Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/7/2016 9:07:01 PM EDT
so a friend calls me today, asks me what can be done with an attic find that's apparently a WWII bring back.  A friend of his who lives in New York state was cleaning out his deceased grandfathers house and found a WWII Sten with some accessories which sounded like a mag pouch and some mags mostly.  He wants to know if there is a process whereby it can be transferred to a museum or should he dispose of it.  I'm no class 3 expert by any stretch of the imagination, so was hoping there might be some advice I could give him and if its possible to donate such an animal to a museum?
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 9:23:34 PM EDT
[#1]
If only there was a prior thread about this topic...
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_17/322347_So_you_found_an_MG_in_the_attic______.html
This type of situation is completely fascinating to me.
I wish your acquaintance the best of luck in finding the paperwork.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 9:26:28 PM EDT
[#2]
You INTEND to just keep it for convenience right?
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 9:30:59 PM EDT
[#3]
And why can't he keep it?
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 9:58:03 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

And why can't he keep it?
View Quote
Yea, he doesn't intend to do anything illegal with it.

Link Posted: 7/7/2016 10:39:54 PM EDT
[#5]
An old timer had a gun with 2 triggers in the closet.
I was like 10. He said they were match set triggers.

The gun was a Beretta SMG  
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 7:48:03 AM EDT
[#6]
The first thing your friend needs to do is eliminate ANY possibility that Gramps registered the Sten during the amnesty in 1968.  If he did, there's a good possibility that the gun can eventually be sold as a transferable.  I would guess an original WW II Sten is running around $8K these days, so it's worth checking.

The best person I can think of to advise your friend is Bob Naess, of Black River Militaria in Vermont.  He has been playing with MGs since the 50s and has helped quite a few people untangle messed-up ownership problems.  It can be done.

If it turns out to be non-transferable, it can be cut up and sold as a parts set or donated to a legitimate museum for a tax write-off.  I am not familiar with NY state laws in this area and they might complicate things.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 4:19:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Calling Black River is a good idea

I'm pretty sure that if war trophy papers can be found, the gun can get into the NFA registry.  

If it isn't in the registry already
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 3:56:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If only there was a prior thread about this topic...
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_17/322347_So_you_found_an_MG_in_the_attic______.html
This type of situation is completely fascinating to me.
I wish your acquaintance the best of luck in finding the paperwork.
View Quote

All of this
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 4:55:14 PM EDT
[#9]
thank you all
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 6:11:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Either way, it needs to get out of NYS pronto unless your friend is active LE. Civilian ownership of MG in NY is not permitted.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top