Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/23/2016 5:58:37 PM EDT
I'm thinking about purchasing a new in box SWD M11/9. In the pictures, I've noticed some rust. Is this much of an issue? What's the best way to remedy this is If I purchase it?

Edit: Form 4 mailed!!! Woot woot!!! And pictures added.
</a>" />
" />
" />

" />
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 6:22:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Sure it's not presurvative?
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 6:51:03 PM EDT
[#2]
You sure its rust?  Plenty of old lubes or grease can turn that color over time.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 7:04:22 PM EDT
[#3]
No, I'm not sure it's rust. This is all kind of new to me; it just looked like rust. Either way I just mailed out a check to him and purchased it. I've been looking for one local, and this one was.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 7:41:26 PM EDT
[#4]
How much did you get it for?
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 7:52:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

$7,200
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 8:06:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 8:35:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Nice
View Quote

Thanks! I feel very comfortable with what I paid. It's my first SMG and I only have to do a single form 4, so I'm pretty excited. It's a private sale too, so no sales tax either.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 8:48:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Congratulations!

Don't worry, you'll have a Lage Max-11k mk2 and a dedicated .22 side cocking upper ready to go before the paperwork clears. Ask me how I know this? The wait for my first MG is really killing me, but I had a form 3/form 4/correction letter so far. A single form 4 is nice to hear.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 10:32:35 AM EDT
[#9]
I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Firing a MAC is not a gentle event and the finish is going to take some wear as soon as you start using it.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 1:04:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

$7,200
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

$7,200

Link Posted: 5/24/2016 4:30:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

$7,200

Thanks! You and I seem to share a love for a lot of the same firearms. I need some SBS action now.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 8:33:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Did you get in on a Tungsten bolt yet? 70 of the 100 are already spoken for.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 9:25:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Lol!

No.

Its the cheapest firearm made....if that rust bothers you, you will not be happy with the mac11.

Mine:

https://youtu.be/zXVqIDYUWzI

POS
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 9:59:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Thanks! You and I seem to share a love for a lot of the same firearms. I need some SBS action now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

$7,200

Link Posted: 5/24/2016 10:06:00 PM EDT
[#15]
It's been sitting in styrofoam packaging for 30 years.  Could be minor rust, or just petrified grease/oil.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 2:40:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
It's been sitting in styrofoam packaging for 30 years.  Could be minor rust, or just petrified grease/oil.
View Quote

probably it's just a little rust from moisture in the air

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 3:48:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's the best way to treat and neutralize it if it's rust?
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 8:25:35 AM EDT
[#18]
For the rust, I'd just hand rub any regular gun oil on the whole gun.  Also, if it is NIB, it is highly likely that the buffer has oxidized into useless crumbling debris.  Replace or risk damage to the firearm.  The sear may be improperly hardened as well, which, after some shooting can cause runaways, and not the Del Shannon or Bon Jovi kind.

The UziTalk.com website has a MAC pattern firearm forum that you may wish to peruse.

Enjoy!

MHO, YMMV, et cetera.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 10:43:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
For the rust, I'd just hand rub any regular gun oil on the whole gun.  Also, if it is NIB, it is highly likely that the buffer has oxidized into useless crumbling debris.  Replace or risk damage to the firearm.  The sear may be improperly hardened as well, which, after some shooting can cause runaways, and not the Del Shannon or Bon Jovi kind.

The UziTalk.com website has a MAC pattern firearm forum that you may wish to peruse.

Enjoy!

MHO, YMMV, et cetera.
View Quote

Thanks for the good advice. Will do.
LOL!! Now I'll have that song in my head all day!!!
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 2:21:16 PM EDT
[#20]
it's probably just surface rust

hit it with some WD40 and a cloth, maybe some very very fine steel wool

you can dab on some rust converter solution from an auto parts store with q-tip if you like

I have seen many guns come out of storage with some surface rust, usually it just rubs right off the gun

once it's rubbed off and a thin film of gun oil is applied, it won't come back.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 3:15:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
it's probably just surface rust

hit it with some WD40 and a cloth, maybe some very very fine steel wool

you can dab on some rust converter solution from an auto parts store with q-tip if you like

I have seen many guns come out of storage with some surface rust, usually it just rubs right off the gun

once it's rubbed off and a thin film of gun oil is applied, it won't come back.
View Quote

Great to know, and good info.  Thank you!

I got on the Lage list for the Max-11 MKII , and am #83 on the list. It's a 4-6 month long backlog, but that's just about right for timing with my form 4.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 4:16:09 PM EDT
[#22]
SA brought up a good point.  Go order buffers now, as the original is definately shot.  Hell, NIB M11 buffers were shot 15 years ago.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 6:13:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Lol!

No.

Its the cheapest firearm made....if that rust bothers you, you will not be happy with the mac11.

