Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/5/2013 1:23:56 AM EDT
About 6 months ago I bought an Olympic Arms forged receiver which was converted to full auto by SAW armory.  I took measurements and everything appeared to be done correctly.  The receiver is still in the white, and is still on a form 3.  I will be the first owner.  I'm excited to get it, but there is little comparison as far as prices, and I'm hoping I got a decent deal on it.  Anyone care to give their thoughts?
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 12:09:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Frank Goepfert and Ruben Mendiola were selling finished virgin lowers a few month ago that were stop sign SGW if I'm not mistaken. Frank was getting around 15k on GB auction and Ruben was selling them for 17.5k a pop.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 11:40:51 PM EDT
[#2]
If I was selling one as you described I would expect to get at least $14K for it
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 12:31:24 AM EDT
[#3]
probably 14-15, unless its an sgw/paws with the Z prefix (factory m16 minus sear hole) as these are higher quality. then probably 16-17, as it shouldn't need any work done at all.

PICS!!!
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 2:27:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
probably 14-15, unless its an sgw/paws with the Z prefix (factory m16 minus sear hole) as these are higher quality. then probably 16-17, as it shouldn't need any work done at all.

PICS!!!
View Quote

That makes me feel really good, because it is an SGW w/ the Z prefix (At least I think it is).  Not much to look at ladies, it's still in the white!

I'm in the DFW area.  I think I'll take it to ident marking to engrave AUTO and then over to courter hall to do a type 3 anodizing.  How thick can I go on anodizing before I start having tolerance problems with pins, etc?  ident does laser engraving, but the original engraving is clearly friction.  I wish I could find someone who can do the original depth/text so it matched perfectly.  But having someone do work to a lower that's this expensive is kind of hair raising.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 3:21:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
That makes me feel really good, because it is an SGW w/ the Z prefix (At least I think it is).  Not much to look at ladies, it's still in the white!
View Quote

FYI, that is not an Oly/PAWS despite the Z serial number.  Model number of the factory Oly/PAWS machineguns is ZX-16.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 3:36:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 4:31:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/Zk6CXUt.jpg

I'm in the DFW area.  I think I'll take it to ident marking to engrave AUTO and then over to courter hall to do a type 3 anodizing.  How thick can I go on anodizing before I start having tolerance problems with pins, etc?  ident does laser engraving, but the original engraving is clearly friction.  I wish I could find someone who can do the original depth/text so it matched perfectly.  But having someone do work to a lower that's this expensive is kind of hair raising.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

PICS!!!

http://i.imgur.com/Zk6CXUt.jpg

Then send it to those who specialize in doing the work!  http://www.usanodizing.com/pricing.htm
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 5:42:55 PM EDT
[#8]
I spoke w/ them and I can't understand why they are charging 3x more to anodize a machinegun lower when the exact same piece of metal costs $70.  That just aggravates me, and I do not want to ship my receiver.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 5:46:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I spoke w/ them and I can't understand why they are charging 3x more to anodize a machinegun lower when the exact same piece of metal costs $70.  That just aggravates me, and I do not want to ship my receiver.
View Quote

Probably in case they fuck it up.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 5:52:03 PM EDT
[#10]
I presume that's the case, but to ship it insured ends up costing me $800 both ways including their fee.  Courter Hall in Dallas is an FFL and they specialize in anodizing as they do most of the work for Raytheon and several other weapon manufacturers.  I was told by identmarking that they regularly anodize million dollar pieces of equipment, so I figure they can probably be trusted.  I'll make sure to post it up when I get it back.  But first I need to take several measurements and make sure this lower is completely in spec before I send it off for anodizing.  I'll save the $800 for a RMW 10mm upper.
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 9:31:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Oddly enough, I just purchased a week ago yesterday an almost identical M16.  Same roll marks as yours, SAW Conversion (marked SAW Inc. on the front of the mag well), Z6XXX serial number.  On mine it was set up as an M16A2 style with a Colt 20" upper.  Conversion seems good, I test fired it and it is a little tight with some uppers so I will probably send it to M60 Joe to have it checked, specced and modified accordingly.  USGI, PMAG G2 and G3 mags, Surefire 60 and BETA mag all locked and worked fine.  I even got my CMMG conversion to run in it with my 10" upper.  

