BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 4:06:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks!  I'm happy with how it came together.

I would also like to say thank you to m60joe.  He was very clear on communication, and the fastest turnaround I have ever seen for any gun work, about a week.  I already had some friends send him more business, couldn't recommend him more highly.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 12:19:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I would also like to say thank you to m60joe.  He was very clear on communication, and the fastest turnaround I have ever seen for any gun work, about a week.  I already had some friends send him more business, couldn't recommend him more highly.
View Quote

There is a reason most of us suggested him. Now you know.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 1:27:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was mostly in regards to the previous post in this thread saying his turnaround was over a year.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 6:22:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

It was mostly in regards to the previous post in this thread saying his turnaround was over a year.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I'm used to having at least one quack job show up in any tech thread here on arfcom. But if five people say someone is great and one idiot saying different, I write off the idiot. But glad you know now.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 7:08:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Once I machined off all the forging flaws/seams I had the receiver blasted and anodized hardcoat type III. It came out pretty decent looking, however the shallow engraving done on the receiver back in the 80's really left nearly impossible to see selector markings.

http://i.imgur.com/5XllbGl.jpg?1

But, that was a blessing... because I did not want a SAFE FIRE AUTO receiver.  I took this as an opporunity to re-engrave over these SAFE SEMI AUTO.  

http://i.imgur.com/csGFJCc.jpg?1

It came out great, matched the engraving perfectly to the previous engraving, and the FIRE was so faint, it's completely invisible now with a proper depth.  Driving in the trigger guard roll pin was one of the most nerveracking moments.  I've never broken an ear off a receiver before, but the day before I was going to a couple of my friends did, which I couldn't help but keep in the back of my mind.  

http://i.imgur.com/jfz00ay.jpg?1

Everything went well and finally, 1 year later to the day I am finished with my M16.  Now all I guess there is to do is shoot it?
View Quote

That's beautiful, man....congrats!
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 9:06:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 11:19:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Who did you end up going with for the anodizing?
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 9:44:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Someone just posted one on subguns for $25,500. Better grab it!
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 10:49:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah, great price. Just not yet!

Mine is just a few digits away from that one's serial number.  
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 12:06:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's the twin to my gun.  Same guy I bought mine from, he has several.
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 8:08:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hope you didn't pay $25,500 for yours.
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 11:24:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

:)  I guess you could say I got while the gettin' was good.
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 12:41:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Nice looking piece. Congrats!
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 7:52:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Check out the pic of the right side of the sear pocket where it was milled.
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 7:16:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not surprised, the OP said his had multiple things that needed touched up and had final finishing work done.
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 1:24:28 PM EDT
[#16]
That looks fantastic...what a difference!

That guy is positively delusional for that stripped one at $25.5k.  Well into factory colt complete rifle m16a1 money there.
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 3:16:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Def not worth 25k, especially prior to having all the additional work completed on it. At those prices you could pick up a colt m16a2
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 9:26:34 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm in the home stretch on mine!  Excited!
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 2:23:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
For all of those that responded about the insurance, I use and highly recommend Historic Firearms Insurance by Eastern Insurance Group. Get it ASAP for piece of mind. I'm happy I did.  Call them, and they will get you everything you need. It's easy.
View Quote

Didn't think they covered loss during shipping...
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 12:15:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
For all of those that responded about the insurance, I use and highly recommend Historic Firearms Insurance by Eastern Insurance Group. Get it ASAP for piece of mind. I'm happy I did.  Call them, and they will get you everything you need. It's easy.

They do, that's the only reason I bought them.  I must have asked the underwriter 10 times and had him put it in writing several times.  They most certainly WILL cover shipping losses or damages.

Link Posted: 10/12/2014 9:30:27 AM EDT
[#21]
My sincere apologies but that was a slip of the keyboard on my phone.

It was a two month wait but it was worth it from m60Joe

Who did your refinishing and anodizing because that is gorgeously done.

