Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/26/2017 10:10:57 AM EDT
Hi all.

I recently bought an Mac 11/9, and it's my first NFA registered "machine gun." Mechanically it's in great condition, but the surface coating is pretty worn. I've had thoughts of having it cerekoted, primarily for protecting it from corrosion. Since it was a relatively large investment in the gun, in both money and time (waiting for the stamp), I want to make sure there are no negative effects of having this done.
- Could it negatively impact performance? (Tolerances, heat buildup, etc). I'm thinking not, but wanted to check.
- Could it negatively affect value if I should someday decide to sell it? (My thoughts are that anyone who would buy it is buying it because it's a relatively cheap full auto, not because of the collector's value of it being an "ALL-ORIGINAL Mac 11/9").

My thoughts are that any effect would be either non-existant or positive.

I appreciate any feedback.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 11:08:25 AM EDT
[#1]
I am interested in the responses, too.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 11:29:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Hi all.

I recently bought an Mac 11/9, and it's my first NFA registered "machine gun." Mechanically it's in great condition, but the surface coating is pretty worn. I've had thoughts of having it cerekoted, primarily for protecting it from corrosion. Since it was a relatively large investment in the gun, in both money and time (waiting for the stamp), I want to make sure there are no negative effects of having this done.
- Could it negatively impact performance? (Tolerances, heat buildup, etc). I'm thinking not, but wanted to check.
- Could it negatively affect value if I should someday decide to sell it? (My thoughts are that anyone who would buy it is buying it because it's a relatively cheap full auto, not because of the collector's value of it being an "ALL-ORIGINAL Mac 11/9").

My thoughts are that any effect would be either non-existant or positive.

I appreciate any feedback.
View Quote

It is not a MAC, it is an SWD. Over 17,000 were made, making it one of the most common, if not the most common transferables out there, and one of the least expensive transferables you can get. Even NIB they do not command a premium.

I see no downside and only upside to refinishing it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 2:38:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I know some people feel that you should never refinish a machine gun because of the "collector value", but I disagree unless it's some absurdly rare example of a particular gun. I think refinishing a gun is a great idea, and I would pay more for a machine gun that looks great than one that looks 30 years old.

Being a machine gun that has virtually no intrinsic "collector" value if Hughes was repealed (i.e. Mac, Sten, RDIAS, HK pack - not a Thompson, etc.) only adds to that sentiment. I would re-finish, although I don't know if cerakote, parkerization, bluing, anodizing, or whatever other finish is the way to go with it. Never looked into refinishing anything enough to do the research.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 3:28:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I know some people feel that you should never refinish a machine gun because of the "collector value", but I disagree unless it's some absurdly rare example of a particular gun. I think refinishing a gun is a great idea, and I would pay more for a machine gun that looks great than one that looks 30 years old.

Being a machine gun that has virtually no intrinsic "collector" value if Hughes was repealed (i.e. Mac, Sten, RDIAS, HK pack - not a Thompson, etc.) only adds to that sentiment. I would re-finish, although I don't know if cerakote, parkerization, bluing, anodizing, or whatever other finish is the way to go with it. Never looked into refinishing anything enough to do the research.
View Quote
I'm going to add a caveat that a C&R Sten has plenty of intrinsic collector value.

With that said, I would view the gun as devalued if it had anything other than a professional refinish of the original finish or a similar professional finish - especially if it was rattle canned.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 5:22:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Most of the SWD M-11/9 that I've seen have some sort of "black oxide" type of finish. If I were going to refinish one, I would definitely go with a manganese phosphate (parkerized) finish. It would look similar to the original, but is superior in terms of durability and corrosion protection.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 5:49:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:56:18 PM EDT
[#7]
It will have no affect on the performance.

it shouldnt decrease its value as it has historic collectors value
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 7:45:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
That's pretty much my exact train of thought -- the only value it has is that it is a full auto. There's no value in the gun itself, since there were so many made (and if Hughes were repealed there would probably be millions more made, because they could probably be had for $500). And I wouldn't refinish it if it was a historical gun, from WWII or something.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 7:50:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

It is not a MAC, it is an SWD. Over 17,000 were made, making it one of the most common, if not the most common transferables out there, and one of the least expensive transferables you can get. Even NIB they do not command a premium.

I see no downside and only upside to refinishing it.
View Quote
You're right -- by bad. It has M-11/NINEmm on the side of it. I saw the M and read MAC into it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 7:56:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Most of the SWD M-11/9 that I've seen have some sort of "black oxide" type of finish. If I were going to refinish one, I would definitely go with a manganese phosphate (parkerized) finish. It would look similar to the original, but is superior in terms of durability and corrosion protection.
View Quote
I was thinking about a couple of options, and I don't remember which one (duracoat or cerakote) but one of them has a coating that gives it the parkerized look. I thought about that or perhaps a nice grey, like the SIG legion. I thought OD green would look kind of cool, too.

I have a couple of different uppers for it, so I was thinking of keeping with original colors, or a Legion grey, for the lower and original upper, then going for some interesting two-tone looks with the other uppers.

Still playing with the idea.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 7:59:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'm going to add a caveat that a C&R Sten has plenty of intrinsic collector value.

With that said, I would view the gun as devalued if it had anything other than a professional refinish of the original finish or a similar professional finish - especially if it was rattle canned.
View Quote
I agree. I'm not a big rattle can guy.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 1:40:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Personally I wouldn't buy an M11 that was refinished in something other than the original style parkerizing that was well done professionally. Collectors value is a subjective mushy term, and at this point all MG's are collectible.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 2:08:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Yeah I'd argue that all MGs now have intrinsic value based on the fact that Hughes will never go away.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 7:48:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Cerakote isn't going to be a big deal now that a shit ton of people are going to be drilling holes in their receivers for the Lage Max11/15 me included.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:13:57 AM EDT
[#15]
nickel boron all MGs 
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 1:25:31 AM EDT
[#16]
I had mine refinished.  

If you need pictures, I can provide them.

I recommend against nickel boron of receivers.  It provides nothing while looking like ass.  Bolts and moving parts?   That's different.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 1:41:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 8:13:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Go for it.. mine is literally in the shop getting this done.

Armor Black
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 7:33:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Go for it.. mine is literally in the shop getting this done.

Armor Black
View Quote
Did you have it reparked before the cerakote?
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 8:22:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Did you have it reparked before the cerakote?
View Quote
No
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top