Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2014 2:46:01 PM EDT
Specifically I' looked (am considering) at one marked J-15 converted by Ciener.
Also were EA cast ?
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 3:20:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I believe that EA are the only known cast Transferable M16's.

Some will say that Olympic Arms ones are cast, that is a myth, OA didn't produce their first cast receiver until after 1986.  On top of that they only made a limited few cast semi lowers.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 3:42:42 PM EDT
[#2]
^ THanks.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 8:23:35 AM EDT
[#3]
From my research there arent as many cast m16 lowers as many claim. I think its mostly a rumor/myth that gets spread, its just my guess but i bet it falls into the long list of reasons people come up with why they dont want a M16 and would rather stick with their AR15. Such as the cost of ammo, the scary ATF kicking their door anytime they want, most m16 from that era are cast aluminum and will break, etc...when in all reality its just they cant afford a gun worth more than their car but want to talk big in front of their friends.

It would be like if someone said "i was going to buy a ferarri the other day, i promise! but once i saw the fuel economy i decided it was a deal breaker, oh and it only has one cup holder, wtf man! I guess i will just keep my used chevy instead, its really the better car anyways"

Typically the easiest way to tell if it is cast is by looking for raised letters/markers, this can only be achieved by pouring molten metal into a mold also known as a cast. Lowers with all engraved or stamped letters/marks are forged.

I have seen some of those EA Ciener lowers on GB and they appear to be cast. if you dont plan on shooting it much and will be careful it should be fine and would be a way to save a little cash. I personally didnt go that route on mine but its your call.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 8:56:29 AM EDT
[#4]
I had an EA/RR by Wilson that was cast - paid $4K for it in 2001.

Sent it away and had it refinished.

Had four-way fire-control installed and dedicated it to a Gemtech Hornet 9MM suppressed upper - nice set-up.

Later traded it (along with the upper) and some cash for NIB Vector mini and standard UZI's.

Have a factory Colt M16-A1, so no real loss.

The UZI's (along with a Beretta BM-59) are gone now.

Just have the Colt.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 10:46:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had an EA/RR by Wilson that was cast - paid $4K for it in 2001.

Sent it away and had it refinished.

Had four-way fire-control installed and dedicated it to a Gemtech Hornet 9MM suppressed upper - nice set-up.

Later traded it (along with the upper) and some cash for NIB Vector mini and standard UZI's.

Have a factory Colt M16-A1, so no real loss.

The UZI's (along with a Beretta BM-59) are gone now.

Just have the Colt.
View Quote

Wish i was old enough to own a firearm back when M16s were selling for $4,000
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 8:05:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

if you dont plan on shooting it much and will be careful it should be fine and would be a way to save a little cash. I personally didnt go that route on mine but its your call.
View Quote

I've put tens of thousands of rounds 223, 9mm, and 22lr through my cast EA lower since I bought it in '99.

Cast receivers will wear out faster than forged receivers when shooting in the same way that an iron pipe will wear out faster than a steel pipe when smashing glass windows.

-bob

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 10:25:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I've put tens of thousands of rounds 223, 9mm, and 22lr through my cast EA lower since I bought it in '99.

Cast receivers will wear out faster than forged receivers when shooting in the same way that an iron pipe will wear out faster than a steel pipe when smashing glass windows.

-bob

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

if you dont plan on shooting it much and will be careful it should be fine and would be a way to save a little cash. I personally didnt go that route on mine but its your call.

-bob

Too funny.

Thanks all for the info.
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top