My RR is a NWAC registered on a OLY/SGW receiver and my engraving for the SEMI, AUTO and FIRE is exactly the same.

Link Posted: 10/12/2014 10:11:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Mine just came in yesterday! (Bought it last November)  So here's the "before" pic:

Now begins all the touch ups, I want go get it refinished (selector stops are bare aluminum where SAW INC milled them off during the conversion) after getting a few things fixed. Tight take down pins - check all the dimensions, get rid of FIRE (my existing SAFE and FIRE marking are faint like FleischPfeif's were so hopefully it works out), add SEMI & AUTO. Mag well is good. All mags fit.  Emailed M60 Joe to get started.  

FleischPfeif - your PMs are full.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 11:11:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Damn, I need a select fire lower now
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 7:28:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Mine just came in yesterday! (Bought it last November)  So here's the "before" pic:

<a href="http://s29.photobucket.com/user/Redhed97/media/983E284E-D8E7-406A-A535-FAA07A8A5680_zpslumv9cqf.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c295/Redhed97/983E284E-D8E7-406A-A535-FAA07A8A5680_zpslumv9cqf.jpg</a>

Now begins all the touch ups, I want go get it refinished (selector stops are bare aluminum where SAW INC milled them off during the conversion) after getting a few things fixed. Tight take down pins - check all the dimensions, get rid of FIRE (my existing SAFE and FIRE marking are faint like FleischPfeif's were so hopefully it works out), add SEMI & AUTO. Mag well is good. All mags fit.  Emailed M60 Joe to get started.  

<a href="http://s29.photobucket.com/user/Redhed97/media/FC9755B2-B5D1-45BA-AA22-610AFE8FB242_zpss1rsflkj.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c295/Redhed97/FC9755B2-B5D1-45BA-AA22-610AFE8FB242_zpss1rsflkj.jpg</a>

View Quote

Nice wow that was a good long wait. Congrats
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 6:07:04 PM EDT
[#25]

View Quote

Not anymore!  I have used US Anodizing to do the finish, and I used ident marking to do the engraving.  I would suggest you very VERY lightly blast your serial# because it's just as light. If the serial# goes you're screwed.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 6:14:02 PM EDT
[#26]
A few new bits and pieces.  Ready to shoot next week and then will probably send to M60Joe to get dimensions checked and tight pins addressed, then anodize and engrave.  

Fun upper

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 11:05:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
A few new bits and pieces.  Ready to shoot next week and then will probably send to M60Joe to get dimensions checked and tight pins addressed, then anodize and engrave.  

<a href="http://s29.photobucket.com/user/Redhed97/media/5EF5616C-BCC9-4C8F-ADF3-2D061D4973EA_zpsy22gqrwc.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c295/Redhed97/5EF5616C-BCC9-4C8F-ADF3-2D061D4973EA_zpsy22gqrwc.jpg</a>

Fun upper

<a href="http://s29.photobucket.com/user/Redhed97/media/47C3C75B-5CF0-495A-BC0D-60BCDC9C8E85_zpsc8luzboq.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c295/Redhed97/47C3C75B-5CF0-495A-BC0D-60BCDC9C8E85_zpsc8luzboq.jpg</a>
View Quote

tactical grass placement!

LOL @ money into noise.  Love it.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 8:37:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

This +1!
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 9:39:34 PM EDT
[#29]
M60 Joe's re-working mine currently.  Excited!  
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 11:54:35 PM EDT
[#30]
He just reworked mine. Milled the top shelf, gave the magwell a once over, and a little material removed from the space between the front lugs. I've got a draft writeup started, but I haven't posted it yet. I've got to finish organizing the pictures to go with it.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:12:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Post up some finish pics!
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:25:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s29.photobucket.com/user/Redhed97/media/5EF5616C-BCC9-4C8F-ADF3-2D061D4973EA_zpsy22gqrwc.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c295/Redhed97/5EF5616C-BCC9-4C8F-ADF3-2D061D4973EA_zpsy22gqrwc.jpg</a>