As you can see in the pic, they did not engrave "AUTO" on this one either and the selector stops were left in the white after they clearanced them.  I'm also in DFW and was also thinking Ident Marking for the AUTO marking (I wish I could somehow change "FIRE" to "SEMI" too - any ideas?).  I was thinking US Anodizing for a refinish after all that gets done but now I will look at Courter-Hall, I had not heard of them.  Do all parts on a lower get removed to re-anodize it?  Not a real big deal, but driving roll pins on these valuable lowers makes me nervous.  I will probably replace all the lower parts with fresh ones anyway.

Keep me posted on your progress, FleischPfeif, sounds like you have a six month head start on me so I will be interested to see how yours turns out.  We should go shoot 'em side by side in a year or two when this is all done!

Link Posted: 12/7/2013 1:32:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I presume that's the case, but to ship it insured ends up costing me $800 both ways including their fee.  Courter Hall in Dallas is an FFL and they specialize in anodizing as they do most of the work for Raytheon and several other weapon manufacturers.  I was told by identmarking that they regularly anodize million dollar pieces of equipment, so I figure they can probably be trusted.  I'll make sure to post it up when I get it back.  But first I need to take several measurements and make sure this lower is completely in spec before I send it off for anodizing.  I'll save the $800 for a RMW 10mm upper.
View Quote

I know this is slightly off topic, but I don't know why so many of you don't have firearms insurance on these guns.  For that $800 you could cover around $300,000 worth of guns for a year, and have piece of mind when you ship. I just shipped my m60 with ground and no insurance for $50. I know if something happens, my insurance will cover it, even with shipping. You really think USPS will actually cover the cost of a machine gun if it's lost? Think again.  Also FedEx will take your money for the insurance, but if it's lost and you are not an FFL, they won't give you a dime. All of you that don't have any.....BUY FIREARMS INSURANCE.
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 1:35:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I know this is slightly off topic, but I don't know why so many of you don't have firearms insurance on these guns.  For that $800 you could cover around $300,000 worth of guns for a year, and have piece of mind when you ship. I just shipped my m60 with ground and no insurance for $50. I know if something happens, my insurance will cover it, even with shipping. You really think USPS will actually cover the cost of a machine gun if it's lost? Think again.  Also FedEx will take your money for the insurance, but if it's lost and you are not an FFL, they won't give you a dime. All of you that don't have any.....BUY FIREARMS INSURANCE.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's on my to do list, who did you go with again?  I need to do that.
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 2:41:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Oddly enough, I just purchased a week ago yesterday an almost identical M16.  Same roll marks as yours, SAW Conversion (marked SAW Inc. on the front of the mag well), Z6XXX serial number.  On mine it was set up as an M16A2 style with a Colt 20" upper.  Conversion seems good, I test fired it and it is a little tight with some uppers so I will probably send it to M60 Joe to have it checked, specced and modified accordingly.  USGI, PMAG G2 and G3 mags, Surefire 60 and BETA mag all locked and worked fine.  I even got my CMMG conversion to run in it with my 10" upper.  

As you can see in the pic, they did not engrave "AUTO" on this one either and the selector stops were left in the white after they clearanced them.  I'm also in DFW and was also thinking Ident Marking for the AUTO marking (I wish I could somehow change "FIRE" to "SEMI" too - any ideas?).  I was thinking US Anodizing for a refinish after all that gets done but now I will look at Courter-Hall, I had not heard of them.  Do all parts on a lower get removed to re-anodize it?  Not a real big deal, but driving roll pins on these valuable lowers makes me nervous.  I will probably replace all the lower parts with fresh ones anyway.

Keep me posted on your progress, FleischPfeif, sounds like you have a six month head start on me so I will be interested to see how yours turns out.  We should go shoot 'em side by side in a year or two when this is all done!

