Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2014 5:43:53 PM EDT
My 10.5" PSA upper w/ LL works flawlessly w/ H3 buffer and new hammer spring.
Here's the upper I've on now: http://www.karrisguns.com/catalog/product/8de60d74262549dca917336647a7cd21

However, I purchased a new 7.5" upper and took it out to the range today and also expected same flawless permanence.
Unfortunately, every fire was ended up w/ single fire & light primer strike.
The gunshop employee tried it w/ his 7.5" upper w/ H1 buffer and same light primer strike.

Should I change out the buffer to say...H2 or MGI?
Or perhaps, I need a new (again) hammer spring.
Even my new MP5K clone wasn't running 100% w/ my sear today... bad day

Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 11:52:06 PM EDT
[#1]
You should use a new, different paddle with each upper, as each upper might require different timing and it prevents excess wear on a paddle by swapping it between different uppers. First time a paddle is fired with an upper carrier combo it forms to that combo and use with other uppers can rebend it each time leading to metal fatigue and accelerated failure.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:17:04 AM EDT
[#2]
I will try with a new paddle.
I'm going to take it out today and see what happens...
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 12:29:52 PM EDT
[#3]
i would go with heavier buffer to my link like h3 and up in all my carbine length systems. keep in mind that the sp 1 cut carrier is 1oz lighter then a normal bcg so you have to account for that especially with shorter barrels
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 3:15:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for your advice, Circuits & MMS2!

Unfortunately, I used a new std paddle and still no go.
I was using H3 buffer, new hammer spring and also new std paddle but it seems like the timing isn't right.
It fired perfectly on semi-auto, so I know it's not a gas port problem.

When I half-cocked the gun in full-auto position the trigger is dead or wouldn't reset.
If I also half-cocked the firearm in semi-auto I sense small trigger movement (not sure if that calls a "reset").

What size paddle do I need to get and where to find one?

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 3:23:28 PM EDT
[#5]
are you using modified 3rd burst internals?

to be honest i didnt like how that selector wore on the bottom of my link and since i never used semi i switched back to just plane old ar-15 group.

since then my link has been absoultly reliable... before then i had all kinds of problems
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 3:32:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Hmm... might try that but still like to have semi option.

Yes, I'm using Joe's modified burst group.
For selector marking, I just taped up the center of LL body w/ electrical tape and never see another marking on it.

It still works flawlessly w/ cheap 10.5" PSA upper but not w/ my new 7.5" upper....

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
are you using modified 3rd burst internals?

to be honest i didnt like how that selector wore on the bottom of my link and since i never used semi i switched back to just plane old ar-15 group.

since then my link has been absoultly reliable... before then i had all kinds of problems
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 3:46:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I was using H3 buffer, new hammer spring and also new std paddle but it seems like the timing isn't right.

When I half-cocked the gun in full-auto position the trigger is dead or wouldn't reset.
If I also half-cocked the firearm in semi-auto I sense small trigger movement (not sure if that calls a "reset").

View Quote

I'm not familiar with any half cock positions in an AR FCG, be it auto or semi, so I've got no idea what you're talking about there.

As for the paddles, have you measured the carrier gap on your working upper and on the non-working upper.  If there is a significant difference in the gap, then you'll want a different thickness paddle to adjust for the difference in carrier gap on the uppers.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 3:54:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks Circuits, I will try to measure the gap and go from there.
Any place to order a new paddle w/ specific size?

My apology about my novice description.
I was trying to describe this timing procedure:
With the link in the rifle, hold the trigger back and cock the action, then slowly ride the cocking handle all the way forward/closed.
The hammer should not release. Then while still holding the trigger back, pull the cocking handle back 1/2", then release and let the carrier slam forward.
The hammer should be released.

Quoted:

I'm not familiar with any half cock positions in an AR FCG, be it auto or semi, so I've got no idea what you're talking about there.

As for the paddles, have you measured the carrier gap on your working upper and on the non-working upper.  If there is a significant difference in the gap, then you'll want a different thickness paddle to adjust for the difference in carrier gap on the uppers.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 6:32:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Gap is .027
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 6:47:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Are you using the same  bcg for both uppers?
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 6:52:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Yes, same BCG modified by Joe.
Gap is .025 w/ upper that works flawlessly.

Quoted:
Are you using the same  bcg for both uppers?
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:21:51 PM EDT
[#12]
.027 with the thin paddle should work just fine no functional diffrence then  .025.  

I'm going with bolt bounce try the mgi buffer you mentioned above if you have one... The tell tail sign is that it works fine when on semi that's my 2 cents
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:32:14 PM EDT
[#13]
I've to buy one... it's just damn expensive and no guarantee if it actually works or not.
Hmm... really lost clue on this issue.

Quoted:
.027 with the thin paddle should work just fine no functional diffrence then  .025.  

I'm going with bolt bounce try the mgi buffer you mentioned above if you have one... The tell tail sign is that it works fine when on semi that's my 2 cents
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:49:00 AM EDT
[#14]
if you dont already have one i dont know that i would buy that vs just a 9mm or one of slashes buffers...... im out of ideas sorry
but hammer down and light primer strike to me screams bolt bounce...... expecially sine the fcg works with other uppers just fine.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:26:41 PM EDT
[#15]

Thanks MMS2!
I'm really lost on this issue...
Going to try with new buffer... Thanks for your help bud!

Quoted:
if you dont already have one i dont know that i would buy that vs just a 9mm or one of slashes buffers...... im out of ideas sorry
but hammer down and light primer strike to me screams bolt bounce...... expecially sine the fcg works with other uppers just fine.
View Quote

Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top