Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Posted: 7/12/2014 10:34:44 AM EDT
Few questions gents. I have a registered receiver that I use my premium uppers on (such as knights, noveske, etc).
I have a RLL coming in (waiting on the form 4) and was wondering what exactly is involved in making the bolt carriers ready for a lightning link.
I understand the part about milling out the shelves inside the lowers to ensure proper height and clearance.
What happens to the bolt carriers? I see we have to usually cut out material to make it fit the paddle. Rather than doing that to say the stock Novekse bolt carrier, would it be better just to buy a Colt Sp1 carrier and use that in the upper everytime it is on the lightning link? And then if i decide to use it on the m16 lower, just put the regular bolt carrier back in?
Does milling out the bolt carrier for a lightning link increase the rate of fire due to loss of mass?
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 10:55:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Few questions gents. I have a registered receiver that I use my premium uppers on (such as knights, noveske, etc).
I have a RLL coming in (waiting on the form 4) and was wondering what exactly is involved in making the bolt carriers ready for a lightning link.
I understand the part about milling out the shelves inside the lowers to ensure proper height and clearance.
What happens to the bolt carriers? I see we have to usually cut out material to make it fit the paddle. Rather than doing that to say the stock Novekse bolt carrier, would it be better just to buy a Colt Sp1 carrier and use that in the upper everytime it is on the lightning link? And then if i decide to use it on the m16 lower, just put the regular bolt carrier back in?
Does milling out the bolt carrier for a lightning link increase the rate of fire due to loss of mass?
View Quote

To summarize you need to re-create a Colt SP1 carrier, you remove some material to get it to work.  Will it increase the rate of fire?  I suppose it will slightly, but probably insignificantly.  You can send your carriers off to M60 joe to be converted if you choose, but just remember every bolt you do that to is ruined, it won't trip the sear in your m16.  So I would just match and time it to a specific carrier.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 10:57:41 AM EDT
[#2]
The bolt carriers are modified to Colt SP1 specs. I personally wouldn't mod a Noveske bolt carrier, because that would make it useless for using in a registered lower and/or DIAS. Milling the bolt carrier shouldn't affect the rate of fire in any meaningful way. If I was you I'd just build a Colt Model 733 clone around that LL.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 11:09:30 AM EDT
[#3]
And that gents is the answer I was looking for. had no idea milling would deadline the carrier for regular sear use. Very big Caution sign should be attached to these.
I was almost tempted to mill my Knights E3 carrier. Woulda been ugly.
Thank you for all the help. I'll just send an Aim $80 bcg to joe for some milling.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 1:35:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Take it to a machine shop and have them mill the trip face back to .380" from the rear face of the carrier. The trip face needs to be square. No rounded edges.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 2:32:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Young mfg.. All you need to Know.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 7:20:32 AM EDT
[#6]
young mfg  hasthem in black and chrome... i currently have a chorme one from them and an original colt.  i like the y/m better becasue it has a shourded firing pin vs the colt sp1

and the chrome cleans easy

you have to state lightning link cut when you order it.
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top