Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Posted: 4/3/2014 5:28:24 AM EDT
I took my transferrable M16 out for the first time yesterday, got a 20rd string at first, then it would only cough out 2-4rd bursts dropping the hammer and giving me a light primer strike.  I checked the carrier shoulder gap, and i wasn't getting auto sear activation until <.087 so I know it isn't a timing issue so it must be bolt bounce.  My 7.5" adams arms upper runs great on a post sample M16, and it's running a carbine carrier just like my m16.  These uppers are suppose to only operate on a carbine buffer.  I tried an H3 buffer a few months back and it didn't run at all, even in semi.  So my question is are all carbine buffers the same?  Maybe I should try a new spring/buffer?
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 11:01:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 12:10:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 12:34:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Below is a picture of some of my carbine buffers.  I also have most of the A5 buffers.  I now only use an H2 buffer and control the gas with my patented gas block in each upper rather that swap buffers anymore.
An H2 is all you need to eliminate bolt bounce.  Going heavier is just more reciprocating mass.
I only change buffers when messing with blow back operated uppers like 9mm which isn't much.

http://c3junkie.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/buffers.jpg
View Quote

How is a H2 and H3 .1 ounces apart?
look at the difference in H and H2
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 12:44:27 PM EDT
[#4]
lol sorry guys, I meant are all standard carbine weight buffers the same (the same type of buffer)  The reason I ask is my M16 ran fine with a standard carbine buffer, and on another carbine buffer (of the same weight) it's not functioning.  Both have two tungsten weights (I believe that's the standard).

As for the gas questions this is a piston upper, 7.5" Adams arms PDW.

You know, if it ran fine on that lower and not on mine, it must be one of three things.  buffer, spring, or the hammer spring.  I should just start swapping parts from the post sample until I find which one is the culprit.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 1:14:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
lol sorry guys, I meant are all standard carbine weight buffers the same (the same type of buffer)  The reason I ask is my M16 ran fine with a standard carbine buffer, and on another carbine buffer (of the same weight) it's not functioning.  Both have two tungsten weights (I believe that's the standard).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

A standard "CAR" weight buffer has NO tungsten weights.  Two tungsten weights would be an H2 buffer, which is the current milspec for the M4/M4A1 rifles.

Piston systems introduce massive variations in the operating cycle.  Very short barrels also introduce significant variation.

You know, if it ran fine on that lower and not on mine, it must be one of three things.  buffer, spring, or the hammer spring.  I should just start swapping parts from the post sample until I find which one is the culprit.

I would not.  Very short barrels are well known to be very touchy, there could be any number of factors making a difference in your setup.

Most piston setups use very heavy buffers to tame the harshness of their operating cycle.  I would just try an H2 or H3 to start with.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 4:35:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 8:16:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

A standard "CAR" weight buffer has NO tungsten weights.  Two tungsten weights would be an H2 buffer, which is the current milspec for the M4/M4A1 rifles.

Piston systems introduce massive variations in the operating cycle.  Very short barrels also introduce significant variation.

I would not.  Very short barrels are well known to be very touchy, there could be any number of factors making a difference in your setup.

Most piston setups use very heavy buffers to tame the harshness of their operating cycle.  I would just try an H2 or H3 to start with.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In the original post I mentioned an H3 buffer would not even cycle in semi.  Adams arms recommends a CAR buffer only for use in their 7.5" PDW.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 8:42:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Tomorrow I will test a few buffers I have

ST:T2 3.21oz
Colt "H" 3.77oz
and a number of 3oz carbine buffers

That's all I have so I'll give it a shot and see what happens.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 2:40:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Have you checked the hammer spring and make sure it's installed correctly?

I had same light primer strike and found out that the hammer spring was installed incorrectly.

Link Posted: 4/4/2014 5:26:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Have you checked the hammer spring and make sure it's installed correctly?

I had same light primer strike and found out that the hammer spring was installed incorrectly.

View Quote

Yes its installed correctly, no issue there.  I check it's spring rate, it's a little stiffer than most, I don't see it as having any issues.  I've felt a lot of hammer springs over the years, doesn't feel weak in the slightest.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 7:38:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Fixed!  Colt H Buffer, new carbine spring.  Runs 100%

Video 1

Video 2
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 7:39:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Look at that smile... PRICELESS!

Quoted:
Fixed!  Colt H Buffer, new carbine spring.  Runs 100%

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raJIXeHbEe4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKFK0IPcLUs
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/4/2014 7:57:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Nice!  What'd you decide to do about finishing your lower?
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 8:24:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Nice!  What'd you decide to do about finishing your lower?
View Quote

Going to have ident engrave the auto selector and then have courter hall in dallas do a type 3 hard anodize.

My only complaint is it *appears* the detent for the selector is slightly off.  I had to hit the grip with an endmill to allow the spring to sit a little further back.  Also causes my selector to not sit 180* in the semi position, slightly canted.  My only gripe.  I considered welding up the receiver and redrilling it, but the anodizing would probably look screwy since they don't make a 7000 series rod.
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top