Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2016 2:07:39 PM EDT
Unfortunately, I need to let go either Vector UZI or AK47 underfolder...  both weapons are transferable full-auto, of course.
They're both basically new and stayed in the safe most of its life.
I also have HK sear w/ variety of 9mm hosts and AK47 Spiker w/ wooden stock in bound.
Having a tough time deciding which one I should let go...
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 2:32:23 PM EDT
[#1]
If it's an option, I'd consider selling some Title 1 guns instead. If not... all things considered, especially your sear and 9mm hosts, I'd move the (presumably 9mm) Uzi. Cheaper and probably easier to replace later on (if you ever want to). That is, unless you're in love with it and not with the AK...
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 3:46:16 PM EDT
[#2]
If you absolutely must sell one, then the Uzi would be easier to replace later. Also probably worth more than the AK, these days.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 3:48:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like you have two AK47s, I would get rid of one. I would rather have a variety than have multiple of the same MG
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 3:52:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes, selling Title 1 weapon was my first task and still needed some additional fund...

You're right, I could probably replace the UZI if I wanted to without much trouble down the road.
It seems like UZI availability is always adequate compare to the transferable AK47s.
For UZI, I only use it to shoot cheap 22 caliber once in a while...

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If it's an option, I'd consider selling some Title 1 guns instead. If not... all things considered, especially your sear and 9mm hosts, I'd move the (presumably 9mm) Uzi. Cheaper and probably easier to replace later on (if you ever want to). That is, unless you're in love with it and not with the AK...
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 3:54:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Sounds like you have two AK47s, I would get rid of one. I would rather have a variety than have multiple of the same MG
View Quote

Agreed if you have an underfolder AK and an inbound full stock AK,  easy-peasy choice for me to ditch the underfolder AK and keep the HK Sear, Uzi, and full stock AK.

If it was just a question between an Uzi and AK (with no other spares of either) than for me it would probably come down to which one I enjoyed shooting more.

I own both and honestly and not a huge fan of either the Uzi or AK, but given that the Uzi can be suppressed, is cheaper to shoot, and I have more range options for the Uzi being pistol caliber, I would probably let the AK go between the two. (especially if it was an underfolder)
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 3:54:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 3:55:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Oh really?
I thought AK always bring more money to the table?

Quoted:
If you absolutely must sell one, then the Uzi would be easier to replace later. Also probably worth more than the AK, these days.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 3:57:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Which one you guys think appreciate more in value over the time?
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 4:10:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Oh really?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Oh really?

Quoted:

Transferable AK is cheaper than Uzi? Where?
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 4:36:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Oh really?

Quoted:

Maybe I'm not up on AK prices. I know Uzis have gone up sharply in the past few years.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 5:03:38 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd keep the UZI, just because I enjoy shooting the UZI more over the AK-47. Not to mention ammo is cheaper and it's more fun suppressed. And yeah with a fixed stock AK inbound, sell the underfolder, you'll love the fixed stock better for shooting.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:21:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Tough call. Given that you have two AKs, I would sell the underfolder. But that's me personally. I think the best advice has already been given - keep whatever you enjoy shooting the most.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 1:02:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Percentage-wise the Uzi hands down.  It wouldn't surprise me if the Uzi eventually came up to pricing parity with the AK over time.

AKs are generally slower movers and are more of an advanced collectors weapon.   To their detriment full auto AKs are one trick ponies with no end user changable caliber conversions, are in general more difficult to work on or repair without specialized knowledge tools, can't be suppressed easily/effectively, and IMHO are traditional com-bloc ergonomically crappy rattletraps guns that are poor shooters even in their full stock form. (god help you with the underfolder variety)

Most folks who are buying AKs generally already own many other machineguns.  I personally bought one to fill out a hole in a collection, not because I love shooting AKs.  I have a couple semi-AKs that I cant even remember the last time I shot them.

Uzi's on the other hand seem to really hold an allure as one of the first three machineguns folks buy.

Look at all the threads on this forum over the years asking " I have X dollars" what should I buy.   #1 answer is almost always M16 if budget allows and #2 is probably Uzi.   M11s are recommended only for folks who don't have the budget for M16s or Uzis and half of those responses are caveated with..."save more money and buy an Uzi or M16".  More buyers competing for a fixed pool of guns = greater price increases over time.

Since I have been buying machineguns, Uzis went from $2500 to $12500 guns, a roughly 5X increase over 15ish years.  AKs went from 6K to 18K guns, a 3X increase.  If history is any guide Uzis will continue to outperform AKs from an investment percentage standpoint and may eventually reach pricing parity as well.

Just my 2 cents anyway.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 7:14:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Awesome advice as always...
It looks like the choice is clear after reading your reply as well as others.
Thank you guys for helping me make a right decision... you guys are just awesome bunch of folks.

Quoted:

Percentage-wise the Uzi hands down.  It wouldn't surprise me if the Uzi eventually came up to pricing parity with the AK over time.

AKs are generally slower movers and are more of an advanced collectors weapon.   To their detriment full auto AKs are one trick ponies with no end user changable caliber conversions, are in general more difficult to work on or repair without specialized knowledge tools, can't be suppressed easily/effectively, and IMHO are traditional com-bloc ergonomically crappy rattletraps guns that are poor shooters even in their full stock form. (god help you with the underfolder variety)

Most folks who are buying AKs generally already own many other machineguns.  I personally bought one to fill out a hole in a collection, not because I love shooting AKs.  I have a couple semi-AKs that I cant even remember the last time I shot them.

