Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 1:18:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So what is the damage?

Look at it like this.

The innocent seller1 sells and the ATF approves the transfer to innocent Buyer1/innocent Seller2.

Innocent Seller2 sells to Innocent Buyer2.  ATF approves the transfer.

Innocent Buyer2 waits a few years and then contact Innocent Seller2 and demands money back.

However, there is no damages.  Innocent Seller2 has not been damaged in any way until he suffers a loss.

And when he does suffer that loss i.e. seizure by the ATF which is the only way he has compensable damages.

I dont think there is anything other than an all or nothing deal.
View Quote

You have to understand the law and the wording of law.

Assuming your scenario has actually happened; There is no innocent seller or buyer regardless if they know they are innocent and even if they don't have malicious intent.

If you are in possession of an unregistered machine gun then you are in violation of the NFA. Even if you have absolutely no idea you're in violation or not, you are in violation. Unfortunately they didn't put the word "knowingly" in 5862(d)

Title 26 Section 5861(d) makes it a crime, punishable by up to 10 years in prison, see § 5871, for any person to possess a firearm that is not properly registered.

The ATF only approves the transfer. They have no idea if the firearm in its present condition is in violation of the law unless it's investigated. And even if the ATF approves the transfer, this still doesn't mean the NFA item is legal.

Basically anyone with it has a great chance of going to jail.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 10:52:58 AM EDT
[#2]
actually, it is you that have to understand which law we are talking about.

There is an innocent seller and buyer.  If you read the law, there is an intent element to the crime.

In the civil case, there is the person who knew that he had altered the machinegun.  Obviously he is not innocent.

but the guys who came after him and knew nothing . . they would not be culpable.

Therefore, we are talking about the civil side of this.

Who pays and who gets hosed.

The other issue:  When does the innocent buyer incur damage?

Does he take it to the BATFE and ask for a ruling?

Is it legal if they don't seize it?

Seriously, this is a problem that is far reaching.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 11:19:55 AM EDT
[#3]
As I recall, in Staples v. United States, 511 U.S. 600 (1994), the Supreme Court said that the government had to prove Mr. Staples knew he was in violation of the law by possessing an unregistered machine gun.

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 11:33:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
As I recall, in Staples v. United States, 511 U.S. 600 (1994), the Supreme Court said that the government had to prove Mr. Staples knew he was in violation of the law by possessing an unregistered machine gun.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/92-1441.ZO.html

View Quote

exactly, hence why I am not worried about the criminal aspects of this.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 12:08:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Saw on another forum that "Frank" pulled the auction and was going to inform the buyer, but shouldn't he also inform the ATF that this was a cutup LL which was welded to a DIAS body?
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 3:22:16 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Saw on another forum that "Frank" pulled the auction and was going to inform the buyer, but shouldn't he also inform the ATF that this was a cutup LL which was welded to a DIAS body?
View Quote
Why should he do work for them???

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:30:00 PM EDT
[#7]
okay, so anytime someone sees something that they THINK is illegal . . you should call the BATFE and the cops?

Like, if you are at the range and you see someone shooting a rifle with a short barrel . . you should call the BATFE and the cops because you THINK it may be illegal?
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:39:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
okay, so anytime someone sees something that they THINK is illegal . . you should call the BATFE and the cops?

Like, if you are at the range and you see someone shooting a rifle with a short barrel . . you should call the BATFE and the cops because you THINK it may be illegal?
View Quote

I'm not. MYOB. I have no reason to invite the man into my life. Some guy has a gun at the range? As long as he isn't pointing it at me or others I don't care. Is it properly registered? Don't care.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 1:49:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
actually, it is you that have to understand which law we are talking about.

There is an innocent seller and buyer.  If you read the law, there is an intent element to the crime.

In the civil case, there is the person who knew that he had altered the machinegun.  Obviously he is not innocent.

but the guys who came after him and knew nothing . . they would not be culpable.

Therefore, we are talking about the civil side of this.

Who pays and who gets hosed.

The other issue:  When does the innocent buyer incur damage?

Does he take it to the BATFE and ask for a ruling?

Is it legal if they don't seize it?

Seriously, this is a problem that is far reaching.
View Quote

US title 18(? I'm on my phone so lookup capabilities aren't easy) 922 section O says the same thing about possession and exempts government and pre may.

And with the staples case, you're looking at case law situation. In other words "let the courts handle it"

I'll tell you what, be the innocent buyer and I'll contribute $100 to your legal fund when it's required.  

I can't speak for the civil side. The end buyer gets hosed.  I'm sure the ATF will look into investigating up the line of transfers because they have nothing better to do when they aren't signing stamps and shipping guns to mexico.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 9:13:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Shipping a RDIAS uninsured in a regular envelope is pretty hard to forget.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don't let the ad fool you. He broker a lot of stuff and in my case wasn't forthcoming that the item was not in his possession.

I've handled the transfer for a few customers who purchased from him

I have no idea how hes still in business.

Shipping a RDIAS uninsured in a regular envelope is pretty hard to forget.

Holy shit!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top