<a href="http://s29.photobucket.com/user/Redhed97/media/63f3e3b0cb6d28e8402cebe033e13db6_zps9122dcdd.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c295/Redhed97/63f3e3b0cb6d28e8402cebe033e13db6_zps9122dcdd.jpg</a>
View Quote

That's good to hear everything is running good for you.  I have a CMMG 6.5" on the way at the moment as well.  Now that you mentioned it I didn't even notice mine as marked FIRE and not SEMI.  Well, the only real options you have is to TIG the engraving and then hit it with an end mill.  Or you can take an end mill and take a thousandths off on all the engraving, but then you'd be left with an rectangle inlay.  I had considered doing HK style pictograms but I will probably just add AUTO to keep it simple.  Sounds good to me, you're more than welcome to come shooting to my range.  I am looking for a new range south of Arlington that allows full auto, the only close range I've found is TDSA, but their rules leave something to be desired.

I would like to make mention that Ident did screw up my M16A1 receiver with engraving.  The owner Jason tried to play it off, but his laser must have lost penetration because it only marked the andozing on some spots.  That kind of pissed me off about Ident.  I've met the owner many times and hung out with him as well, but I'm not completely comfortable with them.  I'm also going to speak with TPM outfitters as I believe they do friction engraving.
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 2:47:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd like to look into that.  I wasn't aware there were separate policies for guns, all I know is my homeowners insurance only covers a hilariously low amount, so I invested in a very nice safe.  So, can you send some info my way?  Does it cover catastrophic failures?
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 2:59:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can you elaborate on which company you are using for the insurance? I'm definitely interested in getting a policy in the near future.
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 3:42:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

No, the exact same piece of metal costs between 10-15k. IIRC, they process title ll receivers one at a time instead of adding it to a batch in a rack. That way they can control the process of the one item. Much of their title ll work is refinishing & if you have ever dealt with anodizing, you only get one shot at getting it right.

I have dealt with no less than 3 companies that do annodizing for the firearm industry & every upper/lower refinished was so loose (out of spec) that I sold them for a loss.

You are dealing with a 15k lower & want to go cheap and don't want to ship!

Good luck.
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 8:15:52 PM EDT
[#18]
I highly recommend you fully assemble the lower, but leaving out the two roll pins, and thoroughly test fire it before having it anodized.  Use an undersized solid pin to hold the bolt catch in but test fit the roll pins by starting them too.  Test it out with several uppers.  This will savyou  both money and frustration by addressing any issues that come up before you have it anodized.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 12:04:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

No, the exact same piece of metal costs between 10-15k. IIRC, they process title ll receivers one at a time instead of adding it to a batch in a rack. That way they can control the process of the one item. Much of their title ll work is refinishing & if you have ever dealt with anodizing, you only get one shot at getting it right.

I have dealt with no less than 3 companies that do annodizing for the firearm industry & every upper/lower refinished was so loose (out of spec) that I sold them for a loss.

Good luck.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck.

I understand what you're saying, but part of understanding the process gives me the confidence to know it isn't worth what they are charging to me.  If I didn't understand anodizing I would probably lap up everything their salesman told me.  Courter Hall here in DFW will work my receiver by itself, and it will be done by a guy who's anodized for 40 years, I'm sure he can handle it.  I appreciate your tenacity, though.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 12:08:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I highly recommend you fully assemble the lower, but leaving out the two roll pins, and thoroughly test fire it before having it anodized.  Use an undersized solid pin to hold the bolt catch in but test fit the roll pins by starting them too.  Test it out with several uppers.  This will savyou  both money and frustration by addressing any issues that come up before you have it anodized.
View Quote

When I originally went to look at the lower I took several pins with me and 3 different upper receivers (1 cerro forge, 1 colt factory, 1 bushmaster) all of them seemed to be just fine.  I will take that advice though and assemble to gun and test fire it first before I anodize, it will only take a moment.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 12:16:22 PM EDT
[#21]
For all of those that responded about the insurance, I use and highly recommend Historic Firearms Insurance by Eastern Insurance Group. Get it ASAP for piece of mind. I'm happy I did.  Call them, and they will get you everything you need. It's easy.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 12:34:10 PM EDT
[#22]
My SAW OLY conversion has the SAW logo on it which is similar to the SGW logo only it has two circles with SAW inside. The model is marked SAW-15 and the serial number starts with an S.

