Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/13/2016 5:04:01 AM EDT
A friend has several pre '86 registered Sten tubes that have never been built and I'm trying to talk him out of one of them.

I'm not a big fan of Stens and would rather have it built up as a Sterling. Is there anybody still doing these?

Any idea how much it would run me?
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 6:57:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 8:21:06 AM EDT
[#2]
I called him a few days ago, while he's not doing sten to stenling conversions, I can't say whether he's building tubes from scratch.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 9:13:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Don's guns in Ft Myers does/did them. I've seen some of his, and they looked nice.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 4:42:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Don's guns in Ft Myers does/did them. I've seen some of his, and they looked nice.
View Quote

I can second this... I have one by Don Quinell ("Don's Guns") and can confirm that it takes
standard Serling parts & runs great.

Dunno if they're better/worse than Andrewski, but they're still available.
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 4:10:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks, I'll give them a call on Monday.

Any idea on costs?
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 5:37:53 PM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Thanks, I'll give them a call on Monday.

Any idea on costs?
View Quote

Don is rough around the edges, but does good work.

Think about this?

Link Posted: 8/15/2016 2:19:28 AM EDT
[#7]
I like it but I'm not sure how available parts kits are versus Sten or Sterlings
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 2:23:13 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I like it but I'm not sure how available parts kits are versus Sten or Sterlings
View Quote
lancaster

Link Posted: 8/15/2016 5:13:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Right, I have never searched out parts kits for one though where I know Sten and Sterling kits are pretty common while a quick search does not turn up a Lanchester kit
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 9:25:26 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Right, I have never searched out parts kits for one though where I know Sten and Sterling kits are pretty common while a quick search does not turn up a Lanchester kit
View Quote

ill trade you a Reg tube for a Lanchester parts kit,
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 11:50:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Considering I haven't even got him to agree to part with one yet I'm going to have to respectfully decline
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:40:19 AM EDT
[#12]
I thought about having my Sten MK II converted to a Stenling. This was over 5 years ago.. I called John Andrewski, and he also stated that certain tubes had the serial numbers in a place that wold make the conversion difficult , due to the metal that must be removed, and the fact that he could not alter the initial serial numbers or move them.  I had a Wilson tube. He preferred to build from a virgin tube.... I was lucky enough to find a DLO Sterling tube and them after it was transferred to me, had him build the gun.. I want to say he charged right about $1000.00 ( several years ago) . His work and quality is amazing... It's one of my favorites....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top