Mine:

https://youtu.be/zXVqIDYUWzI

POS
View Quote

That's embarrassing!! lol
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 9:34:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
SA brought up a good point.  Go order buffers now, as the original is definately shot.  Hell, NIB M11 buffers were shot 15 years ago.
View Quote

Great advice for sure. I ordered one from Lage after reading that along with a sear.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 2:18:52 AM EDT
[#25]
While you are at it, get a Lage safety, internal safety slide, full auto only competition trigger (huge upgrade), and contact VegasSMG on uzitalk for a tungsten bolt. The Lage .22 kit for the stock upper is pretty fun, too.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 11:46:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Second all the above, but I stuck with the select fire trigger. I just like variety.

My tungsten bolt will be here tomorrow!
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 5:59:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
While you are at it, get a Lage safety, internal safety slide, full auto only competition trigger (huge upgrade), and contact VegasSMG on uzitalk for a tungsten bolt. The Lage .22 kit for the stock upper is pretty fun, too.
View Quote

Please excuse my lack of knowledge, but what does the tungsten bolt do that the Lage Max-11 mk2 doesn't do? The lLage slows the rate of fire and gives you a complete upper with bolt and barrel. The tungsten bolt just replaces the bolt to slow the rate of fire. Both are the same cost.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 6:17:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Tungsten slows it down more than the Lage upper, with the weight more inline with the bore in a much smaller package.

With a side cocking upper and optics it is a match winning combination.

Mine came today. It looks great but the weather is crap. I will test it tomorrow.

ETA - Love my Lage stuff. The MAX-31MK2 is great fun.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 7:50:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Please excuse my lack of knowledge, but what does the tungsten bolt do that the Lage Max-11 mk2 doesn't do? The Lage slows the rate of fire and gives you a complete upper with bolt and barrel. The tungsten bolt just replaces the bolt to slow the rate of fire. Both are the same cost.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please excuse my lack of knowledge, but what does the tungsten bolt do that the Lage Max-11 mk2 doesn't do? The Lage slows the rate of fire and gives you a complete upper with bolt and barrel. The tungsten bolt just replaces the bolt to slow the rate of fire. Both are the same cost.

I have an M11 .380 in process and as soon as the order window opens for the .380 tungsten bolt opens, I'm going to order one.  What the tungsten bolt does that I like is that it slows the gun down to a rational ROF in the same form factor package.  The MAC pattern slow-rate-of-fire upper assemblies from the various makers all add to the overall size of the package.  I want to keep the M11.380 as a 'machine pistol' sized PDW.

I'm sure that there are buyers for both types of modifications to the original MAC pattern guns, and I'm sure that there are those who like the original firearms as they are.

MHO, YMMV, et cetera.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 10:03:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Thanks for the explanation guys. I learn something new everyday. I think I'll stick with being on the list for the Lage Max-11 mk2. The trigger and other upgrades sound like a must though.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 10:23:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Shot this morning with the tungsten bolt at 25 yards. By far the best upgrade on the market.

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 10:54:16 AM EDT
[#32]
I purchased a new-in-box SWD 11/9 that had what I would consider extreme rust with deep pitting on the bolt. The funny thing was that nothing else on the gun was rusting, even the areas inside the upper that were in contact with the deeply rusted bolt. It cleaned up but the pitting was deep. It functions fine and the pitting is mostly concealed by the upper. I have been told that most of these guns were not fully assembled when the receivers were first registered ('86 guns in particular) and that registered receivers and parts floated around between Dealers for years often in less than ideal storage conditions before be fully assembled and sold at retail.

Without seeing what the inside of the receiver looks like, it is hard to say but what I see in the picture will likely clean up. The two-piece front pin is easy and cheap to replace. The rust looks like a little condensation formed in the plastic bag these guns were sealed in.

However, I would probably ask the seller to send you pictures of the inside of the receiver.

ETA- I love my Lage MAX 11/9 Mk.2 conversion and other Lage upgrades
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 1:23:22 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Shot this morning with the tungsten bolt at 25 yards. By far the best upgrade on the market.

http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu206/lokifoxbt/315A9A33-0EF3-49C3-9580-87E91E6B44C7_zpsjbm5twik.jpg
View Quote
video?

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 1:55:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I purchased a new-in-box SWD 11/9 that had what I would consider extreme rust with deep pitting on the bolt. The funny thing was that nothing else on the gun was rusting, even the areas inside the upper that were in contact with the deeply rusted bolt. It cleaned up but the pitting was deep. It functions fine and the pitting is mostly concealed by the upper. I have been told that most of these guns were not fully assembled when the receivers were first registered ('86 guns in particular) and that registered receivers and parts floated around between Dealers for years often in less than ideal storage conditions before be fully assembled and sold at retail.

Without seeing what the inside of the receiver looks like, it is hard to say but what I see in the picture will likely clean up. The two-piece front pin is easy and cheap to replace. The rust looks like a little condensation formed in the plastic bag these guns were sealed in.

However, I would probably ask the seller to send you pictures of the inside of the receiver.

