Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Posted: 4/18/2014 8:58:01 PM EDT
Rewats are cheaper for sure.  Is there any reason not to buy these things?  I assume they make good shooters and will hold their value, just will never have the collect-ability or desirability of one that hasn't been chopped?
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 9:51:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 10:19:12 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Value depends on exactly how they have been dewatted, and on price/availability of the parts required to restore them to working order.

Some dewats simply cannot be fixed. It's rare, but there were very few written ATF dewat standards back in the '40s and '50s, when most were done by returning WWII GIs. And few were ever inspected or examined by ATF. I've seen some that were clearly still live MGs (a PPSh that had the firing pin broken off, and lead -- lead! -- poured into the chamber and muzzle. Others were overdone -- a BAR that had a honkin' big hole drilled and pinned through a crucial part of the receiver. Even if properly welded up, I don't think I would trust the receiver to withstand a steady diet of full-auto .30/06. So you really need to know the model you're buying, and inspect it very carefully.

In addition, depending on the model, you usually will have to replace the barrel, and often bolts, etc. That's no problem for a 1919, but many of the less common MGs have zero parts available.

However, IMHO, the market values rewetted original MGs higher than tube guns or conversions. Some show literally no evidence of the dewat/rewat process, and are very close in value and shootability to an uncut original.

When considering buying a dewat: First, be absolutely sure how it was dewatted. Second, check out the supply side for the parts you will need to rewat it, and if the work is beyond your personal ability, check with someone like Bubba at Black River Militaria -- he has probably rewetted more MGs than any living person, and can give you a good estimate of the cost of rewatting the MG you are considering.

Don't forget the time involved -- you must acquire it on a Form 5 before filing a Form 1 to reactivate it yourself, or a second Form 5 to a gunsmith, who will Form 2 it, then Form 4 it back to you. That's two waits, plus the time it takes to find and buy the parts, and if necessary the wait time for your number to come up at the gunsmith doing the work. It's not uncommon for the rewat process to take a few years, for the less common examples.

Yes, whoever reactivates a dewat must engrave it with name/city/state.

Add the cost of rewatting plus 10% for unexpected surprises to the price of the dewat. Then compare it to current market values for tube or side plate versions, uncut originals, and a properly rewetted MG will be somewhere between the two (and probably closer to the value of an original than to a tube/sideplate MG).

Your Mileage May Vary.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Quoted:

Rewats are cheaper for sure.  Is there any reason not to buy these things?  I assume they make good shooters and will hold their value, just will never have the collect-ability or desirability of one that hasn't been chopped?

Value depends on exactly how they have been dewatted, and on price/availability of the parts required to restore them to working order.

Some dewats simply cannot be fixed. It's rare, but there were very few written ATF dewat standards back in the '40s and '50s, when most were done by returning WWII GIs. And few were ever inspected or examined by ATF. I've seen some that were clearly still live MGs (a PPSh that had the firing pin broken off, and lead -- lead! -- poured into the chamber and muzzle. Others were overdone -- a BAR that had a honkin' big hole drilled and pinned through a crucial part of the receiver. Even if properly welded up, I don't think I would trust the receiver to withstand a steady diet of full-auto .30/06. So you really need to know the model you're buying, and inspect it very carefully.

In addition, depending on the model, you usually will have to replace the barrel, and often bolts, etc. That's no problem for a 1919, but many of the less common MGs have zero parts available.

However, IMHO, the market values rewetted original MGs higher than tube guns or conversions. Some show literally no evidence of the dewat/rewat process, and are very close in value and shootability to an uncut original.

When considering buying a dewat: First, be absolutely sure how it was dewatted. Second, check out the supply side for the parts you will need to rewat it, and if the work is beyond your personal ability, check with someone like Bubba at Black River Militaria -- he has probably rewetted more MGs than any living person, and can give you a good estimate of the cost of rewatting the MG you are considering.

Don't forget the time involved -- you must acquire it on a Form 5 before filing a Form 1 to reactivate it yourself, or a second Form 5 to a gunsmith, who will Form 2 it, then Form 4 it back to you. That's two waits, plus the time it takes to find and buy the parts, and if necessary the wait time for your number to come up at the gunsmith doing the work. It's not uncommon for the rewat process to take a few years, for the less common examples.

Yes, whoever reactivates a dewat must engrave it with name/city/state.

Add the cost of rewatting plus 10% for unexpected surprises to the price of the dewat. Then compare it to current market values for tube or side plate versions, uncut originals, and a properly rewetted MG will be somewhere between the two (and probably closer to the value of an original than to a tube/sideplate MG).

Your Mileage May Vary.
as always, I thank you.

I see a lot of Thompsons that are dewalted, in fact I am bidding on two. lol
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 11:48:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 2:34:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info Tony.  I actually did post this in the incorrect sub-forum.  It probably should go in general class III.

That being said, I was looking at this.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=408635649

For a Sturmgehwehr, I thought this was a pretty good deal.  But it is a REWAT, and it looks like the receiver was cut and re-welded or something.  Its really not a show gun from the looks of it, but it might be a good shooter.  I just didn't know what to really think about this particular example.
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top