Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/11/2016 2:56:07 AM EDT
What's the service life of AK-47 in full-auto before it start to keyholing?
I only shoot AK-47 in full-auto for obvious fun reason... occasionally full mag & drum dump but mostly burst fire.
Usually I let it cool before it gets too hot.
Also, how much does it cost to rebarrel the gun?
Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 11:02:05 AM EDT
[#1]
I would imagine it depends on which type of AK you have vs. how easy or hard it is to re-barrel.

Is it a milled or stamped receiver?
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 2:01:35 PM EDT
[#2]
In general AK 7.62 barrels seem to last longer than M4 5.56 barrels as the pressure is a lot less 55K vs. 45K psi.

The best thread I am aware on the topic of long term AK performance is from Ron @ Battlefield Vegas.

https://www.ar15.com/mobile/topic.html?b=4&f=64&t=159106&page=1

In general it appears that eithers the trunnions and/or receivers crack or the gun goes out of headspace  prior to barrel keyholing, but you can get upwards of 100K rounds through an AK (depending upon manufacture origin) before something serious goes wrong with the receiver.

The most important aspect of how long your AK lasts seem to be more country or manufacture of origin that round count.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top