Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2014 7:57:52 PM EDT
I've got several CMMG .22lr uppers that I want to run with a M16 RR lower. The only thing I need, is the CMMG trip and anti bolt bounce kit for 49.00-ish?  From the instructions it should be just plug/play?  What issues could I expect?  Will bulk pack Federal run in this set up?
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 10:21:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Mine required some tuning of the springs before it ran well.  I had to trim the springs and test and repeat until it would run without jamming.  Not hard just time consuming.  I can run pretty much any .22 ammo including the Federal bulk now without many failures.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 10:31:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mine required some tuning of the springs before it ran well.  I had to trim the springs and test and repeat until it would run without jamming.  Not hard just time consuming.  I can run pretty much any .22 ammo including the Federal bulk now without many failures.
View Quote

Confirming that you trimmed the spring in the CMMG drop in .22lr adapter, correct?
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 10:39:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Right now I'm using a CMMG slide in conversion unit, not dedicated upper.  To install the weight on the unit I have, I had to cut the tab off the rear of the weight.  I have trouble with Rem Golden ammo, especially when the unit starts to get dirty.  Other ammo seems to be okay.

Best of luck.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 10:39:30 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Confirming that you trimmed the spring in the CMMG drop in .22lr adapter, correct?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Correct.  My setup is a little different.  I use a 5.56 upper and Spike's bolt with the CMMG trip and anti bounce weight.

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:48:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:53:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I have 2 uppers:

Upper 1 has a regular cut down barrel, with a cmmg drop in with the chamber adapter.

Upper 2 is a complete 16" cmmg upper with a cmmg bolt with the barrel collar.

Should I expect one to run better than the other or is it just hit/miss?
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:55:44 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I have 2 uppers:

Upper 1 has a regular cut down barrel, with a cmmg drop in with the chamber adapter.

View Quote
I don't think one is better than the other, you will just need to tune each to run properly in FA.  From my experience .22 and FA is a finicky thing and you just have to take the time to play around with them until you find the happy spot.

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:57:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I don't think one is better than the other, you will just need to tune each to run properly in FA.  From my experience .22 and FA is a finicky thing and you just have to take the time to play around with them until you find the happy spot.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have 2 uppers:

Any idea How many coils did you start cutting off before trying it again, 2 coils? 4 coils?
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 12:00:50 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Any idea How many coils did you start cutting off before trying it again, 2 coils? 4 coils?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have 2 uppers:

I started with 2 or 3 and once I got it where I thought I was getting it dialed in, and started snipping 1 or a half at a time.  I don't know if this is the best or fastest method, but I didn't want to cut too much.

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 12:08:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I started with 2 or 3 and once I got it where I thought I was getting it dialed in, and started snipping 1 or a half at a time.  I don't know if this is the best or fastest method, but I didn't want to cut too much.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have 2 uppers:

Many thanks!
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 9:10:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Mine was plug and play until I cut the barrel to 4.5". Once cut, I started getting occasional hammer reset issues on the first round.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 7:23:31 PM EDT
[#12]
My cmmg 22 upper runs 100% now. It took a lot of work but it is the most fun toy I own. When I got the upper it would not even shoot in semi auto. Get the spring kit from blackdog machine. It is now a 4.5 inch barrel with spectre ii. The can sticks out may be 1 inch past my troy carbine length rail.

http://blackdogmachinellc.net/ciener-lakeside-spring-kit.aspx

I also bought a rubber plug and firing pin from Taccom

http://www.taccom3g.com/rifle-components.html

Mine kit will run almost any ammo. I mainly run winchester dynapoints.

Get a better mag kit so you can use S&W magazines. They are so much better than the black dog mags and you can get a 50 round drum.

Seriously if I can get one to run anybody can. I was lucky that I had a colt m16a1 upper to use as a lower.

