Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2014 1:37:36 AM EDT
After a 16 month wait I finally got that long awaited email saying that my Form4's had arrived. I will soon be the lawful owner of a RPB Mac-10/9 and a Sendra/Bushmaster M-16, plus a GemTech Halo, and Viper. I acquired both July 4th 2013. The M-16 came from Ruben and I also picked up a Shrike from him. The Mac was a winning bid on GB from Frank.
    The M-16 is coming with a short upper. Having only test fired it once and not being polished you guys can probably tell the length better than I can from the pic the dealer sent when he received it.
So I have the Shrike and a Can and a couple of other standard uppers.(Colt & Bushmaster) Can Y'all suggest some other fun uppers (length & caliber) I have read that 9MM & 22LR can be a little hard on the receiver??? I do have 6000 rnds that I got a good deal on. I guess I will go with some KNS pins, New Trigger ???? Suggestions. I have a Magpul UBR collapsible Stock. It allows the cheek weld to remain while just the but moves.

I have shot a M-16 quite a bit so I am somewhat familiar with the platform but I have no experience at all with a suppressor except for the few mags that I got to test fire at the dealers. Any do do's or don't do's? Helpful Hints? I know you need to make sure it's secure and the bores alined.

I must be psychotic since I ordered 1000 rds. each of 223 & 9mm last night. Hopefully it will arrive by Saturday. Probably go pickup the Toys Friday the dealer is about 2 hrs away.  Think he works away form home durning the week or I would be headed that way tomorrow.

Thanks in advance for comments or suggestions.

TG

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etICYNLgOj0[/youtube]
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 7:06:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Very nice! Looks like 10" to me. I can't tell if it has a crush washer, but they are a no-go for a Halo. Peel washers only.

I like 11.5" in 5.56, and currently have a LW-barrel Commando clone. I also plan to build a MK18 Mod 1 clone, for no real reason.

9mm can be hard on lowers, especially if your hammer pin cracks in the middle. Google "9mm ramped bolt" and read all about it. The KNS pins are a good idea for that, but a ramped bolt is more important.

I've not heard of 22LR being hard on a lower in any way. It can be difficult to get/keep them running in auto, but usually RR setups are the easiest to tune. You generally have to experiment with spring weights/lengths/tension, and adjust any anti-bounce friction piece(s) your kit may have. Once it's tuned, it's usually just for that specific ammo. CCI mini-mags function the best in my experience, though obviously not the cheapest.

As far as stance and recoil, none of those setups have any recoil really. I like to groucho walk aka duck walk, cuz I'm tacticool like that.

Be sure your mags are clean. They may be now, but won't stay that way from suppressed 5.56 shooting. You'll have to clean, well, everything more frequently. I'd get a piston setup if I actually had the time/money to shoot a lot. I was eyeballing a Sig 516 upper. "Da $" would buy a HK416 upper and swap for Geissele rail to be like Delta.

Go ahead and get that improved feed tray for your Shrike, if you haven't already.

When you add a can, it increases the cyclic rate. You will have to tune to get it cycling/running just right using different weight buffers and possibly springs. I like to use standard OEM components whenever practical, especially on consumables such as springs. You'll want to ensure it runs like a top suppressed and not, unless you only plan to do 1. (Many do.)

Swapping caliber uppers will mean a buffer swap usually.

The sky's pretty much the limit...

Don't ever get a 4-position burst kit. You'll want your money back.

Enjoy!

Link Posted: 10/16/2014 9:07:52 AM EDT
[#2]
My 10.3" suppressed MK18 upper is whats on my M16 95% of the time at the range and 100% of the time in storage. The only other upper i have is 16" so my selection is kind of limited, would like to get a shrike but i blew my budget on the MG

If you go with a Geissele trigger there is no need for KNS pins, at least thats what they claim. I bought the SSF and it is of very high quality. I think the KNS pins are more intended for those using a standard mil spec trigger, which are terrible compared to any match trigger.

On a similar topic, when i inspected my rifle i noticed right away that the rifle had been thrown together just for the sale. It was built out of a lot of mismatched, no name, very worn and low quality parts, so i stripped the lower and completely rebuilt it from the ground up with all brand new parts from BCM, DD, Noveske, Magpul and Geissele. Didnt make sense to run trash second hand parts in a gun worth more than some peoples yearly salaries.