Uzi's on the other hand seem to really hold an allure as one of the first three machineguns folks buy.

Look at all the threads on this forum over the years asking " I have X dollars" what should I buy.   #1 answer is almost always M16 if budget allows and #2 is probably Uzi.   M11s are recommended only for folks who don't have the budget for M16s or Uzis and half of those responses are caveated with..."save more money and buy an Uzi or M16".  More buyers competing for a fixed pool of guns = greater price increases over time.

Since I have been buying machineguns, Uzis went from $2500 to $12500 guns, a roughly 5X increase over 15ish years.  AKs went from 6K to 18K guns, a 3X increase.  If history is any guide Uzis will continue to outperform AKs from an investment percentage standpoint and may eventually reach pricing parity as well.

Just my 2 cents anyway.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just my 2 cents anyway.

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 11:00:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Yes, selling Title 1 weapon was my first task and still needed some additional fund...

You're right, I could probably replace the UZI if I wanted to without much trouble down the road.
It seems like UZI availability is always adequate compare to the transferable AK47s.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You got your UZI 22 kit to work?

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 11:22:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Just my 2 cents anyway.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just my 2 cents anyway.

It seems to me that the "gold standard" MGs are UZI, M16, MP5, and Thompson.  Those are the wish list guns of practically every single gun owner.

You sort of need to include MAC in that list because although the MAC isn't a wish list gun, the demand is very high due to the low cost.

I would put the AK in the 2nd tier of guns after that, like the MP40, BAR and MG42.  These are guns that practically everyone wants.

So I don't think the difference in demand of the UZI and AK would be great enough to influence my decision on which one to sell.

Either one would sell easily if priced properly.

I think the OP is going to be very unhappy in 5 years when he sees the prices on these guns he's selling.

Even a modest increase of 10% a year is going to put the UZI into the low $20s in 5 years.

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 12:52:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Not really... still on going project.
I've two Vector 2 kits but can't get more than 10rds before it jams.

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 2:00:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I think the OP is going to be very unhappy in 5 years when he sees the prices on these guns he's selling.

Even a modest increase of 10% a year is going to put the UZI into the low $20s in 5 years.
View Quote

I agree that the OP and almost all former MG owners look back years later and kick themselves. My dad and uncle both owned really nice thompson MGs, bought before 86' and sold in the early 90's thinking they timed the market just right. Those guns if thye still had them would be worth more than their entire firearm collections.

But sometimes expenses come up, and youre forced to make tough choices. As great of a financial investment (an a fun one!) as MG is, its not worth running up $10,000 on a high interest credit card to pay off say a medical bill, or taking out a auto loan or student loan at a interest rathe higher than the MGs return.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 9:41:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 10:41:15 AM EDT
[#20]
If I had to choose which to sell, it would be the AK. That's not an easy decision though.  I love AKs. I kept one in my truck in Afghanistan (an AMD-65), and I had another underfolder 56 that I kept around. I loved shooting the underfolder, but the AMD-65 was so much more of better weapon when it came to handling. Anyway, I loved shooting that type 56. However, an Uzi is a very nice weapon, and they have increased in value more as a percentage over the AK. Its already been said that most AK collectors do it for just that. To fill that void or because they just really love AKs. I think the uzi has more of a following anyway. The last AK I saw sell locally went for $17k or $18k, which was when a M16 was going for just slightly more, and frankly I'd rather just buy the M16 because you can do more with it. I don't think AKs will be going that much higher anyway. You can't really mod them up unless you convert them to a krink or something. Again, its a tough decision. I would just ask yourself which one you enjoy shooting more.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 2:25:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
If I had to choose which to sell, it would be the AK. That's not an easy decision though.  I love AKs. I kept one in my truck in Afghanistan (an AMD-65), and I had another underfolder 56 that I kept around. I loved shooting the underfolder, but the AMD-65 was so much more of better weapon when it came to handling. Anyway, I loved shooting that type 56. However, an Uzi is a very nice weapon, and they have increased in value more as a percentage over the AK. Its already been said that most AK collectors do it for just that. To fill that void or because they just really love AKs. I think the uzi has more of a following anyway. The last AK I saw sell locally went for $17k or $18k, which was when a M16 was going for just slightly more, and frankly I'd rather just buy the M16 because you can do more with it. I don't think AKs will be going that much higher anyway. You can't really mod them up unless you convert them to a krink or something. Again, its a tough decision. I would just ask yourself which one you enjoy shooting more.
View Quote

The rising tide lifts all boats

Link Posted: 8/30/2016 3:35:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The rising tide lifts all boats
View Quote

What? Reisings are driving prices up?  

Oh wait, never mind.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 1:56:38 AM EDT
[#23]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://www.troll.me/images/keanu-reeves/whoa-are-you-a-wizard.jpg

mine runs great,
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 6:36:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Late to the party but I like the ability to shoot dirt cheap 9MM ammo in an UZI and not worrying  about a squib round destroying the value of the gun.
Swap barrels;
Next.

There is "something" about an UZI.
Even more so than an MP5 IMO.

I know of a real buyer looking for an AK.
If you still have it LMK.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top