Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/29/2017 3:09:02 PM EDT
I recently dove head first into an SWD M11/9. I'll have the original upper, Lage Max-11k Mk2, and a Lage Max-31 Mk2 to use with it. I need help or guidance with purchasing the Suomi drum mags to feed the Max-31 upper. I've never purchased surplus mags before and am looking for whether or not I can trust the seller, are Finnish better than others, or is there a better place to order from that I haven't found? Is there anything I'm missing that I should be taking into consideration for using these with a machine gun?

So far these are what I'm looking at:

BRP Corp - $65

US Machine Gun - $59.99

Numrich Gun Parts Corp - $59.95

Clearview Investments - $49.99

Liberty Tree - $59.00

What A Country - $52.95

ETA: I decided to purchase from "the guy on Uzitalk". Updates in posts below.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 3:17:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I dont use them in a MG but I bought one each from numrich, clear water, and what a country.

All were identical in condition and amount of cosmoline on them. I was placing various orders with each of them respectively and I just tossed a drum on the order.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 3:39:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I dont use them in a MG but I bought one each from numrich, clear water, and what a country.

All were identical in condition and amount of cosmoline on them. I was placing various orders with each of them respectively and I just tossed a drum on the order.
View Quote
Thanks for the response. Do they function ok? I was leaning towards What A Country but I've never purchased anything from them and couldn't find much good or bad about the company.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 9:51:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 10:06:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I've got lots of Suomi drums, all Finnish, and they all work perfectly. Mine are used in a BRP gun and were bought from a variety of sources.
View Quote
Did you do anything special to clean or oil them? Also, the BRP seems pretty versatile. They need to make a 22LR kit for it!
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 3:54:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Go here first:

Suomi drums
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 7:43:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 9:54:24 AM EDT
[#7]
I have drums from each of the places mentioned above.  They were all in pretty much the same good to average condition.  The best drums I have bought came from Recon Ordnance.  He has several grades with different prices from a little rough to very good for reasonable prices.  I use them in an actual Suomi, a Lage upper, and in a BRP gun.  Rock solid in each.  MPro 7 was used to clean them up.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 9:55:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Nothing special, just cleaned them up and that was it. M-31 drums are extremely well made and durable. I'd buy all you can now since prices will only go up. It wasn't that long ago that they could be bought every day for under $10. I wish I would have bought more back then.
View Quote
Thanks for the advice and short history lesson!
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 9:35:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks Howlin_Mad and the other member that private messaged me the info to "50 BMG". I sent the money today for six 'G1' condition drums for $270 shipped. I used slow mail so it will take a little longer to process and ship to me but who cares I'm not even a full week into my Form 4 for the gun! I'll try to post progress updates on shipping and pictures of the 'G1' condition drums. He's out of te G3 and G2 drums and has around 100 G1 drums left.

ETA: I have no way to verify the condition ratings but 50 BMG did provide a lot more information than any of the websites I listed in my first post. He also received pretty good feedback from the members who purchased from him.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 10:02:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Wow... who knew even these things would dry up?
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 10:40:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
no shit.

I bought 24 3 yrs ago for what $15 ea
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 11:21:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
no shit.

I bought 24 3 yrs ago for what $15 ea
View Quote
Yep, I'm either too young or too late to get into "the game" to take advantage of all of the awesome deals I find buried in the archives of numerous forums. The deals prior to the web are even crazier to hear about.

I'm purchasing 6 drums and kind of thought that may be overkill. What do you do with 24 or are they for holding on to as the prices creep up?
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 4:32:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yep, I'm either too young or too late to get into "the game" to take advantage of all of the awesome deals I find buried in the archives of numerous forums. The deals prior to the web are even crazier to hear about.

I'm purchasing 6 drums and kind of thought that may be overkill. What do you do with 24 or are they for holding on to as the prices creep up?
View Quote
I bought them to use with my Macs, but I never bought the lage upper for any of them.

so now they sit...
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 9:28:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I bought them to use with my Macs, but I never bought the lage upper for any of them.

so now they sit...
View Quote
They sit and appreciate! Also, the Max 31 uppers are in stock at Lage with no wait time. I purchased mine and received it in three days.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 10:55:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

They sit and appreciate! Also, the Max 31 uppers are in stock at Lage with no wait time. I purchased mine and received it in three days.
View Quote
Yup,

I will get a Max 31 one day. maybe.

Macs are not really doing it for me anymore.

I still LOVE my 10/9 and a stocker 10/45

The others not so much

Link Posted: 4/5/2017 9:59:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 10:56:25 AM EDT
[#17]
The drum mags I bought from What A Country were in really, really, good condition for surplus gear.

I also picked up some beater "G3" drum mags from a guy on Uzi-Talk.  They're ugly as sin, but look to be perfectly functional.  He's sold out of the beat up mags, but he still has the higher priced (but cosmetically prettier) drums available.  I ran in to a minor issue during the sale (completely unrelated to the seller or the mags he was selling), and he couldn't have been easier to deal with to resolve the problem.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 9:30:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Update on drum mag purchase from "the guy on Uzitalk":
I mailed the check on 4/2 and it was received and cashed 4/7 (confirmation e-mail was sent by the seller). The drums were shipped 4/10 and the seller sent pictures of the contents and package, as well as the tracking number. The expected delivery is Wednesday 4/12 but it is USPS so that really means Thursday 4/13. So far I'm really impressed with the level of communication and quick processing from this seller.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 10:02:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
Anything surplus ALWAYS dries up. It doesn't matter what it is.

I bought 6 or so of these mags for under $20 years ago and didn't even have a gun for them at the time, but I knew they were an incredible value.  

Kind of like how everyone was shocked when the Nickel a round 8mm Mauser ammo dried up. Uh what did you think was going to happen? It was being sold for basically scrap price. You could buy a crate of Turk 8mm for $39 at Knob Creek and shoot the ammo and then turn around and sell the cases for scrap for $25! It was insane!

Untold millions of rounds of this stuff was burnt up in converted Browning 1919 machine guns and semi autos and a bunch more was fed to Mausers at a slower pace because it was almost free range time, certainly cheaper than CCI Mini Mag .22 ammo at the time.

Lesson to be learned here is buy whatever you want when it's cheap and available, cause it will eventually no longer be as cheap or maybe even available!
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 5:39:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 10:10:59 AM EDT
[#21]
I was paying $20 each a few years back. I don't think they are really dried up yet. I think the market for them jumped when Lage made his uppers. The market adjusted for that.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 9:17:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Only place I would go to for Suomi drums is Recon Ordnance. He has bulk quantities with pricing based on the condition. I got 3 'great' ones and 3 'good' ones, total of six, for like $200 shipped.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 9:21:21 PM EDT
[#23]
clearview was selling suomi kits with 10 mags and 1 drum for $200 last year. At that price you basically got the kit for free considering what mags cost.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 9:28:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Only place I would go to for Suomi drums is Recon Ordnance. He has bulk quantities with pricing based on the condition. I got 3 'great' ones and 3 'good' ones, total of six, for like $200 shipped.
View Quote
I don't see any available from Recon???
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 11:20:20 AM EDT
[#25]
It's under the monthly specials tab. But just call and talk to I think his name is Gerry and he will tell you the what he has and at what prices. Also check out uzitalk>Mac 10 talk subforum and you will find everything you need to know in relation to the MAC's.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 1:30:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Thanks, found the ad!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top