Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Posted: 9/3/2014 4:23:21 PM EDT
I purchased my Colt M-16A1 back in 08 and shot maybe 1000 rounds thru it and loved that. I than went to the local gunshow and someone had a new (original Colt) 9mm DOE upper for $750 so of course I snagged that and shot some 9mm for a bit. Came across a post and a fella was selling a Colt 9mm kit less the receiver, I think it's a 10.5" barreled upper. So I ran a few rounds thru that. Came across an adapter allowing me to install my Gemtech can on the 9mm. So that was ok. Than, CMMG came out with there .22lr kit, so I bought that and have shot XYZ rounds and suppressed as well. OK... I thought, till Ruben posted the Gen 5 Ares Shrike back in 2012 sooooo, I grabbed one of those with two extra barrels and now have shot 5000 rounds (happily) thru that.  

On to my question, I'm sure there is a few of you guys in the same boat. How do you make up your mind with these configurations available for your sweet 16? I already had a second 16 but I traded  for a new MM21e and 23e combo.

Help

Link Posted: 9/3/2014 7:06:25 PM EDT
[#1]
My uncle's just stays in the LSW/LMG configuration. I like shooting that configuration the best anyway and its too damn hard to switch out the open bolt parts group and bolt catch for playing with other configurations.

Link Posted: 9/3/2014 7:34:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I own a RR and to solve my issue I bought a RDIAS.

Now I will be able to run multiple types of uppers and configurations.

Link Posted: 9/3/2014 9:18:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 10:41:02 AM EDT
[#4]
I suppose I am fortunate to simply be happy with my M16 configured with a  mk18 mod1 upper. I occasionally use other uppers off of complete rifles (Noveske n4 midlength, KAC sr15 e3mod1, Colt 6933, and Colt 6943), but both of my M16s currently wear mk18 mod1 uppers with sopmod stocks. I've never had the urge to keep a stable of different uppers and have no interest in putting a Shrike on my Colt lowers.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 11:01:00 AM EDT
[#5]
buy more RR lowers for you uppers than....
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 12:27:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I like Tony's idea about the Mk18 Mod1... I have kept mine in this config. for the last 2 years:

Hard to carry to the range.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 12:45:00 PM EDT
[#7]
My M16 stays stored with a MK18 upper and thread of suppressor, its compact, light weight, quiet and can be used for home defense if ever needed. I actually dont own any other uppers for it and dont plan to buy any at the moment.

But the wonderful thing about the M16 is its modularity, just push two pins and youve got yourself a full auto .22lr upper for plinking steel targets in the back yard, or if funds ever were there a Shrike would be a fun toy to take to the range and be and attention whore for a couple hours
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:04:49 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm tempted to go with something in a retro carbine, or even back to 20" A1 configuration. My "throw everything in the 'tactical' catalog" configuration is just too much fun to shoot. Between the A5 recoil system, 11.5" barrel, suppressor, and Geissele SSF, I couldn't be happier.

It doesn't get used as often as I'd like, but I'm not afraid to take it out of the safe.

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 6:55:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Step up and join the big boys.  Get a .458 SOCOM upper and start doing mag dumps with that.

Then sit down and try to figure out which is more painful- your shoulder or your wallet!
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 2:05:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Step up and join the big boys.  Get a .458 SOCOM upper and start doing mag dumps with that.

Then sit down and try to figure out which is more painful- your shoulder or your wallet!
View Quote

Someone needs to adapt a c-mag or other drum - 10rd dumps aren't all that impressive
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 2:09:35 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Someone needs to adapt a c-mag or other drum - 10rd dumps aren't all that impressive
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Any chance a surefire 60 or 100 would work?  Then you could get 20-30rd dumps.

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 7:15:24 AM EDT
[#12]
MWG 90-rounder will work- not sure about the Surefires.
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top