ETA- I love my Lage MAX 11/9 Mk.2 conversion and other Lage upgrades
View Quote

Thanks for that info. I'm going to have him send some photo's of the inside, or make some arrangements to go have a look at it since he's local. I'm not really too worried about it though, as like you said, it can be remedied. It's going to be a shooter anyhow, and not a safe paperweight.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 2:26:27 AM EDT
[#35]
Well, it's official. I mailed off my form 4 to the ATF!! This experience so far has just been awesome. Doing a form 4 private sale in-state is the bomb!!! I'm am so excited about my first SMG purchase.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 9:53:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Nice!!! You will love this little buzz gun. Took mine out today for about 500 rds. Lage goodies are a must.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 6:55:47 PM EDT
[#37]
As others have said, you must do at minimum a max 11. I would also suggest a max 31,some shockwave mags, and for sure a bowers vers9s for a suppressor. That package will keep you nicely outfitted for many years to come.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 10:45:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
As others have said, you must do at minimum a max 11. I would also suggest a max 31,some shockwave mags, and for sure a bowers vers9s for a suppressor. That package will keep you nicely outfitted for many years to come.
View Quote

I've got a Max11 mk2 on order (#83). A Max-31 will be soon to follow. I have a couple of Octane 45's, and am 60 days into my form 4 on an Omega 9k. I have considered the Bowers Vers9 as a dedicated can for the M11, but I need to see if it'll work with the Griffin 3-lug coupler as I'm going to put a 3-lug on the barrels. I've already ordered up some zmags. I've done so many form 4's that I normally just put the wait out of my mind, but I don't think this one is going to be so easy. I need to stay busy!!!
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 11:08:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

$7,200
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

$7,200

Wow, sold one a couple years back for $3500 paid $1000.

Don't worry about the rust there. I was probably stored in a safe with high humidity. Won't cause any functional issue and you can always have it reparked or painted cheaply.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 8:51:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

My F4 was submitted recently as well for an M11/9 as well as a Bowers Vers9s . I am off to do some research on this tungsten bolt

Holy S*** $750 bolt and am I reading correctly that it won't work in a Lage upper?
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 10:43:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Correct. It's made for an OEM sized upper. ROF is slower than Lage. So, you get a compact gun with the rate of fire of a full sized Uzi.

Well worth it. My Lage is put away for the forseeable future.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 11:52:18 PM EDT
[#42]
I would go for the Lage upper rather than the tungsten bolt

the M11/9 really isn't that great of a gun, but it makes an awesome trigger pack for a new upper

Link Posted: 6/1/2016 1:10:17 AM EDT
[#43]
If someone is looking to keep things pretty much stock, but wants to slow the rate of fire, I can see how the tungsten bolt would be appealing. One of the appeals of the Lage Max-11 mk2 kit to me, is that it stretches things out a bit. It's a good jumping off point for me, but could see stretching it out even further with the Max-31 mk2. Anyone out there have the Max-31 mk2? How's the weight/balance? Should I get on the weight list for it too; or is the Max-11 mk2 just about perfect?
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 12:14:32 PM EDT
[#44]
I have a MAX-11, MAX-31MK2 and the tungsten bolt. I prefer the bolt all day long. I like the MAX-31 but it isn't as easy to shoot as the bolt. The appeal of drums wanes pretty fast.
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 4:33:06 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

I have a MAX-11, MAX-31MK2 and the tungsten bolt. I prefer the bolt all day long. I like the MAX-31 but it isn't as easy to shoot as the bolt. The appeal of drums wanes pretty fast.
View Quote

It's fun for some 70 rd mag dumps but yea.. Since i've installed my Max11 Mk2 upper, i've never even thought about installing the Max31 upper. Considering selling it.

Link Posted: 6/1/2016 5:39:58 PM EDT
[#46]
I like the max-11k personally. It's just a hair bigger than the original upper and looks perfect with the integrated k-grip IMO.
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 8:40:17 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I like the max-11k personally. It's just a hair bigger than the original upper and looks perfect with the integrated k-grip IMO.
View Quote

I'm thinking about this myself.....full speed of course.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 7:59:59 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is the nice thing about having the 11/9 registered receiver, so many options. I love my MAX 11 Mk.2 upper but I also want to buy the MAX 31 and MAX 11k as well. It is like having a choice of shooting four different machineguns in one (including the original upper).
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 1:18:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

That is the nice thing about having the 11/9 registered receiver, so many options. I love my MAX 11 Mk.2 upper but I also want to buy the MAX 31 and MAX 11k as well. It is like having a choice of shooting four different machineguns in one (including the original upper).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I couldn't agree with this statement anymore. Not only is the M11 one of the cheapest SMG's available, it's also has a huge aftermarket support base. It's easy to see the appeal this gun has and why demand has picked up so much. I'm glad I finally picked one up!
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 8:24:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Now you guys got me thinking about the bolt.

Macjack works great with a lage, should be great with the bolt too!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top