Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/19/2017 5:14:02 PM EDT
How much is a transferable Tec-9 worth? Found someone selling one but not sure what to offer.

Reuben has a KG99 listed for $9k, but hes always like 25% over market price. Maybe $6-7?
http://dealernfa.com/shop/intratec-kg99-9mm-25797/
Attachment Attached File

Anyone know much about them? They seem kind of ghetto but for the right price it might be a fun SMG to own.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 7:48:54 PM EDT
[#1]
IIRC, there were several types of full auto Tec-9s made.  As the receiver is plastic (can and does crack when too much hot ammo is used), the RR is generally not as desirable as a registered  bolt.  But wait for some expert(s) with experience to give some more detailed guidance than my faded memory can.

Best of luck, whatever you decide to do.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 12:07:47 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't know a whole shitload about Tec-9s other than the semi ones I have shot are not the highest quality firearm I have ever seen and consensus when I was considering getting a transferable one when they were cheaper was.....

A. Buy a registered bolt because the receivers crack.
B. I hope you like to tinker/troubleshoot.

I would throw maybe 5K at a registered bolt just to round out my collection of the "terrifying three"  but other than that there isn't a whole lot of allure.

Link Posted: 4/20/2017 11:40:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 12:22:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I shot a buddies semi auto Tec9 when i first started shooting. From the research i did back in the day they were plagued with cracked receivers, misaligned welded on sites and were famous for being inaccurate overall. I determined they looked cool but, that was about all.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 1:08:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Why not just pick one up in semi auto. They are only about $400.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 2:56:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why not just pick one up in semi auto. They are only about $400.
View Quote
Because that's boring and also makes for a terrible investment.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 8:43:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Not as bad as a broken plastic receiver
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 8:23:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not as bad as a broken plastic receiver
View Quote
Yep, that's why I didn't buy it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 10:29:03 AM EDT
[#9]
I was offered a TEC-9 for sale about two years ago. After a lot of research, I passed on it.

The problem is that the transferable is based off of a crappy gun to begin with. TEC-9s are not known for their high quality, and you will have serious issues with reliability, parts wear, and gunsmithing/service issues. As far as I could find, the TEC9 was not originally designed to be a F/A weapon, so using it as a F/A weapon may unnecessarily stress the gun beyond its already limited capacity.

The biggest problem with owning a TEC-9 is that Intratec, the company that manufactured the gun, went out of business in 2001. It's not like the AR platform, where if Colt went out of business, there would be tons of other companies making AR parts. As far as I could find, the only source of TEC-9 parts would be other existing guns or NOS, which can be found on GB.

So start buying up those TEC-9s on GB, if you buy the transferable and intend to shoot it. The problem with that idea is that semi auto TEC-9s are starting to make a comeback in the collectibility market, so that might be an expensive proposition. Right now, a semi TEC-9 is going for $500 and plateaus around $600.

Also, there are different generations of TEC-9s, with the latter generations allegedly solving the cracked receiver issue. Allegedly.

The offering price was 9k. I wonder if it's the same gun.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 7:18:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Lol, I have a closed bolt semi tech 9 and a kimmel ap9. I bought them only because I grew up watching Miami vice.  Lol, they need hot rounds to run, but it kills them.  They are show pieces pretty much.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top