When checking  a lower for spec it never hurts to pin an upper to it and make sure the front inside of the upper does not overlap the top inside front face of the magwell.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 6:07:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Hi FleischPfeif trying to send a PM but your mailbox is full.
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 10:50:59 PM EDT
[#24]
FleischPfeif, did you get your lower yet?  Time is nearing I bet.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 2:10:18 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

LOL, not yet, it should be here soon.  Trust me, this isn't helping me try and forget about the anticipation!

I did get a nice .22 upper, I can't wait to have a full auto .22!
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 1:28:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

LOL, not yet, it should be here soon.  Trust me, this isn't helping me try and forget about the anticipation!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which upper did you get? I've been eyeing one for myself.
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 5:18:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

4.5" Clint Beyer barrel with Silencerco sparrow. CMMG Evolution bolt w/ anti-bounce weight/sear trip, taccom firing pin, taccom extractor, taccom pressure plug, bolt hold open, forward assist, boonie packer mag well adapter for S&W 15-22 mags, CMMG .22 upper receiver w/ deflector & dust cover reduction. Weighs 4lbs 3oz w/ mag & suppressor!
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 7:27:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

4.5" Clint Beyer barrel with Silencerco sparrow. CMMG Evolution bolt w/ anti-bounce weight/sear trip, taccom firing pin, taccom extractor, taccom pressure plug, bolt hold open, forward assist, boonie packer mag well adapter for S&W 15-22 mags, CMMG .22 upper receiver w/ deflector & dust cover reduction. Weighs 4lbs 3oz w/ mag & suppressor!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's awesome. I'm a bit clueless when it comes to running .22LR in the AR platform. I will probably build something along the lines of your upper while I wait for my m16 to come in. The beyer barrel that you ordered, did you get it with the CMMG breech collar? Any other small details I should be aware off? Would this be the kit I need to grab from CMMG along with the upper? http://www.cmmginc.com/product_p/22ba654.htm I appreciate you taking the time to respond.
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 9:58:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Great minds think alike.  Here's my .22 upper on one of my SBR lowers. 4" TACCOM barrel (I really like the little peek of carbon fiber), SCo Sparrow, CMMG SS bolt, Boonie packer, etc. almost all the same stuff.  It's not finished yet, waiting on a vise to come in so I can snug up the rail system.  

I did a polymer pistol lower to park it on for fun too when it's not on the SBR OR M16 lowers.  

Link Posted: 1/30/2014 11:46:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

That's awesome. I'm a bit clueless when it comes to running .22LR in the AR platform. I will probably build something along the lines of your upper while I wait for my m16 to come in. The beyer barrel that you ordered, did you get it with the CMMG breech collar? Any other small details I should be aware off? Would this be the kit I need to grab from CMMG along with the upper? http://www.cmmginc.com/product_p/22ba654.htm I appreciate you taking the time to respond.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, what you posted is a conversion for a .223 upper.  If you're wanting to build a dedicated .22 upper I would call CMMG.  they changed their page and I'm a little lost now.  They sell a 6.5" kit you can buy from them that's the entire upper, then you just swap out barrels.  If you give them a ring (that's what I did, their site is so damn confusing) and they can walk you through what to order.
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 11:47:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Great minds think alike.  Here's my .22 upper on one of my SBR lowers. 4" TACCOM barrel (I really like the little peek of carbon fiber), SCo Sparrow, CMMG SS bolt, Boonie packer, etc. almost all the same stuff.  It's not finished yet, waiting on a vise to come in so I can snug up the rail system.  

I did a polymer pistol lower to park it on for fun too when it's not on the SBR OR M16 lowers.  

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c295/Redhed97/db0dffe38ee26293a66997b9cab8f905_zps8ce833be.jpg

View Quote

Yeah you're not kidding, almost identical to mine!  It looks good.  I bet it's really light with that poly lower, geez.
Link Posted: 1/31/2014 10:02:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
For all of those that responded about the insurance, I use and highly recommend Historic Firearms Insurance by Eastern Insurance Group. Get it ASAP for piece of mind. I'm happy I did.  Call them, and they will get you everything you need. It's easy.
View Quote

+1!!!
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 5:45:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Well, I ended up paying $15.5k for the receiver.  Can't complain!  Not too many unfired M16's out there.
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 7:52:26 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/HLzXqkQ.jpg

View Quote

That is pure sex.

