Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Site Notices
Posted: 4/12/2014 2:22:24 PM EDT
Anyone else have this issue with their m16?  Every time I looked down today my auto sear was walking out.  Is the internal retainer wearing out?  Do I need to buy a new auto sear?
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 2:33:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 4:44:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Anyone else have this issue with their m16?  Every time I looked down today my auto sear was walking out.  Is the internal retainer wearing out?  Do I need to buy a new auto sear?
View Quote

There's a small notch in the bushing to let the short leg of the spring contact one of the retention grooves on the auto sear pin.  Either the short leg has been knocked out of that notch, or the short leg is broken or pushed out of shape so it no longer does any retaining.  A new auto sear's under $20, probably a good idea to get one.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 10:54:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

There's a small notch in the bushing to let the short leg of the spring contact one of the retention grooves on the auto sear pin.  Either the short leg has been knocked out of that notch, or the short leg is broken or pushed out of shape so it no longer does any retaining.  A new auto sear's under $20, probably a good idea to get one.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Done!  thanks for the info.  That's what I figured.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 6:48:27 AM EDT
[#4]
So I ordered a new auto sear, installed it and low and behold I took it out shooting today and it was walking out again.  Could it be my pin somehow?
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 6:56:29 AM EDT
[#5]
You could try a KNS pin, Brownell's sells them.  I have one for the SGW lower I am waiting on like yours.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 7:35:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You could try a KNS pin, Brownell's sells them.  I have one for the SGW lower I am waiting on like yours.
View Quote

Yeah I've seen those but I was just trying to avoid it if I could, I'd really like to know why it's happening.  It concerns me because it will walk out and then my auto sear is canted and I'm concerned it's going to damage the receiver.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 7:48:54 AM EDT
[#7]
If it is walking out you are not assembling it correctly.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 7:50:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If it is walking out you are not assembling it correctly.
View Quote

How could you assemble it wrong?
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 7:58:29 AM EDT
[#9]
This is on the unfinished aluminum one, right?  Is the hole maybe a little too loose since it's not anodized?  Just thinking...
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 8:05:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
This is on the unfinished aluminum one, right?  Is the hole maybe a little too loose since it's not anodized?  Just thinking...
View Quote

It's not any more loose than other M16's I've used.  Besides, it's captive from the spring inside the sear.  I'm wondering if maybe it's the auto sear pin I have.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 9:28:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It's not any more loose than other M16's I've used.  Besides, it's captive from the spring inside the sear.  I'm wondering if maybe it's the auto sear pin I have.
View Quote

That's the only possible answer.  Your auto sear pin has two grooves, right?  One on either side?  When you put in the auto sear pin can you see the short leg lock into the groove?  If you push gently on the pin, you should see the short leg and maybe the busing move a little with it, letting you know the leg is in the pin groove and retaining it.

If your auto sear pin is defective - either lacking the grooves, or the groove is too shallow, that could lead to it walking out, and I can't think of any other reason it would.
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top