Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2014 10:21:00 PM EDT
i have a m16 in route to my ffl. does anyone run a 545x39mm upper with there m16? i know on a 762x39 you normally have to use a stronger spring but is it the same on a 545?
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 12:07:27 AM EDT
[#1]
5.45 has a different bolt, usually requires a stronger hammer spring, a lighter hammer (faster) and a slightly modified firing pin to go a little deeper into the primer.  Getting one to run on FA might drive you a little crazy.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 2:17:45 AM EDT
[#2]
I ran a case through my RDIAS with a spikes upper and the only thing I needed was a Wolfe extra power hammer spring. Now that the cheap ammo is cut off I sold the upper and got 7.62x39 upper instead.

Upper ran fine though, just had to clean it more often than my 5.56 uppers.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 2:27:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I ran a case through my RDIAS with a spikes upper and the only thing I needed was a Wolfe extra power hammer spring. Now that the cheap ammo is cut off I sold the upper and got 7.62x39 upper instead.

View Quote

I did the same except dedicated the rifle to 7.62.  I already had a SKS and a bunch of ammo for it.  I wanted an AK, but, other than a familiarity with them, I wasn't all that interested in getting tooled up for them.  Barrel, muzzle device, bolt, hammer spring, and mags and I was up an running.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 12:15:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I did the same except dedicated the rifle to 7.62.  I already had a SKS and a bunch of ammo for it.  I wanted an AK, but, other than a familiarity with them, I wasn't all that interested in getting tooled up for them.  Barrel, muzzle device, bolt, hammer spring, and mags and I was up an running.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I occasionally drop my 5.45 upper on one of my FA lowers.  Occasional FTF from the hard primers, as I run regular hammer springs in all my FA lowers, but it generally runs pretty well in FA.  If I were to make it a regular configuration, I'd change up the FCG components for better reliability with the 5.45 milsurp ammo.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 7:25:31 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

i have a m16 in route to my ffl. does anyone run a 545x39mm upper with there m16? i know on a 762x39 you normally have to use a stronger spring but is it the same on a 545?
View Quote
yeah i have one.

normal buffer spring, normal fp. file down the end of the bolt, wolff hammer springs in all my guns

since 545 is all but gone, i quit shooting it, only have about 13k left

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:20:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Tag for future use.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:18:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top