Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/16/2017 8:00:27 PM EDT
I'm not sure if you can love an inanimate object, but if you can, then I love this Thompson.  The condition, the quality of craftsmanship, the originality, and the PD history all make this gun amazing, and I still can't believe that it's mine.  Seriously, every time I see it I'm surprised that it's there.  I also can't believe that it's 96 years old.  96 YEARS!  That's old!!  

Anyways, here are a couple pictures of the inside and outside.  Everyone always shows the outside, so I wanted to share some pictures of the inside too.  The parts are machined beautifully and slide together tight like oiled glass.  Amazing!  A video of a complete breakdown of this gun, and VERY LITTLE shooting will be coming out eventually when I have some time.  

Dreams do come true, and hard work with a lot of searching does pay off.  Thanks for reading this post, hope you guys enjoy the pictures, and take care!

Link Posted: 7/16/2017 8:18:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I too am fascinated by these metallic pieces of art. I was fortunate this weekend to drool over the combined collections of TATA.
The American Thompson Association were guests of OGCA at the July meeting.
I assume you are a member or will be soon?
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 8:27:11 PM EDT
[#2]
that is cool and way to achieve your dream. I live is a semi state but at least have a 1927a1 sbr. that is probably as close as I will get. thanks for sharing
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 8:27:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I love the precise machining and beautiful craftsmanship. That is truly an industrial work of art. Congratulations on yet another fine addition to your excellent collection. It's...simply...gawgeous!!!
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 8:30:06 PM EDT
[#4]
That's a damn fine piece of craftsmanship there, congratulations!!!
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 8:40:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Blish lock! First one I've ever seen!
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 8:55:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Very nice....is it auto-ord-co, or Thompson marked up top?

Square actuator cut?

I've got its sister...a '21A 676X.......with an interesting past.....

The exterior finish on these is like a 1960's Python......all the internals are almost "electropolished"....like a Schmidt Rubin bolt

Haven't shot mine in 10 years.....it's too pretty...I'll throw up a pic as soon as I get another (non-PB) host
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 9:31:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Very cool!  Get those pictures posted!

Mine is the Auto Ordnance marked on top with the square actuator slot.  

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Square actuator cut?

The exterior finish on these is like a 1960's Python......all the internals are almost "electropolished"....like a Schmidt Rubin bolt

Haven't shot mine in 10 years.....it's too pretty...I'll throw up a pic as soon as I get another (non-PB) host
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 9:47:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Best model Thompson . Love the fins and forestock .
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 12:21:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Mine is a 1928 with an 80% receiver.

The Clash - Tommy Gun (Official Video)

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 12:53:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Looks like all 676x guns were Navys or ACs, except for one.  That one was with an Illinois Police Department.  I assume that one is yours?

Quoted:

Square actuator cut?

View Quote
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 11:06:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Outstanding, congratulations College Boy. Looks like a fine piece, and a C drum as well as a shot mag!
Well done.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 12:06:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Outstanding, congratulations College Boy. Looks like a fine piece, and a C drum as well as a shot mag!
Well done.
View Quote
Thanks!  The C drum number matches the gun's serial number too!
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 7:45:03 AM EDT
[#13]
The 1921 Thompson is an icon.  Congratulations.

In case you are not aware and wish to avoid potential damage to your C drum, Numrich is now selling a Taiwanese made Thompson C drum for about $400.  It has received favorable reviews from a number of buyers on the Machinegunboards.com Thompson forum.

Enjoy!
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 2:09:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Wow, truly awesome.

Wait until you see how accurate the Thompson is.

You'll be an expert marksman half way through your second mag
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 2:12:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Most people don't understand how "deluxe" that the Thompson is.

They put every single possible design feature they could think of on the gun and then Colt built them like a fine sporting firearm.

Every part on the gun is sculpted from solid steel like old-school industrial art.

The OPs gun was shipped without the "Cutts" compensator.  That was an optional feature at the time.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 3:44:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Not having a Cutts comp on it is a bonus as far as I'm concerned. They are a PITA to clean and so many were added to guns over the years they are now rarer without them.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 11:11:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Congrats on finally getting the 21 you wanted.  That is a beautiful gun.  

I have been tempted to sell my 1928 and upgrade to one of the Colt 21s from the  STLPD Thompson hoard currently up for sale... being its my hometown.

I would love to have a Colt  21 or 21 AC but am concerned I would be apprehensive about shooting it (or letting others shoot it).  

As much as I would love to keep my current Savage 1928 as a shooter and add a STLPD Colt 21 as more of a collector piece, I just cant justify having ~$60K  tied up in two Thompsons.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 11:19:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Absolutely beautiful gun. You should be very proud!

As they say the best things in life are free, but the next best things are expensive as hell.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 12:05:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The 1921 Thompson is an icon.  Congratulations.

In case you are not aware and wish to avoid potential damage to your C drum, Numrich is now selling a Taiwanese made Thompson C drum for about $400.  It has received favorable reviews from a number of buyers on the Machinegunboards.com Thompson forum.

Enjoy!
View Quote
Thank you for the advice!
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 12:17:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Stunning piece of history, art and machinery all at the same time.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 1:36:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Stunning piece of history, art and machinery all at the same time.
View Quote
Yup.  Congrats.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 10:10:00 AM EDT
[#22]
you should post these pictures over on machingunboards.com

that's where the Thompson fanatics hang out

those guys know a remarkable amount of facts
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 3:04:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
you should post these pictures over on machingunboards.com

that's where the Thompson fanatics hang out

those guys know a remarkable amount of facts
View Quote
I plan on it.  Just going to get better pictures first.  I bought it from a well known member there.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 8:15:20 PM EDT
[#24]
The pictures aren't working for me.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top