Fun upper

<a href="http://s29.photobucket.com/user/Redhed97/media/47C3C75B-5CF0-495A-BC0D-60BCDC9C8E85_zpsc8luzboq.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c295/Redhed97/47C3C75B-5CF0-495A-BC0D-60BCDC9C8E85_zpsc8luzboq.jpg</a>
View Quote

Lol where did you get that "money into noise" rail cover?
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:56:14 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fun upper

I ordered those for a friend and myself from  http://shop.customgunrails.com/

Link Posted: 2/16/2015 4:26:57 PM EDT
[#34]
updates RedHed?
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 4:25:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
updates RedHed?
View Quote

It's going well!  Got my receiver back from M60 Joe after he worked his magic.  He did a great job, receiver fits all my various uppers easily, re-mark and re-finish looks pretty, mags fit well, etc.  Money well spent.  

I decided it was going so well I needed some adversity so I am tinkering with a .22 kit and upper.  I got the CMMG kit and their trip and bounce weight, as well as a Ciener trip and bounce weight.  

They're surprisingly different parts and weights - Ciener on the left, CMMG on the right:

So the fun continues, I'll be picking your brain soon on this .22 soon, FleischPfeif!

Link Posted: 2/18/2015 6:01:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

It's going well!  Got my receiver back from M60 Joe after he worked his magic.  He did a great job, receiver fits all my various uppers easily, re-mark and re-finish looks pretty, mags fit well, etc.  Money well spent.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
updates RedHed?

Where did you get the receiver remarked? I might be interested in doing mine sometime soon. I also have an oly 16.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 6:48:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Where did you get the receiver remarked? I might be interested in doing mine sometime soon. I also have an oly 16.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
updates RedHed?

M-60 Joe did all the fitting, checking spec, milling down the top deck, mag catch work, took off tooling marks, etc. and he has a local engraver (the same people that do stuff for Ohio Ordnance Works).  After that he finished it in Moly Coat.  One stop shop so that appealed to me vs. shipping it around more.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 10:27:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

M-60 Joe did all the fitting, checking spec, milling down the top deck, mag catch work, took off tooling marks, etc. and he has a local engraver (the same people that do stuff for Ohio Ordnance Works).  After that he finished it in Moly Coat.  One stop shop so that appealed to me vs. shipping it around more.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
updates RedHed?

I have to admit I really like the engraving, looks awesome compared to the barely visible original stamped markings.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 11:28:03 PM EDT
[#39]
How well does the moly coat match modern black uppers?  Hard to tell from pics, but it looks a shade lighter
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 12:13:23 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
How well does the moly coat match modern black uppers?  Hard to tell from pics, but it looks a shade lighter
View Quote

It's pretty flat, so it depends on the upper.  It's nice and black, I like it.  I'll try to do some more pictures this weekend.
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 11:41:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Would also like to see some pics. How does the moly coat compare to anodizing?
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 1:44:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I decided it was going so well I needed some adversity so I am tinkering with a .22 kit and upper.  I got the CMMG kit and their trip and bounce weight, as well as a Ciener trip and bounce weight.  

They're surprisingly different parts and weights - Ciener on the left, CMMG on the right:

View Quote

Mostly cosmetic changes, but still interchangeable.  The weight has ridges so it'll work with the forward assist, and the profile of the sear trip is flatter and thinner at the front so that it won't interfere with bolt hold-open activator (or better mag adapter).
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 2:15:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Will either of these work with a Spike's tactical ST-22 upper?
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 6:40:43 PM EDT
[#44]
The anti-bounce weight weights are different too.  .7 on the CMMG, 1 ounce on the Ciener.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 8:27:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Will either of these work with a Spike's tactical ST-22 upper?
View Quote

They should. For awhile Spike's was making the Ciener style trips and weights.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top