Gemtech is a top end suppressor manufacturer, my direct thread GMT 556 LE is great. Ive never tried the halo but im sure its just as good. Im sure youve already noticed suppressors will get very hot very quick especially in full auto, i have melted a few pair of tactical gloves so do yourself a favor and buy a very nice oven mitt for removing it. I do recommend getting a better charging handle, something that has a lip/ridge on the back of it to block gas and gun powder from blowing into your face which happens with the standard mil spec charging handle, i went with a BCM ambi charging handle.

The stock is all personal preference, i went with magpul ctr.

No clue about 9mm never tried it.
.22 lr is fun and can be much safer for new and young shooters who are not ready/capable of handling a full auto firearm that produces more recoil than most people think.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 12:01:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 12:09:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 1:06:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I still use gas busters in all my guns. does this BMC work as well as the Gas Buster?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I do recommend getting a better charging handle, something that has a lip/ridge on the back of it to block gas and gun powder from blowing into your face which happens with the standard mil spec charging handle, i went with a BCM ambi charging handle.

I still use gas busters in all my guns. does this BMC work as well as the Gas Buster?

I would say they block the gases escaping (or redirect it) from the receiver equally. I went with the BCM as i thought it looked and felt better, i have a BCM upper plus they make a Ambidextrous model (Mod A44) im dont think PRI makes a ambi version. im not left handed but its nice to be able to grasp the charging handle with either hand.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 1:40:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm not aware of a PRI ambi CH.
I have the Gas Buster also. It's better than standard, but doesn't block all the gas. I will RTV seal around it when I find time and see if that helps.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 6:25:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Congrats!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 4:20:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the tips and feed back. I have a Geissele trigger S3G and a BCM L-Charging handle on my Colt 6920, but I think the would be better, I wasn't aware of the gas blocking that they also do. The flash hider that came on the gun was not the bird cage so the dealer swapped it out when I wen't for the test drive and I have several peel washers on hand if I need to reindex it. I don''t like s vertical hand grip so I plan on losing that. I picked up a
AB arms mod 1 hand guard It looks really good and has about a 6" area for griping with about a 4" raised area in front to keep the locked in Plus a top & bottom heat shield that I saw demoed where they shoot till the barrel glowed red with out the guard getting hot at all.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 9:21:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thanks for the tips and feed back. I have a Geissele trigger S3G and a BCM L-Charging handle on my Colt 6920, but I think the would be better, I wasn't aware of the gas blocking that they also do. The flash hider that came on the gun was not the bird cage so the dealer swapped it out when I wen't for the test drive and I have several peel washers on hand if I need to reindex it. I don''t like s vertical hand grip so I plan on losing that. I picked up a
AB arms mod 1 hand guard It looks really good and has about a 6" area for griping with about a 4" raised area in front to keep the locked in Plus a top & bottom heat shield that I saw demoed where they shoot till the barrel glowed red with out the guard getting hot at all.
View Quote

I wasnt going to say anything about your new pride and joy but since you did i feel its free game. That forward pistol grip is about the most ridiculous looking thing ive ever seen!
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 11:00:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Don't ever get a 4-position burst kit. You'll want your money back.

Enjoy!

View Quote

I'm running a Colt 4 way kit and I love it!!  I had to modify the selector switch so it would clear the selector stops but I haven't had any issues with it.

But of course I would stay away from the DPMS/TAPCO etc.. 4 way kit....

Also install the VLTOR A5 buffer system for reliability
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 6:01:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I wasnt going to say anything about your new pride and joy but since you did i feel its free game. That forward pistol grip is about the most ridiculous looking thing ive ever seen!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am telling you. That will be the fist thing to go. 8 or so years ago I had full access to a M16 and it had a grip just like that on it. I put a couple 1000 rounds through it and never touched that thing. I am not much on VFG's but the straight one's look ok. As you said that angled pistol thing is too funky
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 2:18:13 AM EDT
[#12]

I fiinally made to my dealers and brought the babies back home.

]That forward pistol grip is about the most ridiculous looking thing ive ever seen
View Quote

First order of business was to remove that stupid handle.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:22:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Looking good congrats!
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:52:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

First order of business was to remove that stupid handle.
View Quote

LOL thank goodness.
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top