If you will pm me your email I can send you a detailed list of what I did to get it to run.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:11:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Before I drop $200 on a drum adapter would like to see if people have used them and they work.

http://bazookabrothers.com/pages/shop/7?category=3

And the drums.
 https://elmfg.com/am180/accessor/drumlexan.html

Then add winder and heard the loading tray is a must. So you are going to be $450 to get setup and $75-125 for each additional drum.

But 275 rounds of full auto sounds like fun.

I have a few BD 50 round drums but would love to try this out.

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=15&t=577419
Here is a archive on this topic
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:11:39 AM EDT
[#14]
what is the spring trimming and troubleshooting process?  when do you know if you need to trim more springs or if springs are the issue in the first place?

mine runs 100% in semi auto and about 50% in full auto. - CMMG dedicated upper with all CMMG parts and a SW15-22 mag adapter.

I think the plug idea might make sense because the bolt could slide back a bit and cause malfunctions in full auto, which won't happen in semi auto, as it has time to slide forward.  But I thought the buffer already was pushing the 22 bolt forward.  if thats the case, I fail to see how a plug would help
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:44:46 AM EDT
[#15]
I have a 22LR upper I put together myself.  It ran well the first 3K-4K rounds.  Then developed a bur on the anti bounce weight.  I really haven't used it in about 2 years.

Here are some ideas for an upgrades, I haven't bought them myself yet but this is what I have been looking into.
http://www.taccom3g.com/22rf-reliability-kit.html
and
http://www.carlsoncompsinc.com/22Thruster.htm
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:46:48 AM EDT
[#16]
I don't need the plug for mine to work, and yes, it's the best toy I have.

as far as where to start, list what your problems are and address them one by one... in my case, after purchasing the bolt bounce weight and playing with different springs, I finally figured mine out:

I weakened the hammer spring by adding 15 degree bends and using jp red springs (this is a dedicated lower and cant in good conscience use it on a 223), I cant use Remington golden bullets or metal hollowpoints i.e. it eats lead head bullets the best, I removed the bolt bounce weight all together and am using the stronget spring I can find and honestly forget the brand because my buddy had it when he gave up (I bought all his shit) and can say it was longer and more pressure than the taccom spring by a couple inches even

so persistence, testing multiple methods, and addressing failures when they arise is the best method imho. it is very challenging but it is worth it in the end. good luck
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:49:37 AM EDT
[#17]
oh to add the best running 22 upper I had was working great, but when I went to shoot some 223/5.56 on a different upper was getting light primer strikes.  Turned out had a broken hammer spring, the one tail was gone.  No wonder it worked so well with the 22LR upper LOL
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 4:16:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Just remember, what works for one person probably won't work for you.  The 22 kits are the most finicky accessory you can get for an M16.

I've fought with my stainless CMMG kit for ~5 years, and I fought with a Ceiner kit for ~10 years before that.

Lack of consistency is my biggest problem with it.  I've had mine work well (~95%) at times, but then the simplest change will make it stop working.... or even no change at all.  The last time I took it out I couldn't even get it to cycle in semi reliably.

I've had the contact points on a hammer & autosear fitted, used a weak 22 hammer spring, tried both ceiner and cmmg trip/anti-bounce weights, switched to a slick-side upper to prevent bounce-weight hangups in the forward assist, and played with a metaphoric truckload of different spring lengths, all without (consistent) success.  I've also tried it with my RDIAS and haven't had any better luck than I did with my registered receiver.

For me, ammo doesn't seem to make any difference.  Brands don't matter, nor does the bullet profile - round nose, hollow point, or those funky Remington truncated tips.  Even CCI Mini Mags can't make it run consistently.

The best I can say is "Good Luck", because for me it never worked out.

Here's a pic anyway... it's still useful for that I suppose.

-bob

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 2:50:31 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a 16" cmmg upper and a 4.5" cmmg upper with a sparrow. It took some polishing and a few tweeks like a taccom extractor but they both work very well now. Well, at least they did because I just installed an SSF trigger so I'm hoping I didn't throw a monkey wrench into the works. They are the most fun and the rate of fire is like a lead hose! Bob
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top