Page Armory » M-16
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 12:41:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm considering M60Joe for small pin conversion on my SP1 as well as filling in and re-engraving Safe/Semi/Auto.  

My original finish is nearly perfect and the lower functions fine.  My changes are simply a 'want' and not a 'need'.

My dilemma is how to finish the lower.  I'm cautious of the moly coating that M60Joe applies.  I don't want it to chip off and end up causing more problems than I'm solving.

Anyone have first hand experience with the airburshed moly coating m60joe provides?
View Quote

Just send it to US Anodizing. Thats where mine is right now and as you can see in this thread the OPs RR came back looking perfecrt.

BTW US Anodizing also can do gunsmithing as well although they dont advertise it on their website. I will post before and after pictures pictures once i get it back.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 9:32:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'm considering M60Joe for small pin conversion on my SP1 as well as filling in and re-engraving Safe/Semi/Auto.  

My original finish is nearly perfect and the lower functions fine.  My changes are simply a 'want' and not a 'need'.

My dilemma is how to finish the lower.  I'm cautious of the moly coating that M60Joe applies.  I don't want it to chip off and end up causing more problems than I'm solving.

Anyone have first hand experience with the airburshed moly coating m60joe provides?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I had a lower done in Norrell's Colt gray molycoat. The color is spot on, but it does not replicate anodizing. I would also not want my anodizing removed and only have molycoat as the finish, as the anodizing gives surface hardness.

Can he not install the bushings and not refinish? If I were to refinish a RR sp1, I would want it anodized as this would treat the sear pin hole that would currently lack anodizing.

Quoted:

Just send it to US Anodizing. Thats where mine is right now and as you can see in this thread the OPs RR came back looking perfecrt.

BTW US Anodizing also can do gunsmithing as well although they dont advertise it on their website. I will post before and after pictures pictures once i get it back.

This. Victor is an artist. But I don't think he does the SP1 front pin conversion. And if that conversion is done, you likely cannot re anodize your lower without removing the bushings.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 10:07:55 PM EDT
[#3]
To answer some e-mails....

Repaired or converted receivers can be anodized after aluminum plugs are inserted, pinned, and machined.

Air brushed moly coating goes over anodizing.  It is very thin and doesn't chip. The anodizing is never removed.
http://johnnorrellarms.com/molyresin_about.asp

After cast or welded or repaired with the wrong aluminum alloy - receivers come back from anodizing, they usually have to get moly coated because the color isn't correct.

Link Posted: 2/17/2015 10:27:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank you for posting, M60Joe! Great info. I take it the pin retaining the bushing is aluminum if it can be anodized after installation. I always assumed it was steel.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top