Link Posted: 3/3/2014 8:29:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

That is pure sex.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/HLzXqkQ.jpg

That is pure sex.

Heres a video of it running!

YouTube
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 2:43:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Test it first.

Mines was not to spec and so it only worked with one upper and one bcg that was modified for it.

M60 Joe took care of it but it was a near 2 year wait.
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 9:47:06 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Test it first.

Mines was not to spec and so it only worked with one upper and one bcg that was modified for it.

View Quote

How long was M60 Joe's part?  I am assuming most of that was ATF.
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 10:31:40 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Test it first.

I was about to say, if that's the case I'll just fix it myself, lol.
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 3:01:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Test it first.

I'm thinking wait for the ATF as well. I sent an SP1 to him for the small pin conversion and to get a full refinish, I think it took a month? Maybe less? And that included shipping. I'm pretty sure it was less then a month. Maybe a couple of weeks.
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 6:01:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Test it first.

View Quote

HUH?  Show us shipping tracking numbers on this so called 2 year wait.  I have never had a turn around for repair that long.

Even repairing and sending out for anodizing and engraving turn around is 6-8 weeks.

Thanks to all who e-mailed me.

In this post you fixed it your self  
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_23/410865_just_took_possession_of_an_SGW_PAWS_M16.html

Is this you too?  "Screw you M60joe"  http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=02qkEE48qms
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 10:55:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

HUH?  Show us shipping tracking numbers on this so called 2 year wait.  I have never had a turn around for repair that long.

Even repairing and sending out for anodizing and engraving turn around is 6-8 weeks.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_23/410865_just_took_possession_of_an_SGW_PAWS_M16.html

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Test it first.

I'm glad to hear that Joe, I had been sitting on bed thinking about a 2 year wait if this thing had some issues.  That's a big relief.  Hopefully it wont, but if it does I know where to send it.
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 11:03:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Bump for HKILLER to read
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 12:15:23 AM EDT
[#43]
I should probably update my thread.  I did receive the gun, I ended up paying less than 16k for it by working out a deal since the transfer took so long.  The receiver was perfectly fine sans one issue, the selector hole wasn't in the right location.  So the selector would sit slightly crooked on semi and safe.  It's entirely cosmetic, but really annoying.  It's been mailed off to m60joe for repair.

But, it runs great, no issues there.  I made sure to check every single bit before I get this thing anodized.

M16 7.5"

.300blk

.22 upper

.45 upper

I had the gun engraved for auto.  As with most early A1 forgings, the seams were a little rough.  I made it a goal to clean up the receiver before I sent it off for anodizing.  I took some pictures of the forging before and after.  The front of the mag well also had a pretty nasty forging flaw which I took off.  

All cleaned up now.  Now just to blast it and hardcoat type III.
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 8:36:30 AM EDT
[#44]
sounds like mine is a factory m16???
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 10:04:59 AM EDT
[#45]
Yes
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 10:16:01 AM EDT
[#46]
Cool lower, very rare to find a unfired, untouched RR M16. Pretty decent price as well, post the pictures once you get it refinished
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 11:19:31 AM EDT
[#47]
Once I machined off all the forging flaws/seams I had the receiver blasted and anodized hardcoat type III. It came out pretty decent looking, however the shallow engraving done on the receiver back in the 80's really left nearly impossible to see selector markings.

But, that was a blessing... because I did not want a SAFE FIRE AUTO receiver.  I took this as an opporunity to re-engrave over these SAFE SEMI AUTO.  

It came out great, matched the engraving perfectly to the previous engraving, and the FIRE was so faint, it's completely invisible now with a proper depth.  Driving in the trigger guard roll pin was one of the most nerveracking moments.  I've never broken an ear off a receiver before, but the day before I was going to a couple of my friends did, which I couldn't help but keep in the back of my mind.  

Everything went well and finally, 1 year later to the day I am finished with my M16.  Now all I guess there is to do is shoot it?
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 1:06:28 PM EDT
[#48]
That looks awresome!  Great Job!  As you may recall I have almost the same lower in transfer.  Perhaps I'll be able to mark mine SAFE SEMI AUTO like yours, that is much more preferred.  Enjoy it!
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 1:17:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Nice! Looks good.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 3:49:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Looks awesome
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top