I have never seen that happen in my limited experience).  I'm not the autoweapons master around here but this is the best check based on my experience.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 4:56:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Chances are, the LPK is a semi only kit. Same deal with our Dept (DHS) M4s; they were "hand-me-downs"  from the BP and the full auto innards (a simple roll pin replaces the sear pin) were removed and semi innards installed, along with tan painted selectors to tell the Firearms guys which ones have the "Fun Switches" and which ones don't.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 5:12:19 PM EDT
[#16]
I should've done a better job at describing everything. It functions fine on semi as stated before. On full auto sometimes it will fire two rounds before not firing again. Most of the time it fires one shot on full auto and it will chamber another round but not go into battery. I then have to eject the round and chamber another one.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 5:15:16 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I should've done a better job at describing everything. It functions fine on semi as stated before. On full auto sometimes it will fire two rounds before not firing again. Most of the time it fires one shot on full auto and it will chamber another round but not go into battery. I then have to eject the round and chamber another one.
View Quote
Check your mainspring. Do you have a spare carbine spring to swap it with?  Make sure it is well lubed, sometimes new bolts and receiver extensions are tight and need a little break in.

It seems odd that your only experiencing the problem on full auto.

Link Posted: 12/2/2014 5:31:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Chances are, the LPK is a semi only kit. Same deal with our Dept (DHS) M4s; they were "hand-me-downs"  from the BP and the full auto innards (a simple roll pin replaces the sear pin) were removed and semi innards installed, along with tan painted selectors to tell the Firearms guys which ones have the "Fun Switches" and which ones don't.
View Quote

It has functioned on auto previously... from my understanding, no lower parts have been switched... just the upper.

Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote
Check your mainspring. Do you have a spare carbine spring to swap it with?  Make sure it is well lubed, sometimes new bolts and receiver extensions are tight and need a little break in.

It seems odd that your only experiencing the problem on full auto.

View Quote

This is why bolt bounce came to mind.  A worn out or underpowered spring could easily be the culprit.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 5:36:57 PM EDT
[#19]
An H2 should have corrected bolt bounce.  I wish I could take it to the range, problems are easier to diagnose when your on the range with your box of spare parts.        

Link Posted: 12/2/2014 5:49:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
An H2 should have corrected bolt bounce.  I wish I could take it to the range, problems are easier to diagnose when your on the range with your box of spare parts.          
View Quote

I agree... i would have thought that would help out too.  I agree that the spring is the next thing to look at.  The sear seems to be working fine since it looks like he is having to recharge the rifle to fire it, and if it wasn't catching at all I think he would likely have had it kinda runaway on him by now.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 10:10:56 PM EDT
[#21]
is it chambering the next round and not firing, or not picking up the second round at all?
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 12:36:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Is it possible you might of accidently put a rifle spring into a carbine extension?
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 4:57:26 AM EDT
[#23]
It is picking up the next round. And I wish some who knew more than me, could take it to the range. That would really help. I have several AR's I guess I will change the spring out and see if that is the problem.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 8:38:44 AM EDT
[#24]
if it is closing on the next round and going click you're more than likely looking at bolt bounce. if you already have an H2 buffer in there, check your spring and try again.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 6:41:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Agreed.  If it's chambering the next round, it's not a short stroke or a gas issue.  Sounds like bolt bounce, though you're right, I would have expected the h2 to correct it.  And if it's functioning well in semi, that strengthens that position.

Best to get it to a range and tinker with it.
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top